Any tips for Heroic Halfus 10 - Man?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Any tips for Heroic Halfus 10 - Man?

Postby Lanikai » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:49 pm

My gear is: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... i/advanced

Tanks: DK/Paladin
Healers: Paladin/Disc Priest/Druid - Was Paladin/Shaman/druid

Boss has 51 million hp and the drakes have 4.15 million
You get all 4 drakes + whelps on heroic.
Drakes melee for 50k full hit

Plan -> Pull Storm/Scion/Time + boss together
Reasoning: For interrupts/Miss chance/Fireballs dodge-able
- Had a lot of tries and with this we got the furthest. Heals need time releases(too much aoe healing needed), tanks need scion released (stacking strike to 10 far too quick) and everyone needs storm(shadow nova is op)

Lust burn Scion down, BOPing dk at 8 stacks. As dragon dies dk is on 5 stacks give or take and I taunt Halfus and keep tanking Time. We release Slate and kill Time, I bubble at 8 stacks. (can't make it this far tho interrupts we fucking awful..) after Time dies dk will taunt Halfus back and we kill Storm -> Slate then boss.

Anyone achieved this on 10 man this way? We are finding it so hard for healers since most of my cd's are used early :/
Lanikai

Re: Any tips for Heroic Halfus 10 - Man?

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:22 am

I'm wondering whether it would be simpler/easier to take three tanks (the boss will be taking 250% more damage), one tank takes halfus + 1 drake, one tank takes two drakes, one tank takes whelps + 1 drake

nuke halfus tank's drake first, then the tank with two drakes has his killed (one or two depending on the abilities on halfus). the whelp + drake tank offtanks throughout the fight.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 am

Pyrea wrote:I'm wondering whether it would be simpler/easier to take three tanks (the boss will be taking 250% more damage), one tank takes halfus + 1 drake, one tank takes two drakes, one tank takes whelps + 1 drake

nuke halfus tank's drake first, then the tank with two drakes has his killed (one or two depending on the abilities on halfus). the whelp + drake tank offtanks throughout the fight.

If you release that many drakes at once, you won't last longer than 10 seconds.

The strat that we've been using is to release Storm Rider (slows shadow nova casts), Nether Scion (25% less attack speed, damage, and chance to hit) and whelps (less damage from the proto drake) right off the bat. We AOE down the whelps and release Time Warden (makes the fireball barrage avoidable).

If we're alive long enough to make it this point, our healers are running low on mana. The goal at this point is to finish off whatever drakes are active and then switch to the boss. Of course, we've never lived long enough to manage that.

And, yes, we use 3 tanks. We have a bear on Halfus, since his avoidance is high enough to give us better RNG on the Malevolent Strikes debuff. He has a /cancelaura hand of protection macro set up to drop his stacks, the idea being that our paladin will then take over once the druid's stacks get too high again.

Simply put, there is very little reason to actively work on 10-man heroic content at the moment. Whereas 25-man raiders get, what, 6-7 pieces of heroic loot and 1-2 heroic tokens on heroic mode, 10-man raiders only get 2 pieces of loot and no tokens. Heroic fights require massive amounts of raid stacking that most 10-man guilds cannot handle. Hell, many of the 25-man raids require stacking that literally cannot translate to 10-man (the 25-man Halfus strategy, for instance, cannot be translated to 10-man), possibly making the fights currently impossible. It's stupid and it will either be fixed or people will wait until tier 12.
Belloc

Postby mosa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:33 am

Wait what? 10 Man heroic versions of fights don't drop some of the same items? The upgrades to the tier tokens don't drop in 10 man?
mosa

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:38 am

Not off the bosses that are dropping them on 25-man. I'm sure they'll drop off end bosses, but... well, 10-man heroics are fucked right now.
Belloc

Postby Lanikai » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:55 am

Ye kinda got the feeling it was bent on 10 man.

Think I'll just go Omnitron or Conclave till we get more gear

Cheers for input tho
Lanikai

Postby mosa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:58 am

Belloc wrote:Not off the bosses that are dropping them on 25-man. I'm sure they'll drop off end bosses, but... well, 10-man heroics are fucked right now.

WTFH?????

One main thing brought me back to wow, that I would be able to run 10 man raids and get the same chance at the same gear, this is more than mildly annoying. Am I missing something on why having different teir upgrade tokens drop on 10 man would be different for 10 man?
mosa

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:06 pm

It's either part of the gear incentive given to 25-mans (quite an incentive, there) or it's because Blizzard didn't bother tuning much of anything regarding 10-man raiding. Here's hoping that more 10-man raiders (the ones actually clearing the heroic modes) start speaking up about it. Blizzard can do a better job balancing content than this.
Belloc

Postby mosa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Belloc wrote:It's either part of the gear incentive given to 25-mans (quite an incentive, there) or it's because Blizzard didn't bother tuning much of anything regarding 10-man raiding. Here's hoping that more 10-man raiders (the ones actually clearing the heroic modes) start speaking up about it. Blizzard can do a better job balancing content than this.

Well here I am, I mean were only 9/12, but here I am pushing the guild and our raid to down Chogall so we can start looking at hard mode Halfus, and part of what I was selling was the chest upgrade tokens... blarg
mosa

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:18 pm

They may fix it before long -- who knows? I'm really hoping that they use 4.0.6 as an opportunity to get their heads out of their asses.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. Probably best to keep this thread on-topic. We certainly don't need 25-man raiders dropping in to ask us what we expected...
Belloc

Postby Faro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:23 pm

I'll tell you what we've been doing that's been "working" for us.

