questions re: al'akir 25

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: questions re: al'akir 25

Postby superworm » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 am

So we put more attempts in this fight. We divided the raid into 8 groups, with the tank placed at 6 o'clock and other groups around the platform evenly. It turned out that the difficulty could be much different among the groups. Generally the tank group will very likely have a wind blast+tornado wall combo, which will most likely cause some trouble. The group on the right hand of the tank sometimes encounter 2 tornado walls which could be very confusing.
Our main problem in P1 is that, sometimes the tank and/or the healer will be blasted out of the platform, which will most likely cause tank death. At first we placed two tanks in the same group. Later I realised it might be better to place the second tank at the back of the boss and taunt when necessary.

A main concern is, whether the tornado wall always form in the same place, or it forms according to the place of the tank? It appears to be form according to the place of the current tank, though I'm still not quite sure.

We successfully got into P3 several times. However some people were dying in P1 or P2, and we didn't have the time to practice much.
superworm

Postby Senador » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:50 am

Tornado walls, seemed to form in relation to where Al’akir is facing. Originally we attempted to have the tank on the southern end of the platform; and then attempted to move the tank to the North end to avoid the double tornado wind blast joy. When we did that, we noticed that there was no discernable difference in squall lines, so just went back to the south point.

Our main problem in P1 is that, sometimes the tank and/or the healer will be blasted out of the platform, which will most likely cause tank death.

This right here is a major issue. Your tank should never get knocked off, and it will come down to tank practice. Being knocked off or picked up in a squall line will almost always result in a tank death, so you really need to avoid it. It is a bit harsher on the tank since they have to do that while also playing avoid the ice storm and while being electrocuted as well, but it needs to be done. Blow a cool down on electrocutes, Body and Soul helps a ton, and if you see a Squall Line approaching and you know a Windburst is coming up, move through the Squall Line proactively instead of waiting for it to come to you; and then move back after it’s all done. You should only have 2 or 3 Wind Bursts in the entire phase to deal with.
Senador

Postby d503 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:45 am

Senador wrote:This right here is a major issue. Your tank should never get knocked off, and it will come down to tank practice. Being knocked off or picked up in a squall line will almost always result in a tank death, so you really need to avoid it.

We place all of our priests in the spots around the tank spot, since Life Grip can pull you out of a tornado after you get picked up.

We make sure the priests (both shadow and holy/disc) are ready to do this, and sometimes just let the MT biff it into the 'nado and get LG'd out if it's one of those lose:lose situations.
d503

Postby Belloc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:00 pm

Generally speaking, if a wind burst is coming, you can temporarily forget about positioning for the sake of avoiding squall lines. I've run into other peoples' cones before and I've never had a lightning strike go off until I was back in my position.
Belloc

Postby Senador » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 pm

Generally speaking, if a wind burst is coming, you can temporarily forget about positioning for the sake of avoiding squall lines. I've run into other peoples' cones before and I've never had a lightning strike go off until I was back in my position.

This is what we did, and we made sure the groups with 4 were on the opposite side as the tank to avoid a cross over in case lightning did occur.

We had originally considered going with Life Grips, but it just became easier to have the tank not get hit by the Squall Line in the first place
Senador

Postby Belloc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Keep in mind, though, that if your tank moves out of melee range, your off-tank won't be able to successfully taunt. As soon as the tank is out of melee range, the boss goes into electrocute mode and, for whatever reason, taunting doesn't work until the tank is back in position. Not sure if the same thing happens during melee range squall lines, though.
Belloc

Postby superworm » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Belloc wrote:Keep in mind, though, that if your tank moves out of melee range, your off-tank won't be able to successfully taunt. As soon as the tank is out of melee range, the boss goes into electrocute mode and, for whatever reason, taunting doesn't work until the tank is back in position. Not sure if the same thing happens during melee range squall lines, though.

We also found that once the boss started channeling the electrocute, it won't change target until the target was dead or the channeling was finished. As the most problematic situation for the tank is wind+tornado combo, I'm considering to place a second tank at the right opposite side of the main tank, and when the combo comes, the off tank tanuts to prevent a bad situation.

