Remove Advertisements

Any tips for Heroic Halfus 10 - Man?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Any tips for Heroic Halfus 10 - Man?

Postby 99sitr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Ezharon wrote:
Galtea wrote:
Gaxby wrote:As of 4.0.6, if a guild is just starting out, is 3 tanks and 3 healers a better comp or 2 tanks and 4 healers?

Neither. 2 tanks, 3 healers.

We're starting heroic Halfus this week too.

So as of 4.0.6 the strat seems : release storm and nether at pull (1 tank on each drake and switching on Halfus according to the debuff stacks), then release whelps (for example) when the 1st drake is dead, then time when the 2nd drake is dead. And ignore slate.

Is that it? No more need for a 3rd tank?

You are going to want to release Storm, Nether, and either Whelps or Time. Depending on how well your raid can adjust to moving for the fireballs (Time Warden) you may or may not want to release him. If people just stand still regardless and don't move for them then there is no need to release Time>Whelps. Personally I feel the damage from Whelps not being released is more predictable and generally doesn't attribute to a death like the more "spikey" fireball damage that comes from the Time warden not being released.

Granted we haven't downed this encounter but that was probably due to us only 2 healing it with 2 tanks. Our best attempt got 2 drakes down before we wiped :(. Those 2 being Time and Nether. We will hopefully have a full raid week this week and down this encounter as we have been working on H Chimaeron instead.
99sitr

Postby Ezelyn » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:19 am

Ezharon wrote:Is that it? No more need for a 3rd tank?

We still kill him in a comp : 4 dps 3 tank 3 heal
We release Scion Storm and Time at pull.

Feral drood on Halfus, a tankadin on Time+Storm and an other tankadin on Scion (the focused drake).
Its kind of lame with our comp (2 tankadin and 1 healadin) and i'm pretty sure we can do it in a "2 tank 3 heal" way (and releasing maybe only 2 drakes on start).

But we feels pretty confortable and if your raid has enought DPS it's a easy way to learn the fight.

Kicking the nova feels to me the key of the fight. Tanks aren't hit capped :)
Using a dps chaman is the way we go (dps on drake but keep focus on Halfus with a kicking macro)
Ezelyn

Postby Belloc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Ezharon wrote:
Is that it? No more need for a 3rd tank?

There has never been a need for a 3rd tank. Stacking either an extra tank or healer has always helped while learning, but it has never been required for a kill. We haven't used either since pre-nerf.
Belloc

Postby PsiVen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:12 pm

Halfus pre-nerf was a bit of a dice roll, even with a 3rd tank or 4th healer. I'd still recommend 4-healing to learn it if you have a good option, but 3-tanking probably isn't necessary given that most of the nerfs were to the tank damage.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Ezharon » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:46 pm

So we've made our first few trys at heroic Halfus yesterday and finally went with a slightly different strat that our priest bring to us (which is used by the leading guild of our server 5/13 heroic as of today).

Our war tank was on Halfus and I was on Storm + Scion + Time at pull. When our war was at 9 stacks of healing debuff I HoP him (and he cancelaura it) then when he got 9 other stacks I taunt Halfus and he taunt Scion from me. At this time the storm was already dead (or only with a few % and was dying around the same time).

When I was at 9 stacks I bubble (+ cancelaura) myself and when I got another 9 stacks we switch on Halfus. At this time the Scion was dead and I released whelps. Time was around 40%.

Seems to work great at the begining but we've got the same problem for a few trys. No more tanks or heals CD left (everything is on recharge). I've got 9 stacks of healing debuff when releasing the whelps, still tanking the Time. And our healers were very low on mana so we were starting losing a few DPS then either myself or our war tank.

What do you think of this strat ? We shall return to heroic Halfus later this week and I don't know if we shall continue with this strat or try another...
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby Ezelyn » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:56 am

You have no option to bring a 4th Heal or a 3rd tank ? it's works pretty well.

when you say you push to 9 stacks, is it a choice, or do you really swap when debuff fade ? 9 seems too hight when you cant bubble or hop.

Some tips can be used too : have your mage pull Halfus, transfer in the rooms entrance. Your warrior stay in mid room, let halfus pass in front of him and taunt him when he is close to your mage.
You can gain maybe 10sec in the stack sequence. I'm so bad in english so maybe you cant understand what i'm talking about, but it allows your war to not tank halfus when Halfus isnt under Blindness skill (the scion release)
Ezelyn

Postby Ezharon » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Ezelyn wrote:You have no option to bring a 4th Heal or a 3rd tank ? it's works pretty well.

4th Heal is not an option for us. 3rd tank maybe. Not sure if this may help us with 3 heals.

Ezelyn wrote:you say you push to 9 stacks, is it a choice, or do you really swap when debuff fade ? 9 seems too hight when you cant bubble or hop.

Yes maybe we shall swap tanks earlier (6 stacks) when HoP or bubble aren't available.
Ezharon

Postby Ezharon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Finally down him yesterday using 3 tanks (and still 3 heals). First try we wiped at 4% because we failed interrupting a roar. Next try was the good one. Really easier with 3 tanks than 2.
Ezharon

Postby Ezelyn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 am

Ezharon wrote:Finally down him yesterday using 3 tanks (and still 3 heals). First try we wiped at 4% because we failed interrupting a roar. Next try was the good one. Really easier with 3 tanks than 2.

