[10] Cho'gall -- Normal Strategy

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Cho'gall -- Normal Strategy

Postby Belloc » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 am

Vlad wrote:1. Stacking puddles at the very top of stairs/on the stairs. on top of one another. this was successful in making the adds be together but I got a lot of corruption from being in the puddle.

You can do this without standing in the puddles. Simply tank the adds behind the first puddle and have your Cho'gall tank taunt the add right before it dies. You can ping-pong it by taunting it back. It requires timing, but the add will die in the puddle, just maybe not in the center.
Belloc

Postby frontallobe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:02 am

We had a bunch of problems with adds tonight. I was hoping to get some clarification on things.

1. Hunter trap didn't seem to slow the adds much (if any?)
2. What other techniques are you guys using to slow the adds
3. If melee touches adds do they get corruption? We've been keeping them at bay assuming this to be true but now I see a ton of melee heavy groups making this happen.

Thanks in advance,
J
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby frontallobe » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 am

We put in 13 attempts last night and I have some answers to my questions I figured I would post for people who are still working on him.

-- slow does work they are just uber fast. The hunter specced for 4s stun on his traps and it made a huge difference.
2. What other techniques are you guys using to slow the adds -- we had the third healer switch to elemental shammy with the knockback and that made a huge difference.
3. If melee touches adds do they get corruption? We've been keeping them at bay assuming this to be true but now I see a ton of melee heavy groups making this happen. -- we sent in melee after a few seconds of the ranged nuking them to ensure they didn't get aggro.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby VikrumthePally » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:45 am

frontallobe wrote:We put in 13 attempts last night and I have some answers to my questions I figured I would post for people who are still working on him.

-- slow does work they are just uber fast. The hunter specced for 4s stun on his traps and it made a huge difference.
2. What other techniques are you guys using to slow the adds -- we had the third healer switch to elemental shammy with the knockback and that made a huge difference.
3. If melee touches adds do they get corruption? We've been keeping them at bay assuming this to be true but now I see a ton of melee heavy groups making this happen. -- we sent in melee after a few seconds of the ranged nuking them to ensure they didn't get aggro.

Our first few kills on this fight we did not have a hunter. I can tell you for certain the traps do help. I don't know much about hunters but we use the one that is a big patch of ice on the ground. Frost trap?

I do very vividly remember out hunter complaining saying it was hard to get the adds to trigger it, but it does work.

As far as the knockbacks, ele shaman, balance druid, and I believe a warlock pet can do it as well. We are fortunate to have a balance druid + the hunter trap, and that seems to take care of it just fine.

We do not use ANY (2 tanks, 1 dk, 1 enh shaman) melee dmg on the adds.

Good luck.
VikrumthePally

Postby Hrobertgar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:57 am

For the group I heal, we downed Cho'gall with the following:

The add tank was able to group the adds tight on the stairs in the back of the room (I was healing at boss so I could not see exactly how this was done). Hunter dropped a trap at the bottom of the stairs, and the adds' tight grouping forced them all over it most of the time. Our shammy dropped a slow totem halfway between the hunter trap and the add. We also had 1 knockback, but we tried to save it as a last resort as it tends to spread the adds out and decrease the efficiency of AOE, and it an also allow them to escape the hunter trap.

We had our ret pally go heals, and our resto shammy go elemental, giving us 4 ranged dps and 1 melee while retaining 3 heals. The adds went down quite steadilly. Also, the bear tank would go AOE on the adds when they got low (careful not to draw aggro on any), but only for the 3rd and 4th add phases. We are pretty close to starting ph2 prior to the 4th fester blood.

For the group I tank, I'm still not able to get the adds as tightly grouped on teh stairs as the other tank, and we only have 3 ranged, but we are getting close.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Our Cho10 kill we wiped for a few hours with 2pal 1 druid healing. Swapped the druid to his hunter and killed him on the next pull, with only 3 adds. It's something to consider, if you are getting overwhelmed by the 4th set of adds.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Poclain » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:06 am

Hi,

I have a question about the debuffs on the tank.

