Heroic Halfus 25 man

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Heroic Halfus 25 man

Postby exiledknight » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 am

Got the first handful of pulls in last night and other than seeing that it is not imperative to release the time warden(our melee apparantly cant be bothered to see the fireballs) it seemed like even with the tanks lining up a major CD for furious roar we never made it more than a few seconds past one without a tank dying. So I have a few questions for those who have killed it.

How many drakes are you releasing on the pull and when do you release the whelps? Secondly what other means do you use to try and survive a furious roar while drake tanking? I am using a WoG type build, popping guardian of ancient kings and ensuring that I have a 3 hp WoG ready, after I adjusted to this other than a healer dying I was living through the first roar.
exiledknight

Re: Heroic Halfus 25 man

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:48 am

Setup a raid cooldown rotation around furious roars. Also use your own personal cooldown, especially if you're tanking a drake at the time. Make sure people aren't standing on top of a fire patch when it goes out.

We release 3 drakes and whelps on the pull. After first drake is dead we release the final one. We use 4 tanks. Whelps aren't really tanked or DPS'd except through incidental damage.

Taunt swap Halfus with another tank before your stacks reach 5 if you can. We try to only use two tanks to make coordination easier. If the stacks build up quicker than expected on one of the tanks then I BOP myself or HoP the other tank to clear them. Sometimes they can go from 5 to 9 in a couple seconds and that's extremely dangerous when tanking a drake.

Here's a video of our first kill, we've gotten better this last one. Don't let the stacks get as high as we did. It was our first night there and we got a bit lucky with not dying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSfn3rHtJKk

You might notice I created some target macros. They're very handy here due to all the crap all over the place. It's a good idea to do the same.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Kerriodos » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:55 am

We killed this last night with a four tank strategy, using two smite-spamming disc priests. Off the pull we had our Druid pick up the boss, Death Knight pick up Nether Scion, Warrior got Time Warden, and I picked up Whelps and Storm Rider (though in reality a lot of the Whelps tend to spread themselves out over the tanks as we start AoEing).

We left the Slate Drake alone until later; burned the Storm Rider, then Nether Scion, by which time Whelps were dead. At this point I released the Slate drake and we pushed him below 50%. We offtanked the two drakes still alive throughout the phase, using two Power Word: Barrier's for the first Furious roars (on the tanks) and one Divine Guardian for the third.

My advice for dealing with the roars is to just try to have some kind of raid cooldown up, and hopefully a Divine Protection or something, and squeeze a Word of Glory in between stuns, there's not much else you can do. Your healers basically need to survive, though a tank death in the last part is not the end of the world. Our warrior fell over before the last Roar, and I ended up tanking two drakes across the finish line while our DK and Druid continued swapping for the Mortal Strike.
Kerriodos

Postby Brutalus » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:55 pm

We use 5 tanks and release everything except the slate dragon at the start:

1 x paladin: boss
1 x bear: boss
1 x paladin: nether scion
1 x dk: time warden
1 x warrior: storm rider

We put our offspec tanks (the bear and other paladin) on the boss. We kill the time warden first while cleaving the whelps and then kill off the storm rider. When the whelps die, we release the slate dragon. We are supposed to be "splitting" the whelps between the tanks, but usually I just end up tanking them all from spamming hotr. When the storm and the whelps are dead we're left with the boss, the slate, and the scion - so we have a gimp tank just sitting around doing loldps in case someone dies to furious roar. On the roars, we do:

First roar:

All tanks use their large cooldowns (50% reduction) for the duration of it, and I BoP our holy priest. We also have a PW:Barrier from one of our disc priests.

Second roar:

Since we have 3 disc priests spamming smite they all have an assigned pain suppresion for each tank on this roar. Another priest also puts up a PW:Barrier.

Third roar:

The combination of the rest of weak cooldowns (usually where we lose tanks). I use AD + DP and usually come out of the roar with ~40k health with just enough time to get a LoH on myself before the next swing comes in. We use the last barrier and have 1 of our holy paladins bubble the roar and keep healing.

