[10] Heroic Magmaw

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Heroic Magmaw

Postby Daenerys » Wed May 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Arianne wrote:You just kite more and more of them as the fight goes on unless they die from attrition (or other DPS with DoTs that like to boost DPS by killing them). AFAIK having one of the mages be fire and using flamestrike/living bomb to pick them up will work.

Thank you. I ended up shifting everyone to have our DK go frost. Frost is just too op for kiting and holding hate while doing so easily.. After a couple of tries he was a total pro at it and can kill all the adds off during the head phase when no extras are spawning. I don't envy ten man groups that lack a Death Knight though.
Daenerys

Postby Rhiannon » Wed May 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Boomkin does the job fine, I've used a boomkin for that job with two different raid groups and they both picked it up within a few tries. I believe hunter works fine as well.
Rhiannon

Postby Belloc » Thu May 05, 2011 8:39 am

Rhiannon wrote:Boomkin does the job fine, I've used a boomkin for that job with two different raid groups and they both picked it up within a few tries. I believe hunter works fine as well.

I second this. We used a boomkin/fire mage combo and the adds were well under control. An extra DPS (demo lock, perhaps? :D) just makes the adds melt. It's not a dps loss, either, because you're still going to be stopping DPS on the boss to wait for a transition.
Belloc

Postby maurok » Wed May 25, 2011 9:34 am

Belloc wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:Boomkin does the job fine, I've used a boomkin for that job with two different raid groups and they both picked it up within a few tries. I believe hunter works fine as well.

I second this. We used a boomkin/fire mage combo and the adds were well under control. An extra DPS (demo lock, perhaps? :D) just makes the adds melt. It's not a dps loss, either, because you're still going to be stopping DPS on the boss to wait for a transition.

I third it :P

we haven't killed that yet, but mainly for other random reasons, our moonkin is doing a fine job...
We don't have a DK on the core, and our hunter is a girl and she's on those days of the month and refused to kite, so I found this video for him and he's doing great job with that.
The hunter always MD/Multishot him new adds just in case and puts trap, and our affli lock uses soulburn with seed to put corruption on all adds every 45s or so...
maurok

Postby Epimer » Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 am

Another thumbs up for using a Moonkin to handle the worm adds from me. Ours had no problem at all except for the times when she accidentally got herself stuck on various bits of scenery :roll:

It's particularly useful for us since she's our raid leader and hence guaranteed to be there in every raid. We don't have any Frost DKs or Mages, so it's nice to have a kiting assignment that's easily handled by a few other classes.
Epimer

Postby Tebin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:24 am

Regarding tanks, are you guys keeping the same tank on magmaw/the adds? We had been swapping tanks around, so whoever tanks magmaw doesn't have the 50% armour debuff, but I'm starting to think that's contraindicated by the potential for the adds to dish out a world of pain. I'd appreciate input.
Tebin

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:35 am

We keep the same tank on magmaw the entire fight.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Treck » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:30 am

I dont see the hard part about swapping tanks, its really a non issue.
That said, magmaw doesnt hit hard enough be "untankable" with the armor debuff.
Treck

Postby Nevarien » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:45 pm

We run our 10m with our hunter on adds, DK tank on Constructs and me on the boss. My cooldowns for Mangles go, first - GoAK, second - Bubble, third - GoAK if its up or BoP from our other pally. Saving 3 stacks of HP going into mangle for a nice heal is good too. The armor debuff is by no way untankable. I usually throw up DP and on use dodge during the inbetween mangles and priest to throw up Pain Sup if its needed, I do like to hover my finger over AD during the inbetween phase to, but only if its absolutely required.
Nevarien

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Tebin wrote:Regarding tanks, are you guys keeping the same tank on magmaw/the adds? We had been swapping tanks around, so whoever tanks magmaw doesn't have the 50% armour debuff, but I'm starting to think that's contraindicated by the potential for the adds to dish out a world of pain. I'd appreciate input.

The adds don't hit anywhere near as hard as the boss, unless you're trying to tank 4 at once or standing in fire.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Treck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:31 am

Nevarien wrote:We run our 10m with our hunter on adds, DK tank on Constructs and me on the boss. My cooldowns for Mangles go, first - GoAK, second - Bubble, third - GoAK if its up or BoP from our other pally. Saving 3 stacks of HP going into mangle for a nice heal is good too.

Using bubble on Mangle is just a bad idea, unless your own BoP is on CD and you dont have any other paladins.
BoP lasts for 10sec, bubble lasts for 8.
I rarely use CDs during mangle, you just shouldnt have to.
The damage you take during mangle is very predictable and slow, unlike when magmaw is hitting you (especially with the armod debuff)
And about the Holy power thingy, not sure how long mangle lasts, but im pretty sure you can get off 2 WoGs anyway, and build up HP during the mangle.
Treck

Postby Fetzie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:15 am

Nevarien wrote:We run our 10m with our hunter on adds, DK tank on Constructs and me on the boss. My cooldowns for Mangles go, first - GoAK, second - Bubble, third - GoAK if its up or BoP from our other pally. Saving 3 stacks of HP going into mangle for a nice heal is good too. The armor debuff is by no way untankable. I usually throw up DP and on use dodge during the inbetween mangles and priest to throw up Pain Sup if its needed, I do like to hover my finger over AD during the inbetween phase to, but only if its absolutely required.

I have put points into the reduced HoP cooldown in the retribution tree, what with my two HoPs, and our retri and holy paladin, I have an immunity for every mangle phase which leaves GoAK free for emergencies between the mangles. The only dangerous thing about mangle is the occasional melee swing that the boss shouldn't perform when picking you up, but sometimes does (60k tick + 90k (ish) swing can do a lot of damage).
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Nevarien » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Do you roll with the reduced hop all the time on just switch specs specifically for this fight
Nevarien

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Treck wrote:I rarely use CDs during mangle, you just shouldnt have to.
The damage you take during mangle is very predictable and slow, unlike when magmaw is hitting you (especially with the armod debuff)

During mangle is predictable and slow, yes... but the first hit of mangle is often right after a melee, and there's a high chance of gib there. That's why we always pop a CD right before the initial mangle lands.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Fetzie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:33 am

Nevarien wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Do you roll with the reduced hop all the time on just switch specs specifically for this fight

All the time, it has turned out useful on Halfus too - I can HoP the malevolent strikes off our warrior and have it ready for the second furious roar for our mage.

Fetzie

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)