Yep 3-3-4 is perfect on this fight.
Glad to see you've killed him so soon.
Ezelyn

Postby randomjibberish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:32 pm

My guild just downed Heroic Halfus last night. It took a while for us to start on heroics (we have bad token luck) and we got Halfus down in 5 attempts.

We used 3 tanks, 3 healers, 4 dps.

The strategy we used was we had Time, Storm, Nether Scion, and the Whelps activated on pull. I would tank the 3 drakes and the whelps, and the other two tanks alternate tanking Halfus.

Also, on the pull we had our priest lifegrip our warrior tanks to give some time for nether to activate.

I think I drove my healers nuts though.
randomjibberish

Postby Fetzie » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:17 am

We two-tank, 3 heal and pull everything but slate at the beginning.

I (prot pala) take Halfus and nether.
WArrior tank takes Storm, Time and we share the whelps.

bloodlust about 10 seconds into the fight, our mage spams AoE (spikes at ~300k bomb dps)while everyone else other than our DK (interrupt duty) kills Storm, then time, then nether. The whelps die at about the same time as the first drake. Time and nether are usually at about 70% when storm dies, and nether is usually under 50% when time dies.

I tank Halfus until I have 12 stacks, bubble/cancel them off and tank for a further 6 stacks. The warrior taunts halfus and I take time off him, and use my 4set GoAK to make healing me easier. The warrior gets a HoP at 6-7 stacks and then tanks for another 5-6. Then we taunt off each other after 6 stacks.

Halfus is at about 60% when the last drake (nether) dies, giving us a few seconds to recover for the first furious roar at 50%. Then it is simply a question of killing him and not dying to stupid crap. Our mage blinks out of the furious roar to interrupt it. The boss dies about 4:30 after the pull.

Useful advice for the tanks:
Do everything you can to increase your avoidance and the time it takes halfus to reach you when pulling. it takes about 3 seconds to get the debuffs on him from the drakes, which is plenty of time for him to rack up 6-7 stacks of malevolent strike.
Agility potions increase your dodge chance.
The Tol'Barad agility trinket /use increases your dodge chance.
The trinket from valiona increases your dodge chance.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby maurok » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 am

I need some help guys =[

We are working on this boss, pretty much in a similar to what pyrea do, but a few differences:
- we have a hunter with a turtle pet (tank specced) tanking the nether scion... with 40% extra heal and not being target of the breaths or fireballs, she is pretty much healed with our holy pala beacon + mend pet.
- thus, our warrior tank gets time warden and storm, I get halfus and almost all whelps (mainly because my AoE threat is much stronger)

I'm in a avoidance gear, I reforged everything to have max avoidance and I'm using DMC:Earthquake and that parry trinket from Grim Batol's 2nd boss (16% parry and dodge raid buffed)... our priest disc is healing me shielding almost every 7~8 seconds, so I need to reset after 70~90s of the fight, and then I reset a second time using HoP.
by the time of the 2nd reset, only nether scion is up, then we keep switching who tanks halfus.

we don't have mage on the group, so the holy pala bubbles the 1st roar to interrupt, and he hops our rogue for the 2nd.... then we don't have anything for the others, and usually 3~4 ppl die on the 3rd roar (including a tank), and we wipe around the 10% mark...
this happened 4 times already.

any tips of what can we do without a mage do deal with the other 2 roars we are probably going to run into?
maurok

Postby Belloc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:29 am

You shouldn't have to HoP yourself for the second MS reset -- just use a taunt swap. That way your HoP will be up for another interrupt.

Alternatively, you can stack up raid cooldowns for whichever roar is killing you. Hit your Divine Guardian and have your Disc Priest toss a PW: Barrier on the raid. Have the holy paladin save Holy Radiance for this part and you should be able to survive it.

Finally, if your DPS is strong enough, you could always just pull the final drake and kill it before bringing Halfus to 50%. With some luck, Halfus will get interrupted in the middle of a Furious Roar and you won't have to worry about anything.
Belloc

Postby maurok » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:42 am

Belloc wrote:You shouldn't have to HoP yourself for the second MS reset -- just use a taunt swap. That way your HoP will be up for another interrupt.

Alternatively, you can stack up raid cooldowns for the third roar. Hit your Divine Guardian and have your Disc Priest toss a PW: Barrier on the raid. Have the holy paladin save Holy Radiance for this part and you should be able to survive it.

Also, do you have logs?

now that you've mentioned... I can also spec into Guardian favor and use HoP for the 1st reset, than I can have it up for the 3rd roar.

also, do you think releasing slate and just keeping him up without dpsing for the stun helps? we can even leave the turtle tanking him.

sry... no logs for those tries... we started the tries with 2 mages "borrowed" from another group because a couple of guys from our team arrived VERY late, after they left the guy who keeps the log forgot to /combatlog

we were using the same strat though, just changed the 2 mages for a boomkin and a warlock.
this was our best try with the mages(we also wiped on 11%, due to BOTH mages failing on blinking/interrupts) http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kt4fnickez6n43i0/sum/damageDone/?s=3764&e=4101.

unfortunatelly on our next raid night, we won't have any of those mages available =/
maurok

Postby Belloc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:52 am

If you think that the pet can survive tanking the drake without heals during the roars, feel free to give it a shot! If nothing else, the extra 100% damage might help you kill the boss before the third Roar.

But, yeah, grabbing that talent for an extra HoP doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.
Belloc

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)