Remove Advertisements

[10] Lord Rhyolith

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Lord Rhyolith

Postby Jeremoot » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:55 am

Hotspur wrote:Can anyone confirm that the Adds only spawn at ranged player locations? If this is so, this would be a strong case for keeping ranged dps / heals stacked up to the side.

And Hi!

Hotspur

Definitely not true, I've had adds spawn on top off the melee dps controlling Rhyolith's legs.
Jeremoot

Postby Era » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 am

Adds can spawn at any player, as far as I know. I'm usually the person one-tanking this, and they seem to spawn at me just as often as in the ranged/healer pile and by the melees.

And the adds should be down quickly (at least in the beginning before things start to get real hectic). We usually have only one hunter dealing with it, however his DPS lies at about 20k, and a mage helping out when it gets flooded.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Tebin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Had our thousandth wipe on this fight tonight. Boss decided to refuse to turn, then spun 180 degrees on the spot. Fuck this RNG-ridden, badly tuned, buggy piece of shit fight, imma go to alysrazor.

/rant

But seriously though, we hit p2 about twice and died almost instantly.
Tebin

Postby Tebin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:59 pm

well...we went back, because i'm a glutton for punishment.

how tight is his turning circle? it seems if we miss a volcano, it's often a wipe since by the time he's finished a lap of the room we're up to 11 stacks from that one alone.
Tebin

Postby Juugimus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:56 am

Are you hitting inactive volcanoes? We were doing this and it made the fight seem impossible.

Every time he stomps on an inactive volcano, he gains a stack of molten armor http://www.wowhead.com/spell=98255.

We were just having him make laps around the room and realized we were stacking this buff too high. We switched to directing him to active volcanoes and missing inactive ones and have had no problems with him since.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby Tebin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Yeah they are steering him just to the actives, although I think an inactive may be collateral damage sometimes, but we end up with the following issues:

i) sometimes he'll just activate one on the other side of the circle
ii) sometimes they miss a volcano, leading to a huge debuff stack accumulation, leading to a wipe.

It just feels like the times we do get him to transition are 80% luck based. Altogether we've wasted about 3 whole nights on him. As comparison, we spent about two hours on alysrazor and, although we've not killed her, feel we've gotten the fight down and just need to execute it correctly. I don't think our group is crap, and I can really hear the frustration in their voices when we wipe. It doesn't even feel like we're screwing anything up in particular. At least when you know what's going wrong ("adds up too long", "not enough stacking for that debuff", etc) you can plan and work at and fix it, but here it just feels like we're absolutely at the mercy of RNG.

Are there any good videos up on youtube of 10m kills?

Our composition/roles are currently
1 tank
3 healers
6 dps

2 dps (Enh shaman and hunter) on rhyolith full time
an extra dps (ele shaman or hunter usually) will be called to help turn on sharp corners, otherwise on adds

remaining 3 (4) dps on adds full time

By the time we remove all his stacks he's usually on about 50%. Is that about right, or should we be aiming to take off more? I was thinking that maybe DPS should be hitting him between add waves to try to take off more health, but i don't want to screw with the (already quite tricky) steering.
Tebin

Postby Juugimus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:38 pm

50% when armor drops is fine. I would work on turning him, maybe even put more dps on turning. Once you get to where you can put him where you want him, you can control the fight.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:25 am

Does anyone know how you get him to cast the buff Turning Flame? I saw it very sporadically in our logs, but supposedly that is what helps him turn quickly. I just have no idea how to get him to cast it consistently.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby agetro » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 am

Does anyone know what causes that Volcano Eruption spell to go off, or how to avoid damage from it? That thing seems to be wiping my group on every attempt. Longest we lasted was just a little over 2 minutes before AoE damage was way too high.
agetro

Postby Arianne » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 am

High eruption stacks means that you're not directing him into active volcanos fast enough. You can't avoid the damage. It's part of the encounter to make sure you're doing the steering right.

Turning Flame should always be happening except when he's stomping (which is why he doesn't turn and the meter doesn't move when he stomps).

You should have at least 3 DPS on the legs AFAIK. One on each leg and one to control the turning. You want the two that are on each leg to be as evenly matched as possible and then the turner to be one of your higher DPS.
Arianne

Postby agetro » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:55 am

Oh ok, our problem was we had 2 on one leg, and the 3rd was assisting in case we needed a hard turn. So constant DPS on both legs makes him move faster?
agetro

Postby Arianne » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:01 am

The turning seems to be a differential between what you have on the two different legs. So if you have 0 on one leg it seems to act sorta funny. If you have one on each leg then he tends towards going straight, so your person who is steering has a better baseline to turn off of.
Arianne

Postby Tebin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:03 pm

I hate to constantly be whoring on this thread, but could someone who's done this recently post a raidlog, maybe with classes/spec/roles? We tried something a little unconventional tonight, we used two tanks. One holds the big add, the other (feral druid) picked up little adds, or would cat dps the legs. Idea being since the big add stacks a debuff making him take more damage, he can be off-tanked until he's got a few of those stacks, then burnt down. Dunno if it'd work out for everyone (we're experimenting really), but it sorta worked.

I think we're sort of aware that we seem to be taking too long to get him to transition, so i'd be interested in compositions/roles/damage that other guilds have found successful. We only just scratched heroic of last tier, so we're not great as far as outgearing/DPS goes.
Tebin

Postby Epimer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:01 pm

We did our progression kill with two tanks, and our subsequent kills have been with one tank. The two tanking method was overkill, but marginally easier to heal at the cost of an obviously slightly lengthened fight.

With two tanks, the composition was Blood DK, Protection Paladin, Holy Paladin, Disc Priest, Holy Priest, Balance Druid, Shadow Priest, Assassination Rogue, Enhancement Shaman, Frost DK.

With one tank, it was Protection Paladin, Holy Paladin, Holy Paladin, Holy Priest, Arcane Mage, Balance Druid, Unholy DK, Frost DK, Enhancement Shaman, Arms Warrior.

I wouldn't read anything into the differences in raid composition there, it was just who we had signed up for those given nights.
Epimer

Postby Jeremoot » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:57 pm

After the hot fixes to him we had some trouble, until we decided to change our Bloodlust placement. Prior to the patch we were waiting until phase 2 to use it, now we use it after the third spark and when we have our eruption stacks off. Bloodlust, all DPS switch to Rhyolith and we push him into phase.

Back to easy mode again.
Jeremoot

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)