We don't have a fourth roar, but you can probably BoP the remainder of your healers and have the rest bubble, and have some rets bubble + hand of sac if you're struggling here, although on our first kill we lost all three of our drake tanks on the third roar and still killed him. Another thing we found very helpful for roars when we didn't have cooldowns up for whatever reason was getting an army of the dead up - it'll taunt all the drakes and if timed right it'll keep them off the tanks for the duration.
Brutalus

Postby pfunkmort » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 pm

I actually was lucky enough to lose power for 48 hours earlier this week when the kill occurred, but my guild subbed in a ret OS in my place, so it was more or less the same. We 4 tanked, with me and a bear tank bouncing the nether scion and halfus back and forth, one dk on the time warden, and a warrior on the storm rider and whelps. Burn targets were storm rider and whelps, at which point the warrior taunted off the scion, and our p2 burn started. our cd rotation was focused on the two remaining drake tanks as halfus doesn't really do any damage while furious roar is going out, and smite spam was keeping up the two halfus tanks (who at this point were taking a lot less damage)... We originally five tanked it, but wiped at 3% and said screw it and went to 4 tanks. You could probably 5 tank it easily enough - my only suggestion would be to free the last drake for part of the burn, as the stun will help a lot for beating the enrage.

we had personal CDs, a bop on a non-paladin healer, a holy paladin bubble, and an external, for every furious roar. The external was easy enough, with two barriers in raid, a dg and then like 6 paladins - for tons of HoS. Someone had heard that free action pots would immune you during the roar, but apparently that's only in normal mode, so a wasted stack of stranglekelp, I guess (maybe the ZG version works but I didn't have access to try). This fight was a lot more frustrating before we had all the tanks and healers DL bigwigs for the encounter, which has a timer for furious roar and allowed everyone to set up their CDs. DBM didn't have a working timer for it.
[2.Trade][Alessan]: Is WoW becoming an online kart racer in 4.0.3?
[2.Trade][Tehron]: Yes
pfunkmort

Postby exiledknight » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:26 am

Yeah I got big wigs for Nefarion to help with the kiting and turned on the furious roar for halfus, unfortunately healers were not reacting quick enough when I was calling roar in 5, so idk.
exiledknight

Postby warden » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:16 am

DBM's latest alpha has a working timer. For anyone interested in hand-coding it, the spell ID for roar was typoed for heroic 25-- it's xxx170 in the release version (that's the 10 man version) instead of xxx171 (the 25 man version). We figured this out a few pulls in on Thursday night while we were working on it. For those stopwatching or whatnot, its an "every 30 seconds" cast, easy enough to track.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby amityafflict » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:30 am

Just a heads up but you don't need 4-5 tanks if your guild doesn't have that many, we've managed to get away with 3 tanks every time. The set up goes as follows: release nether storm and time warden at the start (this is probably the most intensive part). Have 1 tank pick up time warden and storm whilst the other two bounce between nether and halfus. As a general rule of thumb if one of the tanks MS stacks goes above 8 have the other tank have both nether and halfus agro, you'll just drive your healers mana into the ground if you're trying to heal through high stacks of MS. Continue this until the dps has killed both the time warden and storm has been slain (remember to keep interrupts on halfus as well). After release the whelps and aoe them down, aim to have halfus sitting just above 50% ready for the first roar. After that it's just a matter of dealing with the roars. Have 1 tank solely on nether scion whilst the other two taunt swap the debuff. During the roars halfus doesn't attack but the scion does so make sure healers are focusing on nether tank. Set up some healing/protection cd rotations and burn hard hopefully before enrage hits!
amityafflict

Postby culhag » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:15 am

Also something you can easily miss about the Furious Roars : you can still move between the roars, so don't stay in the fire !
culhag
Maintankadonor

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)