Remove Advertisements

[10] Cho'gall -- Normal Strategy

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Cho'gall -- Normal Strategy

Postby Epimer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:46 am

maurok wrote:do you guys keep killing the tentacles all the way to the end of the fight?

Yes, because this makes it unproductive to ignore adds and burn the boss for the last few percent.

Our P2 problems stemmed from people taking "everyone immediately focus on interrupting and killing the adds as your absolute top priority. No exceptions" to mean "...but of course they can't be referring to me, since my class loses so much DPS from target switching."
Epimer

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:49 am

If you're two healing it and severely struggling to stay alive in P2, perhaps you need three healers.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby maurok » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:52 am

we were 3 healing, but then we'd have problems with the small adds
maurok

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:57 am

Are your healers oom when they hit P2? Our resto druid commented that he was damn glad he went into P2 with 50% mana because he only had 2% by the time we killed it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby maurok » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06 am

I'd say they have about 40~50% mana when he hit p2
maurok

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:56 pm

In ph2, we usually kill a few rounds of tentacles, then near 2M health we pop hero and nuke him. Sometimes it gets a little rough, so I could see downing another set or continuing to interupt them at least, but we get him down.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Belloc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Hrobertgar wrote:In ph2, we usually kill a few rounds of tentacles, then near 2M health we pop hero and nuke him. Sometimes it gets a little rough, so I could see downing another set or continuing to interupt them at least, but we get him down.

IMO, if the boss is at 4% or less and everyone is alive, you can ignore the tentacles. Otherwise, it's always a good idea to keep killing them.
Belloc

Postby Chicken » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:54 pm

I'd personally recommend popping Bloodlust a bit earlier rather than later. Later Bloodlust does help the healing a bit, but at 25% Cho'gall gives you this nice pause where he's absorbing the blood of the old god to trigger the next phase of the fight. That's a good time to have Bloodlust up, as high damage there allows you to shorten the final phase.
Chicken

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Also dispels. In 25m we have one healer who spends almost every single GCD he has on dispelling. In 10m you'll want anyone who can get rid of a debuff getting rid of it -- have the healers coordinate who will be focusing on what. If your DPS can help out, it's worth the gcd.

If everyone plays really well, everyone is going to hit 25% at the same time, which can spike damage like mad.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby maurok » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks for the tips guys, we got our kill last night, and must say that having the tanks save the big CDs as well as the raid healing CDs from dpsers (moonkin's Tranquil and SPriest Divine hymn) helped a lot! I hope heroic halfus won't take as long as cho'gall did :P
maurok

Postby domipal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:21 pm

So our guild is working to kill cho'gall right now, and we are currently 3 healing it. I asked our healers if they can 2 heal it and they said that it's not possible for them (using 2 resto druid, 1 holy pally). Is it much easier to 2 heal it and have 6 dps? Or should we just keep trying to get him down with 3 heals and 5 dps? We are getting to about 35% right now using this set up..
domipal

Postby maurok » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 pm

domipal wrote:So our guild is working to kill cho'gall right now, and we are currently 3 healing it. I asked our healers if they can 2 heal it and they said that it's not possible for them (using 2 resto druid, 1 holy pally). Is it much easier to 2 heal it and have 6 dps? Or should we just keep trying to get him down with 3 heals and 5 dps? We are getting to about 35% right now using this set up..

I think it depends on the strengh/weakness of your group.
we were having a lot of trouble dealing with the small adds, adding another ranged dps not only made our life easier with that, but we also changed to p2 before the 4th festering blood (avoiding the 20 adds wave).
we had to rotate CDs on p2 and it was VERY tight healing-wise, but we managed to kill him being a very casual raid group (6hrs/week).

another thing to be considered, moonkins are awesome for this fight... wild mushrooms+starfall+glyphed hurricane+ typhoon make much simpler to deal with the adds
maurok

Postby Ezelyn » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:25 am

domipal wrote:So our guild is working to kill cho'gall right now, and we are currently 3 healing it. I asked our healers if they can 2 heal it and they said that it's not possible for them (using 2 resto druid, 1 holy pally). Is it much easier to 2 heal it and have 6 dps? Or should we just keep trying to get him down with 3 heals and 5 dps? We are getting to about 35% right now using this set up..

Hi, can you describe all your group with their specs ?
As maurok said, this fight can totally work in a 3 healers strat or in a 2 healers strat.

when you wipe at 35%, what's the problem ? healers are oom ? too much people with hight debuff ? too many adds running everywhere ? did you passed the 20adds wave ?
Ezelyn

Postby Aerron » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:26 am

We killed it last night with 5 dps, 3 healers. Four of our dps were pushing about 15k dps, the 5th was coming in somewhat less than that. If your dps can put up ~12-14k each, you can go with 3 healers. If they're having trouble pushing that, you might want to switch one healer for a dps.

Our 3 healers seemed to think that 2 healing it wouldn't be a problem. The biggest issue was making sure people didn't take unnecessary damage (ie, stand in Blazes, hit by corrupting crash, etc) which they shouldn't be doing anyway.

On the other hand, it took them a number of attempts to become comfortable and familiar enough with the fight to come to this conclusion. Before that, they were very skittish about doing so. It may just come down to you needing to do a full more pulls until they learn the rythym of the damage.
Aerron

Postby domipal » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:34 am

Ezelyn wrote:

Hi, can you describe all your group with their specs ?
As maurok said, this fight can totally work in a 3 healers strat or in a 2 healers strat.

when you wipe at 35%, what's the problem ? healers are oom ? too much people with hight debuff ? too many adds running everywhere ? did you passed the 20adds wave ?

Prot Warrior
Prot Paladin

Resto Druid x 2
Holy Paladin

Fire Mage
Surv Hunter
Enh Shaman
Fury Warrior
Mut Rogue

I believe that our problem is the dps is too low. We were able to push him into P2 once last night, but that was with a 5th set of adds, so no way we were going to kill him before enrage. We were wiping due to raid damage/tanks getting gibbed to worship buff. Since we are a melee heavy group, we have our fury warrior stay on the boss until the 4th set of adds come out, and the rest of the time the shaman and rogue are helping with adds, aoeing. We have amazing healers, but even they don't think we can 2 heal it. What I believe is happening is we are failing too much to shadow crashes, and the melee are getting hit by the little adds. Often times when we wipe half the raid is above 30 corruption, with the rogue often being at 70-80. What is an acceptable level of corruption when heading into p2? Also I have suggested that, since we are not 2 healing it, we burn hero right after the 4th add phase to push him into P2 without another add. Would that be a good idea? Or would it be better to save it?

Usually our dps is pretty good, between 15 and 18k on most fights, although I feel they could perform better dps wise (I'm topping meters whenever I go ret for single tank fights)
domipal

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)