When is Cho'gall applying his debuffs (this and that) on the tank?
I think I missunterstood the boss-guides. I seem to receive both debuffs on the same time, and not when he sucks up the elementals. Is this right? So, when does he exactly apply the buffs on me?
Pocladin@EU Gilneas
English is hard ...
Poclain

Postby Maelsstrom » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:35 am

^ They are from Fury of Cho'gall.
Maelsstrom - Paladin - Lightbringer
Fluffy Bunnies of Doom
Maelsstrom

Postby Shathus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:27 am

After about 10+ attempts or so on Cho'gall, we seem to understand the concepts of the fight, but execution, particularly dealing with the adds seems to be our downfall. IMO the Corrupting Adherent is not dying fast enough. Often just seconds before Festering Blood which means our DPS are out of position to burn down the slimes, plus my co-tank still has to run back across the room to taunt off my during Fury of Cho'gall.

I have all the DPS going to kill the add (2 melee and 3 ranged). First thought would be 'is our DPS just too low?' but I can't imagine that's the problem as it's never been an issue on other fights. Looking back over the logs, it seems like in some cases, DPS aren't switching targets for 4-8+ seconds after the add has been picked up by the tank. Granted, it's often the melee that are lacking as they have to move to it, or sometimes an ill-timed conversion gets a few MC'ed at the start.

Some issues for the later ones as well seem to be that the add spawns, but he hasn't yet casted Fury of Cho'gall, so we haven't swapped, and I think that's delaying the start of dps.

Also think I want our lock to switch back to Demo to help burn the slimes down when we get 15/20 of em. That was just ugly last night.

We've reached phase 2 once (barely). The 5th add had spawned, but we were able to push him over 25% shortly after so no Festering Blood.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:54 am

Shathus wrote:I have all the DPS going to kill the add (2 melee and 3 ranged).

Drop a healer, add a DPS. It helps with pretty much every bottleneck aspect of the fight, and it's not too rough on the healers once they get used to the amount of tank damage going out.
Epimer

Postby Shathus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:04 am

Epimer wrote:
Shathus wrote:I have all the DPS going to kill the add (2 melee and 3 ranged).

Drop a healer, add a DPS. It helps with pretty much every bottleneck aspect of the fight, and it's not too rough on the healers once they get used to the amount of tank damage going out.

6th DPS would be swapping our resto shaman to a more undergeared enhancement set (think he did 11k or so on Magmaw this week). Other option would be switching Holy Priest to shadow, though she is our top healer. Suppose can give it a try
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Arianne » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Consider revising where you are positioning him and where you are killing the adds (there seems to be a lot of unnecessary movement from what you've said). We position him on one of the add spawn points which allows our melee to immediately swap (tank subsequently drags him near the door and people group up there for the adds, then move back). Additionally, you can transition to phase 2 with a corrupter up and he'll 'absorb' the add, but you won't get another old blood phase.
Arianne

Postby fudomyou » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:39 pm

I'd like to thank the MTadin community for their tips in this thread - we were running into huge problems with the 4th Fester Blood, so we went to 2/2/6 and made it to phase 2 consistently. Then we pulled him against a wall and one Avenger's Shield smacked 2 Debilitating Beams at once. Cho'gall down, finally!
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Nothan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:56 pm

If you have a hunter who has a survival spec, tell them to spec into entrapment, then trap launch a frost trap on one side, then a snake trap on the other side to try and root as many bloods as possible on spawn. If the pools are placed well, you can hold all of them in place in a nice line and could potentially get off another set of traps if they are too close if you don't kill them before the traps cooldown. I do this every week and the adds never make it near the raid.
Nothan

Postby maurok » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:24 am

MM Hunter can also spec into that, and it helps a lot.

My group is still couldn't kill him... we kill all other bosses in 1shot, but we keep wiping on chogall's p2 =[

any tips for p2?

- We are bringing him to the throne to make the tentacles spawn closer
- We try to kill/interrupt adds as fast as possible
- We are saving the CD's for last phase (tranquility, Divine hymn/guardian, etc...)
- The players have between 0 to 30 corruption when we get to p2

our raid com is

- Pala and War Tanks (I start tanking and I get the adds)
- Pala, Shammy Heals
- SPriest,Fire Mage,MM Hunter, Moonkin for rangeds
- Rogue, Ret Melees

we have a Frost DK (with chillblains for this fight) as a replace, but he doesn't play very well, sometimes (as yesterday) the pala holy was sick and we had the DK on the raid, and the priest went disc (it was actually our best try, we left him with 6%)

any tips/suggestions? do you guys keep killing the tentacles all the way to the end of the fight?

Thanks
maurok

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)