Remove Advertisements

[25] Nefarian Add Kiting

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Nefarian Add Kiting

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:01 am

It sounds like you're doing everything right.

The damage from the adds isn't typically very "spiky". I like having at least one druid full time on me. I can definitely feel the difference with a stable series of HoT's than without. My health moves a TON. I feel like I'm close to dying a lot.

I think switch that disc priest over to Nef tank healing and throw a druid on you instead. Or add the druid along with everyone else already healing you. We take a tremendous amount of damage, the healers just need to find something that works.

Also, attitude matters. If your healers truly feel they can't do it, they've already defeated themselves and you're screwed.

They CAN do it.

Last but not least, make sure the healers assigned to healing you aren't trying to heal up the raid after a crackle until both tanks are stabilized. That's the mistake I think many healers make here...."Oh! Everyone took a ton of damage, I should use Holy Radiance now for massive heals. Oh Crap, the add tank died!"......."Why did the add tank die?"...."I don't know, I only missed on GCD, not sure what happened".

Feel free to tell your healers that I do get ROFLSTOMPED on occasion. It happens :) Holy Wrath can cause it if you're not too careful, as they will all swing after coming out of the stun, so try to avoid standing in range of them all after a stun wears off.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Thark » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks guys!

I think we run 2 Disc priests, so there's one on the MT, and one on me. With 7 healers (2 pal, 2 sham, 2-3priest, 0-1 druid), I'm not sure of the P3 breakdown, so I'd have to check and see if they can put 4 on me. I think our druid is mostly raid healing Crackle.

I rotate glyphed DP and the Mirror for crackles, so the rotation for cycles I use is AD, GOAK, Pain Suppression, AD, HoS depending a bit on which healers are on me.

Your right with the attitude part though, and that's what scares me. The entire rest of the raid wants to keep pushing this fight, but my 3 healers are all complaining that we can't do it and suffering from serious burnout because of it. It's causing me a major headache, and I've run out of ideas.

The only point I've seen that might make sense is that using Holy Wrath synchs up the swing timers. I'm seeing 10 hits in a second and a half, but with that many adds on me I can't it really varying much from that. They are going to be hitting me.

We've also switched to 2 P1 crackles, which hopefully helps them with mana with P3 being shorter. Our best attempt I got off 4 add resets before dying, and we still had 20% to go. We were either doing 0-1 crackle then.
Thark

Postby gomashon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:16 am

Checking our last kill, the adds reset 4 times in total during phase 3. the boss died 4 seconds after the 4th time they reset.

Probably your raid dps is too low, get a mutilate rogue to spec deadly brew and FOK cripple poison on the mind controlled people. he needs to apply it twice, once they are MCed, and again a few seconds later or the slow will not last long enough. With this level of slow your mind controlled people can reach 150 stacks easily and push insane dps. If the rogue gets controlled, he breaks it and applies the cripple to others. If in phase 1 people are not in range, hunter traps and other slows work, but not as good.

Stacks increase dps exponentially, that is if you manage to click that "buff" spell 11 times instead of 10, its a much larger dps increase than the increase to 5 from 4 clicks.

Another thing you can do is dot up Nef during p2, once you learn this phase its not very hard to do correct for 2 minutes or for 2.5 minutes...
You can start phase 3 with nef at 71% (and not 79%). Also i would put 4 healers on the add tank, 3 only on the raid and MT. healing the raid between crackles (which is the only damage they take) can be done slowly, with aoe heals. Doing that and keeping nef's tank up is something 3 healers can do without too much trouble. 4 healers on the add tank help make sure he won't die due to some healers getting MCed at bad times. Once we had 3 of these get MCed at the same time. The problem is if you were say casting your "big heal" (say divine light) which is about 2 second cast time, then 0.1 second before you get MCed and interrupted, then use up a GCD to break the MC (another 1.5 sec) then cast a new heal (another 2 second) this delays you heal by up to 5 seconds or so...
Group Therapy (Ravencrest-EU), 2 raid days per week, 8/8 25-Heroic, always recruiting.
gomashon

Postby Senador » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:04 am

We were having some issues with this as well. The video was incredibly helpful, because it showed a good point of how far you should move each reset. My biggest issue was that I would move too far, and you don’t really find that out until you’ve lapped the fire and are sitting there.

There is a lot of misinformation about how the offtank handles the adds in this fight. Too many think it’s actually kiting, and that they should be taking almost no damage at all, when in fact, they are actively tanking and moving constantly (Near the end, it becomes a 3 second tank, 2 second move, repeat) deal. Our healing officer actually stated that the tank “Can’t stand and tank those adds for a couple seconds” not realizing that’s exactly what they need to do. To split the damage some, they tried to have 2 tanks kiting adds together, but that’s a nightmare, as a handful of adds (Whichever are on the second tank) tend to be slightly out of the pile, a little too slow so get hit , or a little too fast and end up dropping the spark further up than I expect.

We’ve been doing practice with zero crackles at all in phase 1 or 2, and then trying to do all 9 crackles in phase 3, which results in a very long kite cycle; the problem is, that near collapse I tend to drop even with cool downs used. I have handled the adds up to about 2 minutes left on enrage, but the boss was still at over 50%, so I think it might be a DPS issue, as others are stating it should be like 4 resets which is about 3 and a half minutes; but with our current strat, we’re expecting a six to seven minute phase 3, almost dragging it right out to the enrage timer.

I also think practice with phase 3 is bad, because we’re still having major phase 2 issues. Missed interrupts, cinders exploding too close, etc which plague good attempts. In a four hour night, we might have hit phase 3 half a dozen times at most. More phase 3 practice will result in healers being more comfortable healing the offtank, and the DPS being able to churn out more DPS.
Senador

Postby inthedrops » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:36 pm

^^^ This fight sucks to learn as the add tank!

P3 is easy for everyone but the add tank. And it takes forever to get to that phase the first time. And all of a sudden every time you get there the add tank messes up and the raid gets pissed. "Maybe if we made it to phase 3 more than two times tonight I'd actually have a chance to learn it!!!" says the add tank :)

I remember when I hard to learn it. I know *what* to do. But I didn't realize how critical the timing was. It took me at least 4 attempts before all the trial and error finally made way to the proper timing. For me, we had a different tank that used to do it but he retired. So I was the tank that had to learn the phase from scratch even though we already had the kill many times over.

I feel your pain.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Senador » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Yeah, for practice, we eventually came in on an offnight, on 10 man normal, and they had me practice kiting adds and letting them drop until he enraged several times in a row to make sure I had the timing down and could keep it up for several minutes. I managed it several times, keeping the kite going till enrage, and the only real screw up was because the bored hunter was running around and turned on Pack and got me dazed with the adds at sub 10 energy and me trying to recover the mess...

So in we go to phase 3 the next night on heroic, I gather all the adds, they are about 3 seconds from despawning, I drop dead, and then the adds collapse in a neat pile, and the DPS complaining on the tank failing...
Senador

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)