Shannox 25

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Shannox 25

Postby Spadz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:10 am

We also used the "make the dog run until stacks drop" strat. It worked fantastically in 25's with two tanks an 7 healers. Just make sure everyone is aware of the frost traps, as they *do* LOS healers and dps, and have a solid cooldown rotation available. We ran it with DPS'ing rageface down, splitting dps with ranged on rage and melee split between boss and limbrip, down to 10-11%, and then Shannox down to 35, at which point we dropped limb and popped lust once shan was positioned. Make sure to keep healers updated during both times when the dogs are about to drop. That way they know when to drop big heals/cd on the Shannox tank. Also, I saved GoTAK for the beginning of both the first frenzy, and P2 after the second dog died to smooth out the damage input to allow the healers time to adjust to the higher incoming damage on me. I was not using 4pc T11, and I don't think it's necessary, but it could be helpful during the transition into P2 especially.

Depending on how high your raids DPS is you could have a third tank available to pick up threat during P2 if your MT on Shan drops, however with a strong heal team and proper use of cooldowns this should not be necessary.
Spadz

Postby Spadz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:25 am

Ezelyn wrote:Hi, some of my teammates had some troubles with traps (very low graphic effects). Is there an add-on announcing when he sends a trap on you ?

The addon GTFO does notify you by way of a buzzer when a trap is under your feet. It's relatively lightweight and handy on many encounters, especially H-Mal.
Spadz

Postby mclem » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:24 am

We've been noticing some weird threat issues. Our DK tank seemed to have unexpected survival problems on Shannox, so would occasionally surprise us by getting flattened. When battle ressing him, he'd sometimes have full threat back straight away, but sometimes be (as expected) starting from zero. Has anyone witnessed this? I'm wondering if there's a mechanic to maintain threat through death to allow for tanks dying.
mclem

Postby Chanserv » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:56 am

I personally HATE using the traps, if you can get lucky and they are there... go for it. but when ever I tried to search for one, he would have the can't be trapped buff, or stacks wouldn't drop because I couldn't get far enough away...

this is how I ended up doing it and it was working well. the MT never has to move and OT does all the work. Sorry for the lack of editing but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njyCQG7SvCk
Chanserv

Postby djlar » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:22 am

My fellow rogue went sub for a bit, he disabled some traps, at a loss of some DPS, we tried the burn Rageface strat and deal with Riplimb later, almost made it to 10%..
djlar

Postby Claydon » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:37 am

mclem wrote:We've been noticing some weird threat issues. Our DK tank seemed to have unexpected survival problems on Shannox, so would occasionally surprise us by getting flattened. When battle ressing him, he'd sometimes have full threat back straight away, but sometimes be (as expected) starting from zero. Has anyone witnessed this? I'm wondering if there's a mechanic to maintain threat through death to allow for tanks dying.

Yeh we had this a few times. get ressed with no threat or get ressed above of the offtank!
Claydon

Postby Juugimus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:02 am

lakhesis wrote:
Juugimus wrote:Be careful when kiting the boss around, he gets a Separation Anxiety buff that increases his damage by 100% if he gets too far away from either of the dogs. I learned this the hard way.

What is the range before that kicks in?

I'm reading people talking about tanking 'em 60 yards apart, but exactly how much extra room to run do you have if (i.e.) you're the Riplimb tank and you've still got 5s of bleed left as he's running back to you?

I'm not sure of the range, I wasn't trying to tank him absurdly far apart. but it was probably around 40-50 yards, he threw the spear and I started pulling the boss further away, go too far away and went splat.

Here's a link to the spell on Wowhead.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=99835

Apparently, it buffs the dogs too.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:34 am

we actually ran 10m, but: we found that if Riplimb runs over the torch? trap, that it helps him 'see' the freeze traps and he can avoid them. But the dps specifically mentioned that if Riplimb happened to pass over one of the traps he would become 'aware' of the frost traps (sort of like a hunter flare effect) and then not get frozen.

We also found that our rogue COULD disarm the traps, we had him disarm some of them at a slight loss to dps. But until you get the boss to 30% and phase, a slight loss in dps is probably worth the added control over the add.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Chicken » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:47 am

Yeah, if one of the dogs trips a trap, it gains a buff making it immune to traps for the next 25 seconds. In the case of the freezing traps the immunity timer doesn't start until after the dog is free again.
Chicken

Postby exiledknight » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Seperation Anxiety is about 80 yards. Here is a video with me at times pushing the limit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyky59Ght4o We killed him in front of the entrace to Beth'tilac
exiledknight

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:02 pm

It should not be necessary to push the range limit if you run as far as possible towards the boss just after the spear lands. If you're having to run far away regularly it probably means that the mobs are starting out too close to each other. Nobody but the tank should have to move out of the spear's fire AoE (and even then you ideally get out before it starts).
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby exiledknight » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:55 pm

PsiVen wrote:It should not be necessary to push the range limit if you run as far as possible towards the boss just after the spear lands. If you're having to run far away regularly it probably means that the mobs are starting out too close to each other. Nobody but the tank should have to move out of the spear's fire AoE (and even then you ideally get out before it starts).

Once or twice on our kill he threw the spear what seemed to be 10-15 yards short of the dog closer to him where I needed to run further back, in addition our ranged was neglecting slows a lot as well.
exiledknight

Postby mclem » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:41 am

Two quick questions:

First, Shannox having the spear is what causes him to apply the DoT to his tank (and, in phase 2, do that local AoE). What happens if you kill Riplimb before he actually brings the spear back?

Second, our DK tank on Shannox is having serious survival issues; everyone's finding him much harder to keep up than us shield tanks. The simple solution is to move him to Riplimb - I don't believe he attacks as hard - but I'm curious if there might be something he's fundamentally doing wrong that causes him to get flattened, or if it's just that the cleave + another attack in quick succession don't give him long enough to heal himself?
mclem

Postby Darielle » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:11 am

First, Shannox having the spear is what causes him to apply the DoT to his tank (and, in phase 2, do that local AoE). What happens if you kill Riplimb before he actually brings the spear back?

Shannox just Deathgrips his Spear back to him basically.

Is your DK having issues before or after Shannox starts getting Frenzy stacks?
Darielle

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:15 pm

Is he eating inferno traps? They increase damage taken by 40%, IIRC. The cleave will hit for 170k.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)