Remove Advertisements

[10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Postby baleogthefierce » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:46 am

Brutalus wrote:Or just have your offtank taunt the boss while he's casting the ground smash. Or if you're solotanking it just taunt the boss while you're mangled and before the head phase starts.

We found that once the tank is grabbed, their threat has already been wiped and you're actually just taunting off the top threat dps. We do the switch early to prevent loss of the first tank's threat lead.
baleogthefierce

Postby JavsAddiction » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:33 am

We're solo tanking this fight, the other tank (death knight), is switching to frost and is on add kiting duty, so it really is up to me.

I didn't realize threat was reseting that soon. Once my defensive cool down wears off, I should be able to taunt while i'm still in Magmaw's mangle phase? Never even occured to me. Thanks. :)
JavsAddiction

Postby Hrobertgar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:58 am

It was posted ealier in this therad I think, when discussing how to avoid dps getting nailed when the exposed phase ends and his head comes up.

Yes, you can taunt while mangled. I cannot myself tell exactly when the mangle phase is about to end, but when his head comes back up and you see both chains connected, you can count to 3 and taunt his body. There is still a risk that and additional overactive dps between your taunt and the exposed head phase can retake threat from you, but this will limit the risk to those overactive dpsers.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Belloc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:32 am

baleogthefierce wrote:
Brutalus wrote:Or just have your offtank taunt the boss while he's casting the ground smash. Or if you're solotanking it just taunt the boss while you're mangled and before the head phase starts.

We found that once the tank is grabbed, their threat has already been wiped and you're actually just taunting off the top threat dps. We do the switch early to prevent loss of the first tank's threat lead.

This is true, yes... but that's why you taunt shortly before the head gets spiked. Generally, I taunt as soon as I'm up there... and then I use taunt on Magmaw on cooldown. I try to time my last taunt to go off before I get tossed off.

I have never had Magmaw melee anyone else while doing this.
Belloc

Postby JavsAddiction » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:42 am

Hey guys. Just wanted to stop by and thank you guys for some solid advice. Magmaw went down on the second try, smooth as silk. First try one of our guys had issues with the chains, no big deal, I died. :)
Second I'm not sure anyone went below 30% health. I was able to keep aggro the entire fight and I could easily see the difference. Thanks again! Now we just we just have to figure out Omnitron. :D
JavsAddiction

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)