Remove Advertisements

[10] Heroic Magmaw

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Heroic Magmaw

Postby timoseewho » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:35 pm

I forgot to ask, is the kiter also the only one DPS'ing the parasites? With other ranged helping out when they're done with the constructs AND assuming not being in the exposed phase? Thanks.
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 25-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:51 pm

I think that for the most part our DK kiter was the only one actively dpsing the maggots. I believe our hunter might have thrown out some entrapment specced frost traps and possibly spread some stings on them. I'll take a look at our logs but I would say the DK did 80-90% of the maggot damage.

Edit: Looking over our logs, our DK did 8.3 million to the parasites our hunter did 1.4 million and no one else did more than 100k. The DK did 83% of the total damage done to Parasites.

He also got about 1 million damage done to the exposed head. Not a lot and I can see some places for improvement. For example perhaps making sure ranged dps burn down maggots quickly before exposed head phase so the kiter can get more uptime on the head etc... hope this gives you a general idea though.
Gab

Postby timoseewho » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Exactly what I needed. I'm a hunter, and I plan on going survival to kite the adds (spec'ed specifically for kiting), and I love the idea of having other ranged to help me take out the parasites for good right before head exposure so I can have 100% uptime on the exposed head before I go back kiting again during the 'regular' phases. Thanks tons!
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 25-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Postby Belloc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:26 pm

timoseewho wrote:I forgot to ask, is the kiter also the only one DPS'ing the parasites? With other ranged helping out when they're done with the constructs AND assuming not being in the exposed phase? Thanks.

On our kill last night, we had the DK kiter, balance druid, and fire mage contributing significant DPS to the adds.
Belloc

Postby 99sitr » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:18 pm

This fight is 2 healable if your healers are decent. We decided to try a 2 heal strat this week for the kill whereas our last kill was a 3 heal. This allowed us to have alot more time on Magmaw throughout the encounter.

So for those of you wondering if it is possible on 10 heroic, it is, just took us a few attempts to dial in some minor problems.
99sitr

Postby Ezelyn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 am

99sitr wrote:This fight is 2 healable if your healers are decent. We decided to try a 2 heal strat this week for the kill whereas our last kill was a 3 heal. This allowed us to have alot more time on Magmaw throughout the encounter

What strategy do you use in a 2 healers way ?
We tried last night this HM and it was pretty hard even with 3 healers. Comp :
Tank : Tankadin, drood feral
DPS : shadow priest, elemental shaman, retladin, fire mage, survival hunter
Heal : healadin (me ofc), disc, drood.

We put 4 ranged (spread => hunter kitting, mage, elemental shaman, drood heal) and all other guys (except magma's tank) are packed at melee.
We are pushing 12-13k hps, 11k hps, 10k hps. But i dont see how we can 2 heal this. With beacon's tank, i can probably keep melee's people alive + tanks, but during mangle that should be hard. And the other healer should have to keep alive the 4 ranged people :s

The melee pack is totally safe, even when lava spew cames. But range people takes so much dammage during this (we've got only 2 raid CD : AM and divine sac, since barrier is used but cant protect ranged people) i'm pretty sure it would be hard to not run oom.

And i dont even imagine P2 when shadow bolts cames.
Are we wrong with our placement ?

Another question : how can we dodge the stun when magma falls on the roof ? our "chainers" cant stop the 4th lava spew because of this.
Ezelyn

Postby PsiVen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:48 am

Doesn't the stun/bodyslam thing land when Magmaw is brought down by the chainers, not when he slumps over to be chained? It's quite a large area (~20yard diagonally through the middle of the room) but you can certainly avoid it while doing anything else.

Ranged positioning is largely irrelevant if you have a frost DK / hunter / etc. solo kiting the adds, which is sort of the point of doing it that way. You can just kinda spread out and avoid fire.

Your raid healers are likely to be near OOM by the first Mangle, but only the first phase is that long. Every other phase is 30 seconds of lava spews, 30 seconds of only mangle. 2-healing it sounds pretty rough, but I can see it working.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Ezelyn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:22 am

PsiVen wrote:Doesn't the stun/bodyslam thing land when Magmaw is brought down by the chainers, not when he slumps over to be chained? It's quite a large area (~20yard diagonally through the middle of the room) but you can certainly avoid it while doing anything else.

