Remove Advertisements

[10] Omnitron Defense System

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Omnitron Defense System

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:08 am

General Strategy

This fight is a technical fight that will require good communication between your tanks, between your raid dps and between your healers.

Four omnitron golems participate in the fight, however at any one time only two will be active. The fight starts with one active golem at 100% energy. When this golem is engaged, an energy beam will be channeling into a separate, dormant golem. When the active golem reaches 50% energy (resource, not hp), the golem that was receiving the energy beam will become active. Shortly after this, the first golem will put up a damage shield with varying effects depending on whatever golem it is and will need to simply be off tanked passively by the tank initially in charge of that golem. These damage shields will eventually fade, allowing the tank to once again attack the now deactivating golem. The second golem will follow the same pattern as the first, discharging energy until 50% when the third golem will activate. This process happens indefinitely with a random golem activating every 50 energy. Once a golem activates, the previous golem being offtanked will go offline, allowing the tank to pick up the new golem. The 4 golems share a common health pool and the activating/deactivating golems will have to be juggled by the tanks throughout the fight.

Golems and their abilities

Arcanotron

One of the easier golems to manage, this guy will periodically lay an energy zone on the ground that he must be pulled out of. This pool is called power generator and will buff melee damage as well as grant a significant amount of mp5 to casters. It's best if you can drag arcanotron out of this just far enough to allow melee to benefit from the damage buff. Arcanotron will also frequently cast arcane annihilator, a single target spell with a somewhat quick cast time. It does pretty significant damage considering how often it's cast. Interrupting this will save your healers some mana. When he deactivates, he will cast power conversion, applying a shield that will progressively increase his damage upon receiving any damage. All raid memebers must stop attacking him at this point, tank included. Mages may spellsteal his shield if they want. He will continue to lay power generator pools and cast arcane annihilator while deactivating.

Magmatron

This golem has two fire based abilities of note. The first, incineration security measure is a simple blanket AoE. defensive CD's, raidwall and aura mastery greatly mitigate this damage. The second ability is called acquiring target. Magmatron will pick one raid member, focus on them and proceed to blast them with jets of fire for a few seconds. This deals significant damage, can't be evaded by positioning and must be healed through. Defensive measures like AMS for DK's or deterrence for hunters can reduce damage however. The targeted person must move in such a way as to not put any other raid member in the same line of fire as his/herself. Raid members must get out of the line of fire as well. Acquiring target can be thought of as a dragon breath with a VERY narrow cone. It can be easily sidestepped without having to be directly behind the boss, but when in doubt, err on the side of caution when evading this ability. As Magmatron is powering down, he will apply a shield that absorbs a set amount (300k) of damage. If it breaks, it will do a large pulse of AoE damage. All raid members, tank included, must stop damage when he applies this shield. It cannot, to my knowledge, be spellstolen or otherwise removed prematurely.

Electron

As is evident by his name, this golem deals primarily electric nature damage. NR resist can help mitigate his spells. Electron will cast a chain lightning that will hit 3 adjacent raid members, increasing damage each jump. The raid should spread out to help prevent this damage, but it is completely manageable if it does hit 3 people. The other ability he will cast is lightning conductor. It is a debuff that causes the target to pulse aoe damage. Anyone with this buff must get away from other raid members unless it's the tank, in which case all raid members must get away from him/her. As electron deactivates, he will apply a damage shield that will pulse damage when attacked. As with the other golems, everyone must stop attacking him when the shield goes up.

Toxitron

Of all the golems, I like toxitron the most for one reason: poison cloud. Periodically, toxitron will drop a large green cloud of gas causing everyone who stands in it to take 50% more damage, golems included. You can position any active golems on the edge of this gas cloud in such a way that allows melee to still have access to the golem's back, like so:

Surprisingly, it is VERY easy to achieve this positioning since the golems apparently have a massive hit box. The other ability he will cast is called poison protocol. This ability will summon three adds which will fixate on a raid member and slowly start moving towards them. All dps not targeted by these slimes should blow them up. They work very similarly to the orange slime from putricide except there is no beam showing who they are chasing. Should these slimes reach their targets, they will detonate, killing the target and any poor people close to the target as well as leaving a puddle of goo where they detonated which deals significant damage to anyone who touches it. As Toxitron deactivates, he will apply a shield that will stack a poison debuff on anyone who attacks it. All raid members must stop attacking when this shield is cast.

