Remove Advertisements

[10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Postby Ezharon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:57 pm

inthedrops wrote:
Kaory wrote:Protpally OP on this fight, cuz we can use bubble when Magmaw eats us.
Last weak solotanked Magmaw 25ppl. No minus armor debuff was applied. Bug or what?

I posted this a couple times already, there is no debuff on 25, solo tanking is the proper way to do it.

Bug

Sweltering Armor is now properly applied to Magmaw's Mangle target once the debuff has faded, regardless of whether Magmaw was successfully impaled or not.
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby inthedrops » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:47 pm

Let me know what happens next time someone kills it on 25. The message quoted above me as ambiguous. It implies that it was buggy depending on impale or not.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Kerriodos » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:02 pm

I received the Sweltering Armor debuff tonight on 25 man after being released. The impale was pretty prompt, too. If there are logs posted for tonight's raid later, I'll edit this post to include them.
Kerriodos

Postby inthedrops » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Thanks for the update!
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Nemi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:18 am

We just downed him 10m last night I'll post WOL once I have them up.

Some changes:
1. 10m normal only requires two chains.
2. I've also not noticed a debuff for armor, just the mangle. Perhaps once I was spit out (and he's chained) the debuff is there and I'm not being hit so I dont notice.
3. If you use the one tank method he seems to drop agro from the tank once he eats them. When he raises back up, have your melee hold back so that you can taunt and get a threat lead.

Notes:
Mounting the worm requires you to 1. be in melee range and 2. for you to cast the chains at the spike. You'll hit 1 and get a targeting reticle similar to blizzard or any other targetable AOE. Put the reticle over the spike and cast it within five (5) seconds of the other chains. If you dont get them within five seconds he'll break them and you'll have a hard time (always a wipe for us) recovering.
Nemi

Postby baleogthefierce » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:15 am

Nemi wrote:he seems to drop agro from the tank once he eats them

I think this is probably just a consequence of the exposed head and normal Magmaw sharing a threat table. I've never had a problem with Magmaw target switching as long as the new tank taunts near the end of the impale phase.
baleogthefierce

Postby Chunes » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:19 am

baleogthefierce wrote:
Nemi wrote:he seems to drop agro from the tank once he eats them

I think this is probably just a consequence of the exposed head and normal Magmaw sharing a threat table. I've never had a problem with Magmaw target switching as long as the new tank taunts near the end of the impale phase.

This was the case for us as well. On 10man, our rogue survived single hits on two chain phases while I was learning that I had to taunt. He was knocked down to about 5%hp, but still he lived.

Since DPS is not really a problem for my group, I've just started stacking 3 HoPo then getting into position when he's nearing the end of the impale phase. Taunt + wings/ShoR and DPS can pretty much go apeshit again.
Chunes

Postby Nemi » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Yeah was pretty funny When he ated a lock who strayed too close after I didn't notice the threat change.
Nemi

Postby Thrornir » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:40 am

We did him this weekend - one thing I noticed that sucks for paladins is that our GAnK cannot be used while we're being mangled, unless you pop it when he slams his head into the ground for the AoE on one side of the room. Trying to use it while the head is raised gives an error - probably because there's no path from where you are to solid ground for our pet to pop.

Magmaw does do a complete threat reset after the mangle->impale phase.
Thrornir

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:34 am

He also appears to dump the player's threat that jumped on him, I do not think he has had a melee on top of the threat table that was jumping up.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Chunes » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:53 am

Thrornir wrote:We did him this weekend - one thing I noticed that sucks for paladins is that our GAnK cannot be used while we're being mangled, unless you pop it when he slams his head into the ground for the AoE on one side of the room. Trying to use it while the head is raised gives an error - probably because there's no path from where you are to solid ground for our pet to pop.

Magmaw does do a complete threat reset after the mangle->impale phase.

I don't remember this being an issue for me. Worst case scenario, pop GanK right before he eats you. DBM's timers are accurate enough to preemptively pop your CD's.
Chunes

Postby Azash » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Spent last night wiping on Magmaw. I was having the same problem with Guardian. Even when I popped it right before being picked up during Mangle.
It didn't seem to be reducing damage. I've compared my logs against a bear tank and DK on my server and dmg is similar.
Granted I am not the greatest in analyzing logs.

Here's a link:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/83105/

Thanks for the advice on the demo lock. Going to try and get ours to respec for the fight. Also, we're going to try having our DK respec frost as it seems to be amazing for adds also.
Azash

Postby Ezharon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:31 pm

We've got the achievement this week with our DK kitting the parasites. Very easy. I haven't notice any problem using GAnK when mangled.
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby superworm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:21 am

The 25 mode now also have this sweltering armor debuff.
Log: http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/17747293#damageout

It's not quite an issue. Our druid tank wasn't prepared for this and died. Then a dps warrior equiped his shield and taunted. After several seconds of mess (and the death of 3 melee dps) we got the fight into control and got the kill. It doesn't require high dps if you're using the kiting strategy.
superworm

Postby Chunes » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:57 am

Azash wrote:Spent last night wiping on Magmaw. I was having the same problem with Guardian. Even when I popped it right before being picked up during Mangle.
It didn't seem to be reducing damage.

Didn't check your logs, but have you tried using AD or the 20% cooldown when he eats you? Also remember that when you're in his mouth, you're in range of his head, so keep attacking it and use your holy power to wog yourself as needed.

I run my full wog spec for this fight and have even switched to SoI when he eats me for extra healing since threat is irrelevant in the eat/impale phase.
Chunes

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)