[10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Postby Dashdar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:23 am

Winkle wrote:TBH with those kinds of numbers you'd just be better off having an OT look after them. Our OT managed 26k DPS just aoe tanking the adds down on his own, rest of the dps just stay on the boss.

Well most people in our guild are just getting to item level 340 (only 2 of us are over 350), so I'm not thinking numbers like 26k are really doable. But we can give that a try, does it not become overwhelming with the re-spawns from infection?
Dashdar

Postby Shathus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 am

Our initial strat was to have everyone but the hunter in melee, and she would lay the ice trap, and kite them, etc. The problem was that some of the ranged would pull aggro on the adds, which would split them up causing us to lose dps since not all were getting hit.

We switched to having all ranged dps group up and when the pillar hits all move together. This ensured that the adds would all move together towards the ranged pile and we got him down using that.

Though I'm interested to hear about the OT holding aggro in regards to the worm respawns.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Dashdar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:58 am

Shathus wrote:Our initial strat was to have everyone but the hunter in melee, and she would lay the ice trap, and kite them, etc. The problem was that some of the ranged would pull aggro on the adds, which would split them up causing us to lose dps since not all were getting hit.

We switched to having all ranged dps group up and when the pillar hits all move together. This ensured that the adds would all move together towards the ranged pile and we got him down using that.

Though I'm interested to hear about the OT holding aggro in regards to the worm respawns.

I think our hunter is going to try using a Turtle pet to get the adds to stay closer together longer (pets can not be infected right?). We tried the moving together at first, and that ended in a lot of fail from people getting hit by pillar, not moving far enough, not seeing pillar graphics....
Dashdar

Postby Siral » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:53 am

Any paladin here tanked the adds in this fight?

How hard hit parasites?

We normally kill Magmaw with hunter kiting, but our huntard is off for about a month and we are trying new strategy.

A log of the fight will be really appreciated :D
Siral

Postby Finkum » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 pm

As I posted earlier, it's very simple to just tank the adds (in 10man at least) - in my last kill I took ~8k eDPS over the course of the fight, the majority of which is fire damage (you will definitely want to be running resist aura or equivalent). Melee damage from the adds is trivial (~20% of the damage I took, less than that taken from Magma Spit).

By comparison the MT took ~9k eDPS and had the armor debuff for ~2/3 of the fight.

Although this approach does require more healing than doing the fight "as intended", you pay big dividends in that 9 out of 10 raid members can ignore adds completely and pretend they are fighting Patchwerk. If you have weak/few ranged, and stronger heals/tanks, I would definitely recommend doing it this way.

And as requested, a log of our most recent kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1qvb5njbzni4jxx6/?s=304&e=674
Finkum

Postby Dashdar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:53 am

Finkum wrote:As I posted earlier, it's very simple to just tank the adds (in 10man at least) - in my last kill I took ~8k eDPS over the course of the fight, the majority of which is fire damage (you will definitely want to be running resist aura or equivalent). Melee damage from the adds is trivial (~20% of the damage I took, less than that taken from Magma Spit).

By comparison the MT took ~9k eDPS and had the armor debuff for ~2/3 of the fight.

Although this approach does require more healing than doing the fight "as intended", you pay big dividends in that 9 out of 10 raid members can ignore adds completely and pretend they are fighting Patchwerk. If you have weak/few ranged, and stronger heals/tanks, I would definitely recommend doing it this way.

And as requested, a log of our most recent kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1qvb5njbzni4jxx6/?s=304&e=674

Ah thanks, that's a lot of help. We should be trying Magmaw tonight so I hope to put some of this advice to good use.
Dashdar

Postby Marilee » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Dashdar wrote:
Finkum wrote:As I posted earlier, it's very simple to just tank the adds (in 10man at least) - in my last kill I took ~8k eDPS over the course of the fight, the majority of which is fire damage (you will definitely want to be running resist aura or equivalent). Melee damage from the adds is trivial (~20% of the damage I took, less than that taken from Magma Spit).

