Remove Advertisements

Any tips for Heroic Halfus 10 - Man?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Any tips for Heroic Halfus 10 - Man?

Postby Nothan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:08 pm

When we first tried heroic Halfus (10 man), we killed it in 1 try much to the groups surprise. All other subsequent wipes the following weeks are due to missed interrupts after the 3rd roar or random confusion on what drake to kill first. What we did was release all of the drakes except Slate on the pull. Stacked them all up and cleaved the hell out of everything. Once all the drakes are dead, one of the free tanks goes and releases Slate and offtanks it for the rest of the fight.

We use 3 tanks (prot warrior on Nether, prot pally on Halfus, prot warrior on Storm, Time, Whelps and then offtanks Slate), 3 healers and 4 dps. The Nether/Halfus do the tank swaps.
Nothan

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Yay, finally got this guy tonight.

I would totally like to thank you guys for the suggestions in here.

We had a mage pull and flee to the corner to pop mirror images as suggested, totally rocks for the pull.

Then the Halfus tank (bear) also pulled Nether Scion on pull with a shammy interupting.

Our Pally tank pulled whelps, and a ret pulled the Storm Rider so the pally tank could taunt it. That was ok, but what made a nice difference was putting a beetle pet (or turtle, as suggested) on Time Warden at the pull. I (Holy Pally) beaconed the beetle, and barring bad RNG or other issues it was able to tank Time indefinitely.

We AOE'd the whelps, then polished off Storm and Nether. Once those three were down a tank pulled Time off the pet, and another tank pulled Slate for the stuns (did not dps him down).

We HoP stacks off the bear at ~5 stacks, and he cancelaura taunt to recover Halfus and Nether. Then at about 3 stacks the Pally took him until the Bear's stacks dropped, then Bear held him until 5 again, when Ret pally HoP'd him. By that time enough was down that the tanks just switched Halfus and Nether.

Having the pet on Time Warden helped the raid healers, and to some extent me, immensely mana and healing wise. I mean even with a mana pot, being so far from Halfus for half the fight left me starved from SoI so I ran oom a couple times till Nether was almost down.

Also, I did a fairly risky thing. I had the Bear focused so I could watch his stacks, and if he got close to half on the debuff dropping I would taunt (I did say risky) Halfus from near max range. Once he got close to me, the bear would take him back and about half the time his stacks would drop without a HoP. Only got it to happen like twice, but hey, its enough. The major risk in this is that Halfus becomes taunt immune after like ~4 taunt in 15secs or some similar amount. Wearing plate and shield, I can take a couple hits if the Bear taunt misses or he's taunt immune, but I can't hold him for more than about 6 secs before dieing or needing to Divine Shield (which would prevent me from using it on furious roar later). This risky taunt thing is prolly only worthwhile on an avoidance tank like a Bear/DK which would have a lower MS chance per swing. But hey, for a first kill I'll take it.

But thanks again for the Mage mirror image pull and the pet Drake tank ideas, they were awesome.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby maurok » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:38 am

Hrobertgar wrote:(...)
But thanks again for the Mage mirror image pull and the pet Drake tank ideas, they were awesome.

The mirror image pull can be switched for a rogue evasion pull (our rogue have a little more than 80% dodge + 5% parry + 5% miss with evasion up and pre-potting agi)... you can leave halfus on him safely for 10~12sec.
this is good for mageless parties like mine =]

Another tip that helps us A LOT, is having a disc priest with Strength of soul 2/2... after the whelps die and I'm only tanking halfus (warrior on time + storm, turtle pet on nether), he can keep me for a long time, even with 12 stacks. If he uses 2 heal/greater heal on me between shields, he can shield me for like 29k every 7 seconds... considering I'm dodging all fireballs, it takes like 40s at least to get me from like 110~130k Health to ~30k (when I usually reset the stacks for a second time)
maurok

Postby domipal » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:41 pm

my group finally killed cho'gall on sunday! it was messy... very messy.. but a kill nonetheless. We'll be attempting halfus on heroic tonight, and we're going for a 3 tank strat to try to simplify things. As of now, I'm thinking that we'll have the less geared paladin start tanking halfus, I will tank time + storm, and our normally dps warrior will tank nether. Kill storm, and by the time storm is dead the halfus tank and I will trade, kill nether, release whelps. Does anyone have any suggestions about this plan and will it work? Should we just try 2 tanking it?
domipal

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:27 pm

For a first couple kills I am thinking 3 tanks or 2 tanks and a pet is way better.