I though like you, but i clearly took some stuns yesterday and he wasnt chained. But thanks for this description, i didnt know what was the range of this stun, it will help to replace our 2 "chainers".
This 5th HM will be ours :twisted:
Ezelyn

Postby Arianne » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:25 pm

When a head phase is about to start, Massive Crash happens. This is where Magmaw slams his body down on the ground, though it's classfied as a separate NPC for some reason. One side of the room (divided diagonally through the spike) fills with smoke/steam and after about 5s, if you're still standing in that area, you will be hit by massive crash, which does about 70-80k damage (on heroic 25) and stuns you. If you get stunned, then you were standing in the wrong area. You can get up on Magmaw's back from either the left side or the right side of the spike, so your chainers shouldn't get stunned either.
Arianne

Postby 99sitr » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:56 pm

Ezelyn wrote:
99sitr wrote:This fight is 2 healable if your healers are decent. We decided to try a 2 heal strat this week for the kill whereas our last kill was a 3 heal. This allowed us to have alot more time on Magmaw throughout the encounter

What strategy do you use in a 2 healers way ?
We tried last night this HM and it was pretty hard even with 3 healers. Comp :
Tank : Tankadin, drood feral
DPS : shadow priest, elemental shaman, retladin, fire mage, survival hunter
Heal : healadin (me ofc), disc, drood.

We put 4 ranged (spread => hunter kitting, mage, elemental shaman, drood heal) and all other guys (except magma's tank) are packed at melee.
We are pushing 12-13k hps, 11k hps, 10k hps. But i dont see how we can 2 heal this. With beacon's tank, i can probably keep melee's people alive + tanks, but during mangle that should be hard. And the other healer should have to keep alive the 4 ranged people :s

The melee pack is totally safe, even when lava spew cames. But range people takes so much dammage during this (we've got only 2 raid CD : AM and divine sac, since barrier is used but cant protect ranged people) i'm pretty sure it would be hard to not run oom.

And i dont even imagine P2 when shadow bolts cames.
Are we wrong with our placement ?

Another question : how can we dodge the stun when magma falls on the roof ? our "chainers" cant stop the 4th lava spew because of this.

We only have the 2 raid CD's, AM and DG. We swap off covering the AOE fire damage the best we can. Our ranged are hovering around the front half of the room, melee stay to the left of the spike (unless steam is on that side). I tank magmaw on the far right of the edge. Our 2 healers are able to cover every raid member, my healer (holy Pally) stays a little bit behind me and generally only on the same side I am on. The Holy Priest stays around the other side.

Our hunter kites the parasites in the rear of the room, with the DK tanking the Constructs on the left area near the head if able.

Raid comp is

Prot Pally
Blood DK

Holy Pally
Holy Priest

Fire Mage
Shadow Priest
Balance Druid
Assassination Rogue
Ret Pally
Surv Hunter
99sitr

Postby Belloc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:13 am

For the purposes of lava spew, holy radiance can be counted as a raid cooldown. Also, do not discount barrier just because everyone can't get in it. Everyone should know when the spew is coming and many should be able to reach the barrier.
Belloc

Postby mosa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:32 am

Put a night of attempts into this last night... with disappointing results. How many people need to be at ranged for the construct meteors to avoid melee? I'm thinking it must be 4 now?

How do people stack their raid and then move to ensure they don't get hit by the pillars/fire/massive crash? I'm thinking now of there being 3 areas for the "ranged/healer" group to stand on somewhat rotated around the boss.

When we would have progress we would have stupid deaths to the chainers being dropped in fire etc, or someone getting hit by meteor. I"m assuming if we have a preference to ranged some of those issues go away.
mosa

Postby Fetzie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:41 pm

What wiped us a lot was magmaw meleeing me while I am stunned and being picked up for the mangle phase, and I would take a melee swing (107k without a cooldown) and a tick from the mangle (60k) within a second of each other, which pretty much instantly kills me (~180k life when full). Is there any way to stop this other than simply keeping a cooldown for this moment?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby PsiVen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:13 pm

I always reserve GAnK for throwing up right before the Mangle, which happens on a strict timer. Nothing else demands cooldowns if you tank swap, so major CDs for the first two, stacked secondary CDs for the next two, and majors are back up for 5 & 6.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Belloc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:24 pm

Pyrea wrote:What wiped us a lot was magmaw meleeing me while I am stunned and being picked up for the mangle phase, and I would take a melee swing (107k without a cooldown) and a tick from the mangle (60k) within a second of each other, which pretty much instantly kills me (~180k life when full). Is there any way to stop this other than simply keeping a cooldown for this moment?

I usually use Divine Protection for the first mangle (I'm usually doing fine on health at that point) and then GotAK for the 2nd, AD for the third, whatever I have for the fourth, whatever is up for the fifth, etc.

As soon as you get hit by mangle, use Hand of Protection on yourself. Use Divine Shield after you get hit by the second mangle. Have another paladin HoP you for the third. If you have the paladins, use as many HoPs as possible. By the end of the fight, yours should be back off cooldown for a second use.
Belloc

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)