Ah thanks, that's a lot of help. We should be trying Magmaw tonight so I hope to put some of this advice to good use.

Tanked the parasites tonight for our first Magmaw kill on 10. As you can see, I actually took a decent amount of damage, but the healers said it was pretty smooth and thus pretty easy to heal (they were actually surprised at the amount of damage I took when we looked at the logs later... said it didn't "feel" like as much as it was). I did suck and get hit by one flame pillar. :)

Anyway, you can use all your holy power to heal yourself since you don't need to SotR and you don't really need Inquisition for aggro on the buggers. Just keep HOTRing away. Was good to have the hunter AOEing the adds with me (from his spot in melee range)... lessened the time a bunch were up to do more damage to me. Also brought them over to the head during the head down part to get my licks in on Magmaw himself. Since you are constantly infected using this strategy, you basically always have at least one parasite alive. The trick is to get them down to a small number every time a new group spawns. Used my cooldowns mostly right after grabbing a new bunch.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/bzh5xf3hmjvhckir/dashboard/?s=2879&e=3296

Video up from my POV by Friday morning. Search for Theoretical Novelty Magmaw or something like that and it'll come up. Please do not make fun of my lame-o UI. :)
EDIT: here you go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPZ66LrMopo

All that being said, I think a warrior tank, if your partner happens to be a warrior, is the best for this job. A warrior can practically heal himself due to the fact that the parasites count as critters that give "XP or honor" and thus trigger Victory Rush. Glyphed, Victory Rush will heal the warrior tank for over 50,000 per use, and parasites are dying left and right the entire time. (My screen was filling up with KILLING BLOW!) If you are a warrior the healers can ignore you for most of the fight. My partner is a drood bare, though, so I was on Parasite duty. :)
Last edited by Marilee on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marilee

Postby Finkum » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:04 pm

Marilee wrote:All that being said, I think a warrior tank, if your partner happens to be a warrior, is the best for this job. A warrior can practically heal himself due to the fact that the parasites count as critters that give "XP or honor" and thus trigger Victory Rush. Glyphed, Victory Rush will heal the warrior tank for over 50,000 per use, and parasites are dying left and right the entire time. (My screen was filling up with KILLING BLOW!) If you are a warrior the healers can ignore you for most of the fight. My partner is a drood bare, though, so I was on Parasite duty. :)

That's true to an extent, but there are significant portions of the fight where I'm not killing any adds and will need external healing. Because of the vulnerability phases, there are often long stretches where just 2 - 3 adds are jumping in and out of me constantly, and I won't be killing any to proc Victory Rush.

Although I'd have to compare some logs to be sure, I'm guessing it's pretty much a tie between the consistent moderate self-healing of WoG + SoI and the burstier, more powerful healing of VR.
Finkum

Postby Marilee » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:58 pm

Finkum wrote:
Marilee wrote:All that being said, I think a warrior tank, if your partner happens to be a warrior, is the best for this job. A warrior can practically heal himself due to the fact that the parasites count as critters that give "XP or honor" and thus trigger Victory Rush. Glyphed, Victory Rush will heal the warrior tank for over 50,000 per use, and parasites are dying left and right the entire time. (My screen was filling up with KILLING BLOW!) If you are a warrior the healers can ignore you for most of the fight. My partner is a drood bare, though, so I was on Parasite duty. :)

That's true to an extent, but there are significant portions of the fight where I'm not killing any adds and will need external healing. Because of the vulnerability phases, there are often long stretches where just 2 - 3 adds are jumping in and out of me constantly, and I won't be killing any to proc Victory Rush.

Although I'd have to compare some logs to be sure, I'm guessing it's pretty much a tie between the consistent moderate self-healing of WoG + SoI and the burstier, more powerful healing of VR.

