Remove Advertisements

[10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:36 am

General strategy

Magmaw is a stationary boss with an interesting interaction with the arena in which you fight him. The adds suppressing magmaw will not pull the boss, so clear them and then prepare to engage the worm. The fight consists of two phases and normal mode only requires one tank.

In the first phase, magmaw will be fully upright. Have the tank positioned either at the far right or far left of magmaw and position any melee dps opposite the tank. During phase one, magmaw will cast Pillar of flame at a ranged target, causing a jet of fire to erupt from the ground dealing damage and spawning lava parasites. Ranged needs to rotate away from these jets and the adds need to be killed at range. Any means of slowing these adds should be employed such as frost traps or even a frost mage's talented blizzard. Should the lava parasites get within range of a raid member, they will infect said raid member with a debuff dealing damage and causing more parasites to incubate inside said person. After a short while, the infected person will vomit more parasites into the raid, potentially causing a chain reaction of adds spawning which will lead to a wipe.

There must be someone in melee range at all times or else magmaw will gain a stacking damage buff as well as start harassing the raid with powerful ranged attacks ala ragnaros.

Phase 1 will end with magmaw applying mangle to the tank and then eating the tank whole. Defensive cooldowns should be used and healers will have to work hard to keep the tank alive for the duration of the time spent in magmaw's maw. While consumed, the tank can target magmaw's head and continue to do damage. In the case of prot paladins, they should continue to build up holy power to spend on WoG's while consumed. This will alleviate a little of the damage for healers.

Phase 2 is signaled by an on screen emote notifying players that they are able to mount magmaw like a vehicle. Upon mounting the worm, the players will be able to cast constricting chains, stunning magmaw and dealing a good chunk of damage. The catch to this, is that three casts of constricting chains must be applied to magmaw in order to take advantage of the main mechanic of this fight, which is the fact that magmaw's head takes 100% more damage than his body. Have your melee jump on magmaw, then coordinate a signal to simultaneously chain him down. If the chains are applied in a staggered manner, magmaw will simply break the chains one by one. I'm not certain if 3 people can mount magmaw at the same time or just two. If only two can, signal the chains and then have another melee spamming the mount button, ready to cast the third chain as soon as possible.

Magmaw will not cast pillar of flame at this point, however he will cast ignition, which will render half of the fighting area off limits due to it being too hot to stand on. The raid must shift away from the ignited ground (it looks like steam is covering the ground) in order to avoid severe damage.

With three constricting chains applied to magmaw, he will be yanked down and impaled on the large spike in front of him. The tank currently trapped in magmaw's mouth will be released. The raid should be sure to target his exposed head and all dps cooldowns and bloodlust can be used at this point since he will be taking greatly increased damage.

Magmaw will eventually free himself of the spike and chains and resume phase 1. Between phases 2 and 1, magmaw will completely reset aggro, so the tank must be quick to taunt and start generating threat. Melee can often survive one hit from magmaw, but it's not advised.

The fight should take 3, maybe 4 impales to kill him. I am not aware of any hard enrage timer.
Chunes

Re: [10] Magmaw - tastes like chicken!

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:28 pm

The fight has a 9 or 10 minute berserk timer. I'm guessing 10 minutes.

Also, if you are having issues healing a solo-tank, note that the a -50% armor debuff is applied whenever Magmaw eats the tank. This debuff lasts for 2 minutes, which means that a solo-tank will have it for the entire fight once it is applied.

I realize that practically all of you that will comment on this will have no problem healing through it -- that's great... this comment isn't meant for you. Also note that a -50% armor debuff will probably require a tank swap on heroic mode, no matter how good your healing is.
Belloc

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:04 pm

I will add one thing, our healers are phenomenal and we have a diverse trio consisting of holy paladin, resto druid and resto sham. Tank swapping on this fight will only make it last a little longer, which isn't a bad thing considering 10 minutes is pretty much an eternity in terms of boss fights.
Chunes

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 pm

I mentioned this in one of the generic threads, but it's important enough that I'll say it here as well:

If you have a warlock, make him spec Demo for this fight. A felguard's Felstorm will be up for almost every wave of parasites (if it's used immediately, Felstorm should always be available, even if it's a few seconds late). If used properly, the felguard will get immediate aggro on all of the parasites and will deal probably around 70% of their health in damage (assuming you're using Hand of Gul'dan). Add to that a warlock's hellfire and you could probably solo the adds if you were so inclined (though, I don't recommend it). And you can't forget about demon form --> immolation aura.

