Remove Advertisements

[10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Postby Aerron » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:03 am

From this thread, I guess my guild just does this a completely different way.

We have everyone stand on each other in melee range, except for one hunter who stands out at range, and the tank who starts a bit away from the group. This ensures the hunter always gets the pillar of flame and just drops his trap and runs out. Ranged dps then switches to adds.

We also single tank it, don't worry about tanking the adds as they're dead long before they get to the raid. Our OT switches to his DPS spec for this fight.

We've done it this way with either a Paladin or Warrior as MT.
Aerron

Postby Marilee » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:16 am

Aerron wrote:From this thread, I guess my guild just does this a completely different way.

We have everyone stand on each other in melee range, except for one hunter who stands out at range, and the tank who starts a bit away from the group. This ensures the hunter always gets the pillar of flame and just drops his trap and runs out. Ranged dps then switches to adds.

We also single tank it, don't worry about tanking the adds as they're dead long before they get to the raid. Our OT switches to his DPS spec for this fight.

We've done it this way with either a Paladin or Warrior as MT.

No, that's the normal way to do it. The OT on the adds is an alternative strategy. :) You're doing it the normal way that most guilds do it.

Which strategy is superior entirely depends on your raid makeup and, if your guild is at all less than hardcore, which classes are your more skilled players. :) If you are doing it the normal way (hunter out, ranged killing kited adds) then there is no reason to try OTing the adds... because you are already killing Magmaw.
Marilee

Postby Aerron » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm

Whew, for a minute I thought my whole guild was taking crazy pills :D Or maybe, more crazy pills ...
Aerron

Postby Kaory » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 am

I cant figure out are u discussing normal or heroic. :?
Kaory

Postby Belloc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:11 am

Kaory wrote:I cant figure out are u discussing normal or heroic. :?

This discussion is about normal mode. There hasn't been a single heroic 10-man Magmaw kill yet (despite what guildox says about the korean guild "Addict").
Belloc

Postby Poclain » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:55 am

Hi,

Tanked magmaw yesterday in 25 for the first time.

When he chewed me up, couldn't target the head to build HoPo and WoG myself.
From the previous posts, I was assuming that this is possible. I could only Judge and AS the Boss.

Am I doing something wrong?
Pocladin@EU Gilneas
English is hard ...
Poclain

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:25 am

Poclain wrote:Hi,

Tanked magmaw yesterday in 25 for the first time.

When he chewed me up, couldn't target the head to build HoPo and WoG myself.
From the previous posts, I was assuming that this is possible. I could only Judge and AS the Boss.

Am I doing something wrong?

I tab target to a valid in-melee-range enemy; I believe it's the "exposed head." Clicking still selects the ginormous hitbox of the main body, I think. What did you try?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Poclain » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:30 am

Darn ... I tried clicking, since I hotkeyed my TAB-Button with something else ...

Guess I need to change that ...

Maybe I was all the time on the wrong target. Silly me.
Pocladin@EU Gilneas
English is hard ...
Poclain

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:38 am

I've only done this fight on my Enhance Shaman, and have found that Magmaw loves to smash my face into the floor as soon as he comes back up after the head phase. I've died twice on every kill so far. Even when I back off a little and don't re-target him after the head goes up he still manages to one shot me with a melee hit within a second or two. The heck is up with that?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Belloc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:09 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I've only done this fight on my Enhance Shaman, and have found that Magmaw loves to smash my face into the floor as soon as he comes back up after the head phase. I've died twice on every kill so far. Even when I back off a little and don't re-target him after the head goes up he still manages to one shot me with a melee hit within a second or two. The heck is up with that?

The tank needs to taunt before you get meleed. Or, better yet, your other tank (assuming you're using two) needs to taunt some time before the mangle so that he's the one getting meleed instead of you.
Belloc

Postby Astronii » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 am

Ok so magmaw normal. my guild never has issues until last night when going into the burn his head phase we chained as normal then when he was about to drop down for some nukage he decided to go limbo and fell the wrong way lol. has anyone else experienced this? had some lols though was pretty funny. although couldnt dps him as he was los but seriously he fell the opposite way. epic.
Astronii

Postby Belloc » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:27 am

Yeah, the backwards impale is a somewhat common bug, from what I'm hearing. We've seen it once, but I see people talking about it all the time. Was pretty funny :P
Belloc

Postby JavsAddiction » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:15 am

Belloc wrote:The tank needs to taunt before you get meleed. Or, better yet, your other tank (assuming you're using two) needs to taunt some time before the mangle so that he's the one getting meleed instead of you.

I've been tanking this fight for several weeks now, and we score the kill (4xs so far). But have issues with this phase. I've tried taunting as he lifts his head followed by avenger shield, I've tried divine plea with a SotR and dropping consecration, but he seems to one shot a healer every other time. I'm wondering if I'm timing this properly or not...

After the burn phase, when does the threat table reset?

This seems to be the only issue I'm having in this fight at this point, the rest feels like cake. Any advice?
JavsAddiction

Postby baleogthefierce » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:43 am

JavsAddiction wrote:After the burn phase, when does the threat table reset?

This seems to be the only issue I'm having in this fight at this point, the rest feels like cake. Any advice?

The threat reset occurs before the burn phase at the moment the tank is first mangled. Do a quick tank swap at some point before that and you'll never have problems.
baleogthefierce

Postby Brutalus » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:41 am

Or just have your offtank taunt the boss while he's casting the ground smash. Or if you're solotanking it just taunt the boss while you're mangled and before the head phase starts.
Brutalus

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)