There is no hard enrage for this encounter that I know of, nor is there any burn phase. It's ideal to pop bloodlust/heroism when a power generator is down to maximize damage and lust can be popped as early as the first golem if it happens to be arcanotron that is active at the start of the fight.

The real crux of this fight will be how well the tanks can transition between golems and how well the raid can effectively cope with the various abilities in play. This fight is reminiscent of illidari council in terms of the sheer number of things the raid will have to be looking out for, both in terms of boss abilities to interrupt, puddles of "bad" to not stand in, adds to avoid and debuffs applied to raid members.
Chunes

Re: [10] Omnitron Defense System

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:19 pm

In 10M this fight can be single tanked in JP and Rep gear, which allows you to bring an additional DPS and not divide the healer's attention. People have to be careful with cleaves for the 15 seconds shields go up, but I think the additional DPS slot and absence of travel time between tanks makes up for it.

If Arcanotron gets his Arcane Annihilator off while standing in a Power Generator, it will do 100k damage. It is generally worth having an interrupter sit on him while he's active, just in case.

We typically assign one healer (generally a disc priest) to be responsible for Magmatron's Acquiring Target ability. The target must run out of raid or be called all sorts of bad names on vent.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Interesting!

Maybe I'll suggest that my group tries solo tanking on tuesday.
Chunes

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Nice write ups, by the way. :]

We've had issues getting tanks up and running due to holiday work schedules, so we've been single tanking a lot (Also, I have a strong bias towards bringing fewer tanks and more dps in general).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:09 am

Thanks!

I just got tired of seeing a fight thread, only to open it and see some specific question as the first post and little other info about the fight.

Now I just hope bliz keeps the dynamics on these fights somewhat static so I don't have to come back in two months and update all the ones I made.
Chunes

Postby fudomyou » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Oh man. My team is made of such donkeys, hahaha

We thought that the Chain Lightning would hit more than 3 people and kill them after 4 or 5 people, C'thun style. We also didn't know about the gas cloud debuffing the bosses, too.

Our fight took 12 minutes, instead of the average 6 on WoL. I'm still laughing about it with my raiders.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Sleetza » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:43 pm

Hey guys, got a problem with this fight. I am tanking this stuff 95% perfect, including poisonclouds and standing in galaxy myself and stuff. Everything goes fairly well, arcane annihilator does get interrupted most of the time (by 2 people tho) and slimes generally die quick enough. Then we got to like 40-45%, healers are all OOM and we whipe. I dont believe this is so much of a gearcheck for healers, and we aint taking THAT much avoidable damage alltogether. Its kinda hard to swallow our healers need to L2P... Maybe run with 1 tank 4 healers? Altho I am not quite confortable with tanking two without being able to use holy wrath, avengers shield and concecration (rarely use the last one) altho I could make my AS hit one target with glyph. Any suggestions?

Sleetza
Sleetza

Postby Jaitee » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:34 am

Sleetza wrote:Hey guys, got a problem with this fight. I am tanking this stuff 95% perfect, including poisonclouds and standing in galaxy myself and stuff. Everything goes fairly well, arcane annihilator does get interrupted most of the time (by 2 people tho) and slimes generally die quick enough. Then we got to like 40-45%, healers are all OOM and we whipe. I dont believe this is so much of a gearcheck for healers, and we aint taking THAT much avoidable damage alltogether. Its kinda hard to swallow our healers need to L2P... Maybe run with 1 tank 4 healers? Altho I am not quite confortable with tanking two without being able to use holy wrath, avengers shield and concecration (rarely use the last one) altho I could make my AS hit one target with glyph. Any suggestions?