In our first attempts, I was playing as destruction so that I could stun every wave... which didn't help much when our stuns ended and the adds caught up with the raid. A felguard will serve a dual purpose -- killing the adds AND tanking the adds, holding them in place.

If you have a warlock, they need to spec demonology for this fight. If you don't have a warlock, I suggest getting one :P This information will also apply to Maloriak and Cho'gall.

Just make sure your felguard doesn't stand in the Pillar of Flame, as that will cause him to fly in the air and waste a lot of DPS time.
Belloc

Postby Chunes » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:07 am

Yeah I was doing research on some of the later fights and there's always something that would pop up saying "if you have a warlock, they should do this at this point".

Sadly we have no mains that are warlocks -_-
Chunes

Postby Arianne » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:30 pm

Doesn't the felguard get infested with the parasites? What do you do at that point? We've had succubi and imps get infested with parasites, so I'm assuming it's possible for the felguard as well.
Arianne

Postby Belloc » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:56 pm

Arianne wrote:Doesn't the felguard get infested with the parasites? What do you do at that point? We've had succubi and imps get infested with parasites, so I'm assuming it's possible for the felguard as well.

I've never seen a pet get infested... I'll check the WoL report.

edit: Done checking. Even though my pet gets plenty of melee hits from the parasites, he never once receives a Parasitic Infection.

Can you provide a WoL report for your pet infection occurrences? I wouldn't be surprised if someone was mistakenly blaming pets.

edit2: I just saw a report where an imp stood in two separate Pillar of Flames and still didn't get hit by parasitic infection. Considering that the imp would've landed in the middle of all the parasites, that tells me that pets can't be infected.
Belloc

Postby Kaory » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:29 am

Protpally OP on this fight, cuz we can use bubble when Magmaw eats us.
Last weak solotanked Magmaw 25ppl. No minus armor debuff was applied. Bug or what?
Kaory

Postby Chunes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:25 am

Kaory wrote:Protpally OP on this fight, cuz we can use bubble when Magmaw eats us.
Last weak solotanked Magmaw 25ppl. No minus armor debuff was applied. Bug or what?

Did bubble remove mangle? I know it does not remove the armor debuff if it's already applied. I'm going to have to give BoP/Bubble a shot when I'm getting chewed up next week. Not that it's really an issue though. We 2 shot him last night with the solo tank strat once again.
Chunes

Postby inthedrops » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:31 am

Kaory wrote:Protpally OP on this fight, cuz we can use bubble when Magmaw eats us.

I posted this a couple times already, there is no debuff on 25, solo tanking is the proper way to do it.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby baneoftruth » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:56 am

I've been reading conflicting information about tank positioning on this fight. I've seen some posts that indicate that you should tank him to the right of the spike and as close to the wall as possible due to a breath attack, but I've also seen other posts indicating that all of his breath attacks are unavoidable regardless of position. Any input on this?
baneoftruth

Postby Chunes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:07 pm

I tank him to the right of the spike standing about a foot from the edge and a foot from the right-most wall. My ranged DPS does not stand in line with me. Not sure if the breath can be avoided, but my ranged aren't taking extreme damage in this fight.
Chunes

Postby baneoftruth » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Chunes wrote:I tank him to the right of the spike standing about a foot from the edge and a foot from the right-most wall. My ranged DPS does not stand in line with me. Not sure if the breath can be avoided, but my ranged aren't taking extreme damage in this fight.

Something must not be right then... We did a few hours of attempts last night and I would constantly see 70% of the raid drop to ~10% health. There was so much AoE damage going out that I thought we were on heroic >.>
baneoftruth

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm

baneoftruth wrote:
Chunes wrote:I tank him to the right of the spike standing about a foot from the edge and a foot from the right-most wall. My ranged DPS does not stand in line with me. Not sure if the breath can be avoided, but my ranged aren't taking extreme damage in this fight.

Something must not be right then... We did a few hours of attempts last night and I would constantly see 70% of the raid drop to ~10% health. There was so much AoE damage going out that I thought we were on heroic >.>

Do you have a WoL report?
Belloc

Postby baneoftruth » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:55 pm

Belloc wrote:Do you have a WoL report?

No...that would be far too helpful to have, I'm sure. Pardon my knowledge gap, but how do I go about generating one of those?
baneoftruth

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)