[25H] Halfus

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25H] Halfus wtf

Postby Fenris » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:00 am

Really need osme help

We had a lot of attendance problem in the last month and so we fell behind badly...Yestereday finally we managed to put togheter a raid and try it...And hit a brick wall on the enrage timer

We tried
-4 tanks and 8 healers
-storm,nether,time freed at the pull
-freeing the whelps after the first drake was dead ,both killing and ignoring them

Best try was at 18% http://worldoflogs.com/reports/3kd1pybs ... amageDone/

Main problem is we'll hardly have 8 healers again in the close future,so i need to find a way to do it with 7...AND do the drakes faster...
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby inthedrops » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:10 am

Fenris wrote:Really need osme help

We had a lot of attendance problem in the last month and so we fell behind badly...Yestereday finally we managed to put togheter a raid and try it...And hit a brick wall on the enrage timer

We tried
-4 tanks and 8 healers
-storm,nether,time freed at the pull
-freeing the whelps after the first drake was dead ,both killing and ignoring them

Best try was at 18% http://worldoflogs.com/reports/3kd1pybs ... amageDone/

Main problem is we'll hardly have 8 healers again in the close future,so i need to find a way to do it with 7...AND do the drakes faster...

Your problem is very simple. Tell people to kill the drakes and not Halfus until the necessary drakes are dead. I looked at your combat log and zoomed in to only the Heroism time frame done shortly after the pull:

Nanoshooter: Only DPS'd Halfus.
Gorthan: Not focusing down Storm, way too much Halfus DPS.
Ariel: Might be spending a little too much time on Halfus. I'm not sure.
Apocalisses: Possibly triple dotting across storm, time, and halfus.

I'm assuming Ghostsaber is your primary interupt, in which case he has to stay on Halfus.

Here are your top Storm Rider Damage Done (which appears to be the one you kill first):

Radamanthis 1383077
Tepysthar 1102449
Zelphyr 1074961
Exaryel 1031824
Cessator 895148
Tae 746651
Esmeralda 711107
Rooglich 663004
Apocalisses 653083
Ariel 628210
Fenriswolf 469998
Gorthan 185830

The DPS has to understand that the sooner the drakes die, the sooner Halfus takes more damage, and ultimately the sooner he will die. When people don't focus down drakes, it extends the fight, and you wipe to healer attrition or enrage.

FOCUS THE DRAKES!
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:32 am

Warlock notes for the above since that's the class I'm most familiar with these days:

- For Destruction Warlocks: Bane of Havoc on Halfus sounds very attractive, but keeping it on each of the drakes in the order you kill them is better overall for Raid DPS. So if your kill order for the big drakes is Storm Rider > Time Warden > Nether Scion, your Warlocks should be using it on the Time Warden first, then the Nether Scion once the Storm Rider dies, and only to Halfus once the Time Warden dies. Extra DPS time on Halfus is more valuable for the raid's DPS overall, even if it's a personal DPS loss. At the very least it also makes more sense to have one of the Drakes as the initial BoH target: Halfus doesn't gain any extra damage taken until after a drake dies, so before that point BoH is as potent on a drake as it is on Halfus.
- For Affliction Warlocks: Soul Swap is great on this fight, make sure you have it glyphed. Optimal usage is simply using your regular rotation on your primary target, and soul swapping DoTs over to the second target as soon as UA falls off on that one; make sure you're using Bane of Agony on these two, with your tertiary target being your Bane of Doom target. Also with 4.1 the Felhunter is now the best Affliction Warlock pet, not the Succubus.
- For your Warlocks in general: Make sure you have a good DoT timer. You want to keep Corruption and Immolate (And Bane of Agony when Affliction) up on as many of the drakes at once as possible; that will result in the first drake dying slightly slower, but the drakes overall will be dying quicker. Even keeping DoTs up on two drakes at once is a good increase in your damage dealt. As with Bane of Havoc Halfus himself is a lower priority target for this: I personally don't bother keeping up DoTs on him until there's only a single drake left alive.
Last edited by Chicken on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken

Postby exiledknight » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:34 am

Fireball barrage is the reason you seem to need 8 healers, people are just simply standing in it and not caring
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3kd1 ... 903&e=7280

Looks like you have some dps tunneling Halfus(1 shaman should be able to solo interrupt him)
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3kd1 ... &target=77
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3kd1 ... &target=81
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/3kd1 ... &target=75

I am at work so I don't have time to really dig through the logs but here are a few questions
When are you lusting? Unless your healers cant keep up and they need lust you should be doing it following the first roar, this will maximize its usage with the increased dmg taken and getting full use for 30 seconds.
How are you handling furious roar interrupts?
How are you handling Furious Roar CDs?

A few things off the top of my head
Have your hunter release the whelps when the first drake is at 20%, then Multishot MD to that tank, allow your melee to cleave down the 2nd drake and multi dotters to dot it all up, this will greatly increase your overall rdps which is actually important on your first few kills here.