We used a bear tank at first, and he will get blasted off the platform once in 2 pulls. Later we changed to a warrior tank who sometimes can jump over the tornado. I say sometimes because he reported that the heroic leap would at times fail to cross the tornado wall and he still need more practice.
superworm

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:28 pm

The tank's class really doesn't matter, though I guess a DK would be at the biggest disadvantage due to neither charges nor PoJ. It's more a question of getting used to the timing and recognizing what each situation calls for. The worst ones I found were if the first two squall lines had their gaps at the outer edge - usually the best approach with those is to run out and meet them a couple of seconds before windburst comes off cooldown though occasionally the timers line up so you're better off staying ahead of the squall line and using the windburst to knock you out to the edge. Going off your assigned line for a few seconds when necessary is usually not as big of a deal for the tank.

When progressing the fight on normal I tended to intentionally move out of melee range fairly early to use electrocute to delay the windburst cast (he will not cast windburst if he's channeling electrocute) - that's perfectly viable on normal as long as you use a CD of some sort if you're going to end up taking electrocute for more than 4-5 seconds. On heroic electrocute damage ramps up considerably and it's simply a matter of practice and learning the timing, trying to delay windbursts to be more convenient will just get the tank killed.
Rhiannon

Postby Fenris » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:36 am

Well,started trying it last week and we finally managed to avoid being destroyed during p1

Now we are having lots of problems managing feedback stacks,any suggestion oon how to time adds kills?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Kishandra » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 am

Fenris wrote:Well,started trying it last week and we finally managed to avoid being destroyed during p1

Now we are having lots of problems managing feedback stacks,any suggestion oon how to time adds kills?

Have a dedicated dpser mark the adds as they spawn. First one with skull, next one with x, third one unmarked.

Range dps are to dot the adds as they spawn, then switch back to al akir immediately, while your dedicated marker is dpsing the adds to lowish (5-15%) hp before feedback should be refreshed.

At X seconds left before feedback falls, your marker calls out for all range dps to switch to and kill skull. After it's dead and feedback is restacked, put skull on something else, rinse and repeat.

Adds spawn every 20 seconds and feedback has a 20 second duration, but you never get the killing to be close enough to keep it stacked throughout. The ideal time to start stacking feedback, we've found, is to kill the first add just as the third spawns.
Kishandra

Postby Fenris » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:55 am

Will try,thanks
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Jaitee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 am

this fight is really fun except for the random moments when everything bad comes at once which while its possible to deal with is just annoying

i do have one question with the adds on p2 after i run out then back in they end up behind me so while im hitting alakir they are hitting me in the back so i have no avoidance for them has anyone got a movement trick that will allow me to keep them and the boss in front of me?
Jaitee

Postby Sagedin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:42 am

Not sure if mentioned already, but what worked for us was going with 8 healers instead of our normal 7 for progression. Also, we used 2 tanks.

Our set-up basically had 2 healers + Al'Akir tank together and groups of 3 on all the other spades on the platform. This leaves you with 1 group without a healer and 1 group of 4 people on a spade. Ideally have a lightwell available for the group without a healer.

In P2 we had the Al'Akir tank + his 2 dedicated healers stay where they were. The rest of the raid stacked to the side/back to avoid parries and maximise melee dps. Our second tank, tanked the stormlings out of the group and ranged dps'd these down to 50% when they spawn. When the 3rd stormling spawns we start to kill the first one and after that we have a dedicated ranged mark and call out the kill target. This way we stack the debuf to 7 and then Bloodlust.

In P3 we used the Top, slightly down, Bottom, sligthly up strategy, which works like a charm.
Sagedin

Postby Fenris » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:52 pm

tested yesterday...Finally seen some progress,made it to 30/35% with a max of 7 stacks

We actually let them fall after 7 to spend the 20s full dps on the boss with heroism...But thinking about it i'm not sure it is the best idea
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Belloc » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:27 pm

Letting the stacks drop is never a good idea if it can be avoided.
Belloc

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)