[10] Alysrazor

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Alysrazor

Postby fafhrd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:26 am

Went at this tonight as boss #4. Took a while to realize we couldn't guarantee interrupts for all casts of Fieroblast, and ended up splitting into 2 groups and getting most of the interrupts. Fairly often we could kill them before they decided to cast a 3nd fiero anyway, so 1.5 interrupters was often fine anyway.

Started out with an arcane mage doing the flying thing solo, but switched to a warlock to make better use of the haste. Seemed to be working out ok.

Our problems came down to:

- killing the Voracious Hatchlings before the tornadoes in P2 starts. Even with the tanks each doing ~95kdps, we'd often have one add low, and the other at something like 40%. We did have people helping out on them when no Initiates were up to be interrupted/killed, so it feels like we're missing something important about killing them on time.

- figuring out what pushes the boss into P2. Is it just time based? Is it health based? If we could just delay till the adds are dead things would be much more stable (we think)

With a hatchling or two up during the tornadoes, we never really made it through the tornadoes in P2. Personally I just inevitably died after ~4 dodges when it seemed impossible to get out of the way anymore, not sure if that was me being bad, or something that would just be healed through if everyone were alive and not dealing with hatchlings.

Overall, difficulty seems a fair bit harder than Shannox/Beth'tilac/LordR - we managed to 2 shot the first two with no ptr experience, and LordR took about 5 before we figured out the dps needed to turn him properly. Alys though, something seems missing and we're not sure what.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Re: [10] Alysrazor

Postby Shathus » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:46 am

Phase 1 lasts 3 minutes was my understanding
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 am

Here's a question about tank DPS and my general looking over.

How hard do things hit for that aren't the boss? Could the tanks switch to more hit/expertise to up their damage since the boss tanking phase is all about using your cooldowns to cover your tanking period it might be viable?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby fafhrd » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 am

Yay, fixed our Hatching DPS issues very simply, instead of having our initiate teams responsible for adds across the length of the room for some reason, we had them do the ones across the breadth, which means WAAAAY less time running around, and much more time to DPS hatchlings between initiates. Hunter and warlock interrupting one side, mage and DK interrupting other. 51 successful interrupts over the kill, 4 uninterrupted casts of Fieroblast.

Just that change made p1 very easy, and we then just wiped to people dying in P2 to tornadoes for a while before killing.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby pfunkmort » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:07 pm

as a side note - if you're having trouble with dps, a fire mage running up top with the 100% crit and insta pyros does a ton of damage - then coming down...they can theoretically pop like 5-6 insta pyros on the downed alysrazor which TRIPLE dips with the 50% damage increasing modifier - so you get 50% increase on your pyro, which then gets 50% extra on your ignite proc from it, which then gets 50% increase from your combustion (the haste gives like 100 ticks)...some fire mage had the two channeling adds in with alysrazor in a down phase and did 21.5 million in like 10 seconds with one combustion/impact proc between her and the adds. It's massive damage.
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Is it fairly easy to two heal this? I just read that on someone else's post.

So if you two healed it could 2 dps go up and be getting rings? I don't know I feel like 2 healers might make it rough. I may try that though if we're having problems on it today.

Just needed to know if both dps that went up could get rings, because I'd have mage spec fire just to help on adds.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Yelena » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:50 pm

We used two healers on our kill, Restoration Shaman and Holy Paladin. It's very doable with only two heals; so long as interrupts are handled properly, people don't stand in brush fires, and people don't fail at "Al'akir Turbo Mode."

The DPS playing Starfox will need to stick together, since the rings only last a few seconds. We ended up only sending a single DPS up on the kill largely due to raid comp issues that night. Either way it wasn't a problem with only two heals and one Starfox.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby pdrayton » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:23 pm

2 healing is definitely possible. We used a disc priest & a holy paladin for healing, sent 2 flyers up and spread the remaining 4 DPS into two groups (2 each side of the path Alys flys over), prioritizing Initiates>Hatchlings. After 1st burn phase she was at 34%, then we had the 2 flyers come down after the 3rd initiate wave spawned to ensure we had the 2nd set of hatchlings dead going into tornado phase, and we killed her before she started Ignite again.

The two big decisions for us were:
- 2-healing it so we could spare 2 flyers
- Bringing flyers down early to clean up hatchlings
pdrayton

Postby Forgrim » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:58 am

One thing we found out that helped us avoid a wipe (which I honestly thought it was at the time) was when she came down for her 3rd ignite phase, and emoted, "Alysrazor could not ignite!". And stayed on the ground the entire time. We had a couple deaths but survived this aoe phase to bring her down. I have no idea if she goes back if we take longer, but I found it a 'thank you' for being able to survive for that long.
Forgrim

Postby frontallobe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:19 am

We decided to 2 heal the fight. If the interrupts are made and the DPS avoid the spinning mini magmaws the only damage is to tanks.

We were having an issue getting the two hatchlings down by the tornado phase. The single biggest boost to DPS and to get the hatchlings down on time? ... Had the tanks reforge hit + expertise + food hit + expertise elixers = pwn hatchlings.

Hope this helps others. (Still haven't killed her but at least we are consistently getting to P2 and now it's a matter of rinse repeat)
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Forgrim » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:15 am

Also, as a tank, I used a strength flask. +300 strength and our +1000% to damage = awesome. My greatest hit was a 750k shield slam crit.
Forgrim

Postby frontallobe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:55 am

Just read this over at the tankspot forums and going to try asking feral kitty to pitch in a little by applying between initiates.

I'm a warrior tank, so maybe I'm a little OP here, but I run just over 2% hit and 7 expertise while the DK runs 22 expertise and 8% hit in our group. One thing I noticed that might be signficant is I have Sunder (through Devastate). I think this, more than anything, is the biggest difference - I was pushing over 100k while he was hitting 80k. If you have an Imp Fairy Fire avaialble, it would be well spent on the DK hatchling.
frontallobe

Postby Epimer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:05 am

It should be taken as given that in any fight where you're required to meet strict DPS requirements on individual adds that you should be going out of your way to have Sunders (or equivalent) and CoE (or equivalent) on those adds.
Epimer

Postby frontallobe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Changed 26 expertise, hit capped, str flask, glyphed for focus shield, shield slam - added 378 rep str cloak and lic to slay - rest tank gear - went from 95k dps to 135k dps - now I have about 10s before she lands and my add is dead. 12/12 reg team.

If people are having trouble dying to tornados we found the fatboss strat to be best in helping people l2 dodge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS2v0b_JlpQ

Just looked at our kill. At the highest point in the fight I was doing 195k dps and sustained over 100k for the encounter.
Last edited by frontallobe on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
frontallobe

Postby maurok » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:28 am

frontallobe wrote:Changed 26 expertise, hit capped(...)

the hatchlings are level 87, so with 24 expertise you would be hard capped for them already :)
and I guess you'd only need 6% hit as well (or 7?)
maurok

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)