Sleetza

the blue puddles that arcanatron drops give a mana regen buff im not sure if it was 250 mp5 or 250 mps make sure your healers are utilizing these as much as possible

also you can prevent a little bit of tank damage by standing as far away from the unit about to activate as possible as it cant attack you till it gets in range...just make sure its within taunt range :P

we just downed it then (yay!) and over time your healers will get better at it ie knowing that a certain boss combo wont do another aoe hit for a while allowing them to get everyones health up slower but more mana efficently

we had a few wipes around the 10-20% mark as our healers got used to it and on our succesful atttempt they ended the fight half the raid barely alive all our healers oom not a healthstone left amongst us etc
Jaitee

Postby heuvarius » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:15 pm

Sleetza wrote:...I dont believe this is so much of a gearcheck for healers, and we aint taking THAT much avoidable damage alltogether. Its kinda hard to swallow our healers need to L2P...

It is actually very much a gear thing. When we got our kill in the first week, we needed to do everything including stacking for mana and rolling innervate/mana hymm to get through the fight. Now they just go in and kill him with everyone still having plenty of mana left.

As your raid gear up, things die faster and healer mana last longer. These makes a huge difference on how hard a fight is perceived to heal.
Best looking Femtaur-din in the game.
heuvarius

Postby mosa » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:53 am

Can anyone provide information that they single tank this fight and it is easier/more manageable? I'm always looking to move my OT into DPS and I'm wondering if this is something we should try tonight.
mosa

Postby avatar8481 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 am

We tried it unsuccessfully with both one and two tanks here:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-npwovep9euvht4iq/dashboard/?enc=wipes&boss=42166

But as the main tank I thought the one tank strat had serious promise, now I just need to convince my group of the same. Overall tank damage was way down with one tank vs two also.

Postby mosa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:29 am

To answer my own question, I successfuly tanked it solo 2 weeks ago, went in with our other guild group to help them out 1 week ago, dps couldn't play smart enough to allow the one tank method so had to go back to 2 tanks.

A good function of this is how good/heads up your dps seem to be with interrupting Arcanatron and how quick you can move him out of the blue puddles, it's only then that anyone really is at risk of dying.
mosa

Postby Treck » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:44 pm

From personal experience on 10man, arcanatron didnt seem that important to be interrupting (it obviously helps when everyone is allready dpsing him, but didnt seem that important after shield got up), the arcane bolts hits for about 40k.
Since there isnt an enrage on them "yet", going 4 healers isnt that bad, but remember you have to have the dps to kill the poison bombs aswell.
Most important part was that people need to track their debuffs, after that it was pretty easy.
Healers mana wasnt that big of a problem, we had pally(me) shamana and druid healing, we had in total 4x manatide, helped a bit, and utilizing the arcane pools meant that keeping a healty manapool was pretty managable.
I feel it would bring more chaos than order using one tank instead of 2, so id personally be against using it, but if it works out better for you using only one, good for you :P
Treck

Postby Siral » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 am

Anybody know a video or guide for single tank strategy?

We have problem to find an off-tank and we are blocked in our progress in this fight.
Siral

Postby Shathus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:58 am

Siral wrote:Anybody know a video or guide for single tank strategy?

We have problem to find an off-tank and we are blocked in our progress in this fight.

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying it (haven't done it myself), but it would just involve

tank both at once (obviously)
make sure DPS switches to new golem when up (same as before)
stop any ability that cleaves while a shield is up (probably the key factor here)

I know magmatron and toxitron's adds can target you as a tank if you're not actively on him... when using 1 tank, I wonder if that is no longer true since you would have top aggro on both.

Just get both in the poison cloud and be very quick to move out of Arcanotron's power galaxy thing as that will hurt with 2 golems on you.

Anything else I've missed?
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)