Remove Advertisements

[10] Nefarian - Phase 3 Issues

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Nefarian - Phase 3 Issues

Postby Arianne » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 am

We're getting uneven activation of the adds at the start of phase 3, even when they're pretty tightly grouped. Do you just hang around until all of them activate and then start kiting?

What direction do you have Nef facing at the start of phase 3? We've been having our add stack on the north side, but then tanking Nef facing south, which means that his tail is near the add stack (which sometimes gets us tail lashed while waiting for the adds to spawn or just after spawn). This seems inadvisable, but I'm not sure what direction would be better?
Arianne

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Belloc wrote:
Pyrea wrote:Can you freeze them with ring of frost?

You probably can, but locking them in place is typically a bad thing, as they are almost guaranteed to get hit by the fire/meteors (which restores their "health" to full and breaks all CC). You want them to be kited long enough that they die.

Locking them in place is, generally speaking, an emergency thing, only for use when the fight is almost over or as a really crazy last resort to prevent kiter death.

No, for whatever reason you cannot cast Ring of Frost on Nef's platform.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Belloc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:09 pm

PsiVen wrote:
Belloc wrote:
Pyrea wrote:Can you freeze them with ring of frost?

You probably can, but locking them in place is typically a bad thing, as they are almost guaranteed to get hit by the fire/meteors (which restores their "health" to full and breaks all CC). You want them to be kited long enough that they die.

Locking them in place is, generally speaking, an emergency thing, only for use when the fight is almost over or as a really crazy last resort to prevent kiter death.

Good, now if only they'd do the same for battlegrounds.

On-topic: You also can't use Demonic Circle anywhere in the combat area.
Belloc

Postby Chicken » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Belloc wrote:
PsiVen wrote:
Belloc wrote:You probably can, but locking them in place is typically a bad thing, as they are almost guaranteed to get hit by the fire/meteors (which restores their "health" to full and breaks all CC). You want them to be kited long enough that they die.

Good, now if only they'd do the same for battlegrounds.

On-topic: You also can't use Demonic Circle anywhere in the combat area.
Neither spell can be cast on what is defined as a 'moving platform'. Try it sometimes on a boat, zeppelin or elevator. Unfortunately due to the nature of the arena the Nefarian fight takes place in, the entire area is one big 'moving platform' essentially.
Chicken

Postby Ulrik » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Indeed, if you look at the adds during P2 you'll see that they appear to start floating. That's because it's the floor that submerges, not the lava that rises.

From watching some videos I finally figured out what was happening with the shadow bolts. The separation in cast times decreases with each one by five seconds until the separation is 10 on each.

Zero being the cast of the first bolt the timing works like this:
0:00
0:30 (30 sec seperation)
0:55 (25 sec)
1:15 (20 sec)
1:30 (15 sec)
1:40 (10 sec)
1:50 (10)
2:00 (10)
etc

I just open up the in game stopwatch and hit "/sw reset /sw play" macro on the first bolt. This timing lets you better know when it is a safe time to pause, stun, or run to keep them out of fire and cycling up/down. Obviously once you get into 2+ min it gets harder to have a clean path and safe stun times.
Ulrik

Postby ashnod » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:47 pm

My guild has only made it to phase 3 a few times, and each time a different tank has kited. The other tanks kited with help from a mage snaring and a shaman dropping earthbind, which ended up being an RNG kite fest and the tank eventually dies with Nef at under 10% health. My guild seems to think this is the only way to handle adds in P3 until I mentioned indefinitely kiting them and not letting the mage or shaman worry about adds and just have them focus DPS on Nefarian.

In phase 1 we have the DPS CC adds, and the adds deactivate in random places in the middle of the room. This means that the adds are activated 1 or 2 at a time in phase 3. The tank on Nefarian complains about fire in the middle and has to end up moving Nef. So the first 3-4 shadowblazes landing in the middle is what's causing the fire problems, yes? Is that manageable or should deactivating the adds in random places in the middle in phase 1 something we must avoid?
ashnod

Postby 99sitr » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 pm

ashnod wrote:My guild has only made it to phase 3 a few times, and each time a different tank has kited. The other tanks kited with help from a mage snaring and a shaman dropping earthbind, which ended up being an RNG kite fest and the tank eventually dies with Nef at under 10% health. My guild seems to think this is the only way to handle adds in P3 until I mentioned indefinitely kiting them and not letting the mage or shaman worry about adds and just have them focus DPS on Nefarian.

In phase 1 we have the DPS CC adds, and the adds deactivate in random places in the middle of the room. This means that the adds are activated 1 or 2 at a time in phase 3. The tank on Nefarian complains about fire in the middle and has to end up moving Nef. So the first 3-4 shadowblazes landing in the middle is what's causing the fire problems, yes? Is that manageable or should deactivating the adds in random places in the middle in phase 1 something we must avoid?

You are raiding 10man I am guessing since this is a 10man thread? When we do this fight I kite the adds in phase 3 and we have the dps pile them up in phase 1 about 10-15y away from Nef (right on the line where the floor changes from the inner circle to the outer circle). We have a rogue FoK in P1 to pick up the adds with a priest healing him and we have a mage RoF them when he gets them in position to where we want them to die. I am unable to see most of this as I tank Ony for P1 and I am almost always turning Ony for her discharge when they are placing them into position. More often than not though there is 1 or 2 adds that are not in range of the first shadowblaze missile and I will just tank the adds standing near the unactivated ones until they become active. Getting them grouped closely in P1 needs to be something that you all focus on as it will increase your time to live somewhat in P3. Placing them farther from Nef will also alleviate the problem you are having with fire getting on the DPS in melee range of Nef. We tank him in the middle of the room and I kite on the outer circle, which allows the fire to despawn by the time I have made it back to where I started.

Also another bit of advice. When we do this fight we take 2 crackles in P1, and we have Nef fly up in P2 with 71%HP. Once everyone is healed up on their platforms we push a crackle (I use Divine Guardian for this one) and our ranged start pushing him to 60%. During this time 2 of our platforms kill their add and we use the one on my platform to keep the phase active until we push the 2nd crackle in P2 at 60%. Our DPS tries to get Nef as close to 50% as possible before the timer on P2 runs out or we kill our add. The majority of the time we have him at about 51%-53% going into P3 which shaves valuable time off for that phase.

If you must have CC on the adds in P3 make sure you do it in the 1st or 2nd shadowblaze where you can get the most use out of it without getting the skeletons re-energized by shadowblaze. Just pull them far enough away from the spreading fire and have your mage RoF them and just keep them there with an eye on the Shadowblaze CD and an eye on the encroaching fire, if either one are coming up just move in there and HotR them and backpeddle a little.

Hope this helps you a little. I personally don't prefer to use mage CC on the adds but thats just me.
99sitr

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)