Remove Advertisements

[25] Sinestra

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Sinestra

Postby Kihra » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Well, we started punching through to P3, but then Sinestra bugged out on us, and the flame wall at the entrance to her chamber wouldn't go down. Frustrating thing to have happen to a three-night guild, since our time is so precious. Hopefully a soft reset fixes it. :)
Kihra

Postby inthedrops » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Kihra wrote:Well, we started punching through to P3, but then Sinestra bugged out on us, and the flame wall at the entrance to her chamber wouldn't go down. Frustrating thing to have happen to a three-night guild, since our time is so precious. Hopefully a soft reset fixes it. :)

We had that happen once. A mage managed to somehow blink through it and reset the fight. I don't know what he did though. I just remember him being all proud of himself :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Yes, you can blink through the barrier to reset the fight, thus resetting the barrier.
A soft reset would also work, it would however take like 30min, so id suggest getting a mage, since it will be a tad bit faster.
Treck

Postby Kihra » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Treck wrote:Yes, you can blink through the barrier to reset the fight, thus resetting the barrier.
A soft reset would also work, it would however take like 30min, so id suggest getting a mage, since it will be a tad bit faster.

Hmm... our mages couldn't blink through it, so maybe that's no longer possible.
Kihra

Postby inthedrops » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Kihra wrote:
Treck wrote:Yes, you can blink through the barrier to reset the fight, thus resetting the barrier.

Hmm... our mages couldn't blink through it, so maybe that's no longer possible.

I think it's not as easy as just "blinking" and you're done with it. I know ours tried for a while until he did it. Hence being all excited about himself :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Good lord. Finally killed this thing tonight. It wasn't my best performance but I must say paladin tanks are really strong here. I tank Whelps in P1. Spitecallers in P2. In P3 I tank the first 4 sets of Whelps which are DPS'd two at a time (bubble off stacks in between). Once the second set dies I taunt off the other tank who offtanks Whelps for the rest of the fight.

It was very unfortunate as we were getting pretty good at phase 3 and then sure enough, Wrack lands on me (with 60+ stacks) and has to be dispelled immediately. Then BAM right back on me. Seconds later the entire raid is overwhelmed with Wrack.

It took a bit of good luck to not get a crappy Wrack in that last phase.

As far as orbs and cutters go, that is the biggest problem. Some people just can't seem to get it into their head that just because YOU are far enough from an orb to not get hit by the pulses doesn't mean you're standing in a good spot if you end up targeted. People really need to assume that every orb is going to target them and move somewhere smart. Unfortunately some people can't seem to break bad habits formed by years of "just get out of fire quickly".

Anyway, 9 days of attempts so I think I have learned a lot to share :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:27 am

inthedrops wrote:It was very unfortunate as we were getting pretty good at phase 3 and then sure enough, Wrack lands on me (with 60+ stacks) and has to be dispelled immediately. Then BAM right back on me. Seconds later the entire raid is overwhelmed with Wrack.

Yeah, Wrack on the tank is so annoying. We actually killed whelps 5 at a time and only killed 3 sets, and then I bubbled and off tanked the rest. This strat worked really well for us, and we killed her tonight (yay for squeaking in right before 4.1).

Next week we don't have to worry about Wrack any longer, which makes me happy. :)
Kihra

Postby Kihra » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:14 am

It looks like you don't get extra add spawns since 4.1. We were consistently getting only one drake and two spitecallers.
Kihra

Postby Arianne » Wed May 11, 2011 10:34 pm

What do you do if you don't have 2 rogues for Unleashed Essence? Everything else seems to have too long of a CD or too long of a cast time (hibernate)?

Do you do tank swaps in phase 3 between whelps and boss?
Arianne

Postby Brutalus » Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 am

Arianne wrote:What do you do if you don't have 2 rogues for Unleashed Essence? Everything else seems to have too long of a CD or too long of a cast time (hibernate)?

Do you do tank swaps in phase 3 between whelps and boss?

We had one of our healers log his rogue alt for Sinestra progress, but I've seen guilds with 1 rogue using their rogue and hunter to interrupt (with scattering shot).