You also have some extremely low dps, everyone should really be well above 30k if your attempts were getting him down to 17%, and your dot classes should be topping the meters, spriests, locks, boomkins, fire mages should all be dotting all the drakes and Halfus on the pull and refreshing them as needed. Spriests should be using MS targetting a tank once the whelps are up, mana permitting.
exiledknight

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:05 am

A very BAD issue arrising from too much upfront Halfus damage is that you will reach 50% on Halfus with too many drakes still up, causing massive healer issues during furious roars.

Its imperative that you focus down the drakes prior to hitting 50%. Remember, they changed the encounter in patch 4.0.6 so that the extra damage to Halfus buff only applies on drake DEATH. However, they upped this buff from 50% to 100%. So, if you FOCUS the drakes down, then you will be doing 500%-600% dmg on Halfus, which shuold be plenty time enough to kill him in even 1 minute.

Discipline means ignoring Halfus until drakes are all down. Your shammy by himself should not be able to push him to 50% before the drakes are down, if he is, then he can back off or use a focus macro to interupt while he helps on the drakes.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Fenris » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:37 am

So,4 tanks 7 healers should work i guess....
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby exiledknight » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:01 am

We did it with 3 tank and 6 healers before due to a weird attendence week, and one of those tanks was in mostly 346 gear, back in jan when we were first working on it, 4 tanks and 7 healers is how we went.
exiledknight

Postby Fenris » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:24 am

exiledknight wrote:When are you lusting? Unless your healers cant keep up and they need lust you should be doing it following the first roar, this will maximize its usage with the increased dmg taken and getting full use for 30 seconds.
How are you handling furious roar interrupts?
How are you handling Furious Roar CDs?

-Actually we were lusting at the start to burn the first dragon down...Was likely one of the first thing i wanted to try and move to the sub-50% zone
-Paladins bubbling/mages blinking
-Healers are handling them on their own,so i'm not sure what they are rotating and when,i'll try to make some order in that to

P.s:our high proto-behemot damage might come from the fact that we dont free the whelps until the second dragon is down
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby exiledknight » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Mouse over the proto dmg and you will see the fireball barrage dmg, I cant recall the expression off the top of my head and tried a few different ones.
With lust, use it immediatly after the first furious roar, this got us our very first kill and we haven't bothered to change it since, just make sure the tanks are popping cds off the pull.
Roar cds- You should use DG for the first, have the disc priests set up a rotation for the rest where they bubble the melee, paladins should have a radiance rotation as that ticks through(shamans healing rain may as well, not sure)also a big help is that people understand they can move inbetween the ticks of roar and be able to dodge the barrage.
HoP also works to nullify the roar, so if you are losing people to them, set up a rotation for your strongest group healers, or even druids who can pop tranq.
exiledknight

Postby Arianne » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:58 pm

There are two different kinds of protodrake damage
1) breaths that hit the entire raid for some amount of damage
2) fireballs that make a red pulsing circle on the ground

You can't avoid 1, but you can avoid 2. You can AM 1.
Arianne

Postby Sharkattack056 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:24 am

My guild's Halfus kills are actually quite easy. Here's how we do it:

We used 3 tanks (DK, Pally, and Warrior). The DK tanked Halfus only, the pally tanked the Storm Rider, and the Warrior tanked the Nether Scion and the Time Warden. Upon pull, we had a hunter release the Nether Scion and MD to the warrior, while the pally and warrior release their drakes. We would burn down the Time Warden first, and right before the Time Warden dies, the Warrior releases the whelps. The DK taunts the Storm Rider at 6-7 stacks and the Pally taunts Halfus. This tank switch keeps happening every time the tank who is on the Storm Rider has their stacks cleared. Our Drake Kill order is as followed:

1. Time Warden
2. Storm Rider
3 Nether Scion
4 Whelps die from random AoE

The Slate Dragon is never released. The hardest part is the early parts of the fight, before drakes start to go down. Cooldowns should be used when needed, and once the Storm Rider is down, the fight gets really easy. After all drakes down, it's practically GG.

If your tanks have survival issues, you can always have a 4th tank on the Nether Scion, but we didn't need it.
Sharkattack056

Re: [25H] Halfus

Postby Fenris » Mon May 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Well well...

We actually went and killed Chimareon HM first...Then tonight after 2 hours of wipe on normal Neffy(we have been oneshotting him for a while...So it looked like an awfull night) we went back to him,with my hopes kind of low...

Ended with us killing him on the second try :lol: thanks for the tips ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby exiledknight » Tue May 17, 2011 6:38 am

Congrats on the kill
exiledknight

Postby Sidieon » Fri May 20, 2011 8:32 pm

I was wondering if I could get confirmation of what abilities gain damage from being bounced of halfus. Our guild kills the time / storm drake ASAP with single target DPS, with the nether drake being off tanked. Once the time drake is dead, and storm is well on the way the whelps get released. We currently have affliction locks and priests spreading their AOE off halfus - i.e. Seed of Corruption and Mind Sear, to finish off the storm drake, and kill the nether along with the whelps.

I just wanted to confirm that the detonated seed of corruption gains the damage bonus, along with mind sear.

What other abilities would be useful?

I have omitted cleaves as we still want the second and third drake down ASAP, and well before halfus hits 50%.

We also don't release the slate drake? Should be release it after the storm is down to be AOEd with the whelps / nether
Sidieon

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)