Also, keep in mind that on heroic MS stacks are 8% healing reduction, stacking to 12 stacks for 96% total, vs normal (@6% each for 15 stacks and 90% healing reduced total).

So you may have to use all 3 tanks for the Halfus-MS rotation and bubble off stacks shortly above 5 stacks, depending on how much they are tanking. You can switch, bubble stacks off, then swtich again as needed. HoP from a holy or ret pally can be applied to any tank that does not have forebearance, just remember that Lay on Hands now applies forebearance too.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby maurok » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:30 am

Hrobertgar wrote:(...)So you may have to use all 3 tanks for the Halfus-MS rotation and bubble off stacks shortly above 5 stacks(...)

not always true... if you have a disc priest with you, you can reset with LOTS of stacks.
I tank halfus + whelps on the beginning, I reseted the first time with 11 stacks (since I'm tanking the whelps, the extra incoming damage made me reset earlier), and the second time after being with 12 stacks for a while... I usually reset with 25% health (to be safe).

here is a piece of our last kill log, I'll show the first hit I got from halfus, 1st and last MS before reseting both times:
Code: Select all
[00:46:30.689] Halfus Wyrmbreaker hits Chakaal Dodge
[00:46:33.500] Chakaal afflicted by Malevolent Strikes from Halfus Wyrmbreaker
[00:47:01.283] Chakaal afflicted by Malevolent Strikes (11) from Halfus Wyrmbreaker
[00:47:01.661] Chakaal gains Divine Shield from Chakaal
[00:47:01.661] Halfus Wyrmbreaker's Malevolent Strikes fades from Chakaal
[00:47:12.794] Chakaal afflicted by Malevolent Strikes from Halfus Wyrmbreaker
[00:48:02.201] Chakaal afflicted by Malevolent Strikes (12) from Halfus Wyrmbreaker
[00:48:23.262] Chakaal gains Hand of Protection from Chakaal
[00:48:23.262] Halfus Wyrmbreaker's Malevolent Strikes fades from Chakaal

So I reseted 1st time around 30sec after started tanking halfus... then I reseted a 2nd time almost 1.5min after the 1st, and I stayed with 12 stacks over 20 sec. if you want the full log of what happened with me, and the magic of Power Word: Shield while I'm at 12 stacks, check the log HERE (this log shows hostile stuff towards me, any heal over 2k, PW:S behavior and Divine Shield/HoP to check reseting)

another tip, if you are going for 1st kill, reforge everything to avoidance... since halfus have 30% chance to miss you, you are throwing a lot of block out of the attack table by stacking mastery... I even use avoidance trinkets to slow MS stacking on me (popping agi pot after 1st reset helps as well).

last tip, if you have a holy pally... ask him to not lay on hand you for god sakes!

I hope it helps =]
maurok

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:34 am

If you are going to 10+ stacks on heroic, it implies that you are only holding Halfus himself, and not a drake. For most groups, 2 tanks strongly implies that the Halfus tank also has a drake, which makes resetting stacks a much higher priority.

Halfus may hit like a girl, but healing a tank thru drake hits while he has more than like 5 stacks (40% healing debuff) is rough, and frankly brutal above 7 stacks. Strategy on when to reset stacks depends on incoming damage, and with Halfus hitting for half of what a drake hits for, and missing a lot assuming Nether Scion is active, implies he is only like ~1/3 of a drake for damage taken. Heck, on normal mode if I am tanking halfus alone without a drake, I goto 15 stacks, then wait till GaNK expires before resetting. Hlafus alone is about ~ 1/4 the dmg output of Halfus + 1 Drake.

I do agree that the primary Halfus tank should sport lots of avoidance, thats why our Bear tank had him. The slower the stacks build, the less frequent they need to be reset.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby maurok » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 am

sure... but I replied to your
(...)So you may have to use all 3 tanks for the Halfus-MS rotation and bubble off stacks shortly above 5 stacks(...)

since you were talking about 3 tanks (or 2 tanks + pet) as we do, I thought it worth mentioning ;D

and as I said, I tank halfus + whelps
maurok

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)