I just tank whelps for all of phase 3 and bubble my stacks when it's ready again (from phase 1), but there's plenty of guilds who swap tanks, usually after 10 or 15 whelps are dead to avoid constantly swapping and getting confused between whose adds are whose.
Brutalus

Postby inthedrops » Thu May 12, 2011 8:49 am

Arianne wrote:Do you do tank swaps in phase 3 between whelps and boss?

We had an initiate tank during our progression so I did most of the hard work (if you want to call it that). In P3, I grab the first two sets of whelps spawns and then drag them out to be killed (at which point they respawn and we kill them again). Shortly after they die completely, I bubble off my stacks and grab the next two sets of whelp spawns and do the same thing. Except this time I can't bubble off the debuff, so I do a tank swap with the Sinestra tank, where he off tanks all future whelp spawns until the boss dies.

I don't use my bubble in P1 because I'm worried about it being available in P3. I haven't really looked at the timing but I think it's close. BTW, I do the same thing in P1 (two whelp spawns, and I drag them back to the spitecaller/shield area to be killed before the spitecallers spawn).
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Thu May 12, 2011 9:45 am

In P3, we kill the whelps 5 at a time, since our raid is heavy on DoT classes (locks, shadow priests, etc.). It works very well and I don't take much damage at all. We kill three groups of 5 this way, and then when the fourth group spawns I just offtank until the end of the fight. I don't bubble until the fifth group is coming out and getting picked up. By tanking them five at a time, the stacks build slowly, and I'm taking way less damage than if I were to tank 10 (it's quite literally 3x the damage on the tank to do 10 vs. 5 because of how much higher the spit stacks get). It also allows you to avoid having to swap tanks at all.

There are many approaches to handling whelps, so you'll have to just find what works best for your particular tanking and raid composition. There are two strats that are more popular than the others though:

(1) 10+10 is the most common approach, especially for guilds with no paladin tank. You typically have to tank swap with this strat.
(2) 5+5+5 (the approach I mentioned above) is also common for paladin tanks. You can either soften with AOE and kill one at a time or just use a multi-dot strat and kill them again when they get up. Either approach works.

There are plenty of other options though. I found one log that did 5+10, another log that did 10+5, and even one that did just did 10 and then offtanked (impressive!).
Kihra

Postby Meloree » Thu May 12, 2011 10:03 am

Kihra wrote:There are plenty of other options though. I found one log that did 5+10, another log that did 10+5, and even one that did just did 10 and then offtanked (impressive!).

We just do 10 + offtank. Our Druid grabs the first 10, then I grab the rest. I save bubble for this part of P3. When I get to 50 stacks or so, I do trinket, then DP, then bubble... and I've never actually had to live long enough to go through the rest of the cooldown rotation I planned out. Our RDPS is pretty high, it's the ability to move out with orbs that seems to be hard for us.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Newsom » Thu May 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Any tips for picking up the whelps?

I'm picking up two sets of whelps in phase 1, then the following first four sets in phase 3 (bubbling off the stacks between) and I just have enormous threat issues every single whelp spawn. There always seem to be orbs coming out as they spawn so I can't really run into the middle to melee them or drop consecration, and my taunts or Avenger's Shields are not enough to bring them to me in time for me to actually hit them before they run back to the healers.

I don't dare to use threat gear as they still hit really hard (and I still have to tank Sinestra in p3) and our other (Warrior) off tank doesn't seem to have any problems picking them up when he has been on whelp duty. What am I doing wrong? :(
Newsom NewsSpoonFrangoNewsy
Newsom

Postby PsiVen » Thu May 19, 2011 6:37 pm

orbs coming out as they spawn so I can't really run into the middle to melee them or drop consecration

This is a poor assumption. Get in there and grab them, you'll be safe as long as you pay attention to where the orbs are.

I don't know if this varies, but at least with our positioning in 10-man, the first 3 whelps tend to come in a second apart, and then a few seconds later the last 2 show up in a pair together. They are invariably on healers, so I drop a consecrate when they start landing, HotR/HW when all 3 are in range, and righteous defense + AS the pair that come in last.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)