I did like 27% of my own healing with WoG I believe. Several additional % with the overheal shield from WoG as well.
Marilee

Postby Dashdar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah my OT was a warrior last night and he had no problem with the worms and pulled over 20kDPS

Here is the report: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-x5og9tu69uzt394a/

We need to work on our healers. We were able to get him down to 50% but I don't think they were quite ready for hte damage I was going to take with the 50% debuff when I was eaten for the second time...but I think the DPS is where it needs to be.
Dashdar

Postby Marilee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Dashdar wrote:

Yeah my OT was a warrior last night and he had no problem with the worms and pulled over 20kDPS

Here is the report: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-x5og9tu69uzt394a/

We need to work on our healers. We were able to get him down to 50% but I don't think they were quite ready for hte damage I was going to take with the 50% debuff when I was eaten for the second time...but I think the DPS is where it needs to be.

You could switch tanks after every Mangle phase. Having the tank with the debuff tank the parasites shouldn't be as big of a problem for the healers. And as you can see from my log, turns out WoG is just as helpful for healing yourself as the parasite tank as Victory Rush is.

Anyway, if your healers' problem is keeping the Magmaw tank up with the armor debuff, try rotating the tanks' jobs throughout the fight.
Marilee

Postby Finkum » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Marilee wrote:You could switch tanks after every Mangle phase. Having the tank with the debuff tank the parasites shouldn't be as big of a problem for the healers. And as you can see from my log, turns out WoG is just as helpful for healing yourself as the parasite tank as Victory Rush is.

Anyway, if your healers' problem is keeping the Magmaw tank up with the armor debuff, try rotating the tanks' jobs throughout the fight.

This is tricky to do in practice because the add tank will almost certainly have 1 - 2 adds still jumping in and out of him when it's time for the tank transition. While it wouldn't be too hard to keep aggro on these 2ish adds while tanking the boss, you are trading the 50% reduced armor debuff for 2x as many infections (as both tanks will now regularly have 2+ infections each). While tanking the boss you'd also have to be careful not to get too close to the melee/ranged, because of the friendly fire you do when you vomit an add out. And finally, when the add tank gets mangled and eaten, who knows where the adds will spawn and whether you can pick them up again in time.

I suppose what you could do is have the mangled tank run out during the down phase and taunt the adds as they jump out of the add tank, but depending on timing this could be a bit tight, and would be easy to mess up.

I'm more inclined to suggest that you cycle through tank cooldowns, on-use trinkets, and healer cooldowns to reduce the MT's incoming damage. Magmaw spends a good chunk of his time - maybe half? - in the down phase after the first transition, so I imagine DP will be available for most up phases. You can cycle through AD and GAnK every other up phase when Mangle is due and get PS/GS/Bubble+HoS/etc as required.
Finkum

Postby Dashdar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:12 am

Marilee wrote:You could switch tanks after every Mangle phase. Having the tank with the debuff tank the parasites shouldn't be as big of a problem for the healers. And as you can see from my log, turns out WoG is just as helpful for healing yourself as the parasite tank as Victory Rush is.

We downed him, but had to use a hunter to kite because our OT got fussy and decided to to afk right before the fight just because we had to pug a couple of people. It worked out pretty well until we willed a chain at the end and I died...but it made it a pretty memorable because our Mage and 3 healers were able to get him to the next chain phase before they all died... messy but I'll take it

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-v ... 196&e=5701

thanks for all the help and suggestions
Dashdar

Postby Belloc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 am

If you're going to straight up tank the adds (which is perfectly fine, btw, I tanked them in our alt run on Sunday), then there should be no tank swapping -- it'll just complicate matters.
Belloc

Postby Juugimus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:24 am

We've been letting our warrior tank handle the adds by himself for a few weeks now. He did 45k DPS on our last kill and, with Victory Rush, rarely needed heals.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/i7uj ... 739&e=6160

And I second Belloc. On 10 man, I just tank the boss the whole time. We do tank swap on 25 since we have another tank there anyway.

If you're tanking it solo, the mastery elixir, prismatic elixir, and TB trinket combo really shines.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)