Tanks: Prot paladin, Blood DK, Prot Warrior(ms fury).
Healers: 2x Holy Pally, 1x Resto Druid (I know, no inspiration/ancestral fortitude)
DPS: Rogue, Fire Mage, Demo Lock, Surv Hunter

We have the warrior release Nether Scion, the hunter release/MD Time Warden to me, and the DK pick up Storm Rider/Halfus to start. I pull Halfus and run away until the nether scion debuff is on him, then the DK Taunts him and hopes. I release whelps and pick them up along with time. Our mage stays on Halfus until she has a good ignite then she combusts with the demo and we aoe the whelps down. If whelps aren't down in the first 20s it's a wipe from damage intake. We have a rogue focus interrupt nova and burn down Storm first because his autos are 55-60k. The tanks interrupt every other together, and dps focuses Storm Rider. Anything more than 5 stacks of Malefic is pretty much unhealable damage intake, so everyone should be able to manage a dragon+Halfus. Lust at the pull, once the whelps+storm are dead it's fine unless you miss an interrupt. Kill time then focus on Halfus, leave Slate chained down unless your healers are really confident in being able to heal through 2 dragons+halfus+furious roar. Use bops to handle Malefic stacking too high too fast.

Furious Roar happens at 50%, Slate can stun him out of it but don't depend on it. We have a mage blink for the shadow nova interrupt, but I'm told warriors can do that fear break thing to get the interrupt as well. A friend's guild had the rogue use a PvP trinket to do it. Our best attempt was 30 on halfus and the stupid f***ing off tank missed their interrupt and wiped us.

P.S. tanks should blow defensives on the pull or risk getting gibbed, especialy as a paladin. Unblocked hit on the dragon while whelps are out is death.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Lanikai » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Love the idea of keeping Halfus from auto attacking at the start

Indeed dps storm first seems like a solid plan too

Cheers
Lanikai

Postby Belloc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:52 am

So, we finally got our kill last night and here's what we did:
Tanks: Feral Druid and Prot Warrior
DPS: Demo Warlock, Fire Mage, Frost DK, Somekindof Rogue
Healers: Holy Paladin, Holy Paladin, Resto Shaman, DISC PRIEST

Yup, the key to our kill was to 4 heal it. It immediately became obvious that adding a disc priest and subtracting a tank made things sooooo much easier. There were still a lot of tank gibs, but that's what you get when your never intended for your druid to be a tank.

So, anyway, we started the fight by releasing Storm Rider, Nether Scion, and Whelps. We had our rogue and DK focus-target interrupting the shadow nova (and since DKs currently have hit chance problems with their interrupt, our druid tank also helped on those ones).

We AOE'd down the whelps while single-target focused on Nether Scion (it seemed to do more melee damage). As soon as the whelps were dead or near-dead, I'd release the Time Warden.

As far as I'm aware, we had two drakes on our warrior at the start and Halfus on the druid. When the druid got too high on MS stacks, we used hand of protection on him (he had a macro to cancel it). When his stacks got to about 6, the other tank taunted Halfus. We had a second hand of protection prepared for that tank, as well. There was some drake swapping, I'm sure, and the druid always picked up Time Warden when it was released. I'm not really sure who had drakes aside from what I've already said. I don't think the Halfus tank ever had more than one drake, though, for obvious reasons.

And that was it... adding the disc priest made everything much, much easier. We never touched the Slate Drake and we beat the enrage by about 20 seconds.

Stupid fight is stupid, but at least it's more manageable when you bring a disc priest and 3 other healers.
Belloc

Postby Faro » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:56 am

Belloc wrote:So, we finally got our kill last night and here's what we did:
Tanks: Feral Druid and Prot Warrior
DPS: Demo Warlock, Fire Mage, Frost DK, Somekindof Rogue
Healers: Holy Paladin, Holy Paladin, Resto Shaman, DISC PRIEST

Yup, the key to our kill was to 4 heal it. It immediately became obvious that adding a disc priest and subtracting a tank made things sooooo much easier. There were still a lot of tank gibs, but that's what you get when your never intended for your druid to be a tank.

So, anyway, we started the fight by releasing Storm Rider, Nether Scion, and Whelps. We had our rogue and DK focus-target interrupting the shadow nova (and since DKs currently have hit chance problems with their interrupt, our druid tank also helped on those ones).

We AOE'd down the whelps while single-target focused on Nether Scion (it seemed to do more melee damage). As soon as the whelps were dead or near-dead, I'd release the Time Warden.

As far as I'm aware, we had two drakes on our warrior at the start and Halfus on the druid. When the druid got too high on MS stacks, we used hand of protection on him (he had a macro to cancel it). When his stacks got to about 6, the other tank taunted Halfus. We had a second hand of protection prepared for that tank, as well. There was some drake swapping, I'm sure, and the druid always picked up Time Warden when it was released. I'm not really sure who had drakes aside from what I've already said. I don't think the Halfus tank ever had more than one drake, though, for obvious reasons.

And that was it... adding the disc priest made everything much, much easier. We never touched the Slate Drake and we beat the enrage by about 20 seconds.

Stupid fight is stupid, but at least it's more manageable when you bring a disc priest and 3 other healers.

How was your uptime on Inspiration/Ancestral fort with a disc and a resto shaman (if you have a parse available of course)?

Were you healing this? I've had some questions about general tank damage intake on this fight that maybe you can help with good sir.

One thing I'm noticing after talking with some friends is that druids are pretty much godkings for this fight. High avoidance means less tank swaps, less tank swaps means less chance for error.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Belloc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:44 pm

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/t86fvv0jovc8019l/

That's our log for the night. I can't directly provide you with any of that information, but hopefully you can find it in here :D
Belloc

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)