Omnitron Defense System

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Omnitron Defense System

Postby Argali » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Question about electron and his static shield.

What triggers it, besides the obvious?

We're half decent at switching when each robot casts it's shield type ability, however, one of our shamans keeps getting hit by the static shock. He is enhancement, and after careful observation, he seems to be picking on him and throwing the static shock, even when the shaman has gone to melee the other robot!
Argali

Re: Omnitron Defense System

Postby heuvarius » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:44 pm

Does his totem still continue to attack Electron?
Best looking Femtaur-din in the game.
heuvarius

Postby Belloc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Aside from totems or dot ticks... I have to ask this: Why not just switch as soon as the next mob becomes active? I can't really think of any reason to wait for a shield, with the only exception being interrupters on arcanotron.
Belloc

Postby Argali » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:14 am

That's why I said we're half decent. If we were 100% competent, my raiders would switch at 50 energy, like I told them to >.>

Personally, I'm thinking that fire totem triggers it, but just wanted to ask if anyone else knows anything.
Argali

Postby gomashon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:20 am

electron's bouncing "chain lighting" triggering the shaman's lighting shield -> damage on electron -> electron retaliates!
Group Therapy (Ravencrest-EU), 2 raid days per week, 8/8 25-Heroic, always recruiting.
gomashon

Postby Protigy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Argali wrote:We're half decent at switching when each robot casts it's shield type ability, however, one of our shamans keeps getting hit by the static shock. He is enhancement, and after careful observation, he seems to be picking on him and throwing the static shock, even when the shaman has gone to melee the other robot!

Upon Cata release, totems and pets will continue to damage the shield unless recalled or target-swapped. Nomnom raid damage for those who are parse hunting and/or do not want to swap.

However, this was supposedly hotfixed on 15 December, so the only reason for anyone to damage the shield is through player abilities, which I assume includes defensive damage "reflect" abilities.

Blue Post wrote:• Arcanotron's Shield should only proc off of player attacks and not things like Searing Totem, pets, etc.
Protigy
Maintankadonor

Postby fudomyou » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:50 am

Quick question since we're trying this tonight. When a shield is up, are you supposed to turn of auto attack and cease all rotational options while it's up, barring the arcane guy and his interrupts? Or can you keep your hopo high and do all normal things while waiting for your robot to stop moving?
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby sculder » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:57 am

fudomyou wrote:Quick question since we're trying this tonight. When a shield is up, are you supposed to turn of auto attack and cease all rotational options while it's up, barring the arcane guy and his interrupts? Or can you keep your hopo high and do all normal things while waiting for your robot to stop moving?

Short answer: YES, stop all attacks.

Longer answer:
electron - His shield will _quickly_ kill you if you keep hitting him. You must stop all attacks.
magmatron - His shield will explode after absorbing 400,000 (on 25R) damage, dealing ~70k to everyone. You must stop all attacks.
Toxitron - His shield is interesting. IF you attack him you will gain a debuff that has a DOT component, but also gives you bonus damage (~10k iirc) when attacking him. I recommend stopping attacks, or at least slowing down to not give your healers a heart attack. In the end the bonus damage isn't even that great so it's not really worth it.
arcanotron - doesn't have a shield, but he does have a spellsteal-able/purge-able buff that needs to be gone asap.

edit: last week I killed myself while not paying attention (staring at combat log...) and continuing to auto-attack electron. Not advised.
Last edited by sculder on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
sculder

Postby inthedrops » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:57 am

I honestly never fully read into and understood the shield mechanic. But here's what I do since I figured it was "safe".

As soon as his shield goes up I hit escape and stop attacking. I check if I happen to have any holy power and how much time is left on my holy shield. I sit there doing nothing for a few seconds and then get my holy shield back up before it drops off. If I don't have any holy power then so be it.

The shield is only up for like 12 seconds or so. I start attacking again once it drops.

I'm sure I'll be told I'm doing it wrong now but I honestly need to be told the answer anyway :) I've just been lazy.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby sculder » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:03 am

inthedrops wrote:I honestly never fully read into and understood the shield mechanic. But here's what I do since I figured it was "safe".

As soon as his shield goes up I hit escape and stop attacking. I check if I happen to have any holy power and how much time is left on my holy shield. I sit there doing nothing for a few seconds and then get my holy shield back up before it drops off. If I don't have any holy power then so be it.

The shield is only up for like 12 seconds or so. I start attacking again once it drops.

I'm sure I'll be told I'm doing it wrong now but I honestly need to be told the answer anyway :) I've just been lazy.

It's not wrong at all. I'm generally not too worried about holy shield for the shield phases. If I've got the HP i'll refresh it, otherwise I just let it fall and pop barkskin or trinkets or something. The damage is pretty light.
sculder

Postby Koatanga » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:31 pm

gomashon wrote:electron's bouncing "chain lighting" triggering the shaman's lighting shield -> damage on electron -> electron retaliates!

Quite possible. My wife used to pull ag on the pull of Sindragosa because her lightning shield would go off the moment the dragon became active, before the tank was in range.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:38 pm

sculder wrote:
inthedrops wrote:I honestly never fully read into and understood the shield mechanic. But here's what I do since I figured it was "safe".

It's not wrong at all. I'm generally not too worried about holy shield for the shield phases. If I've got the HP i'll refresh it, otherwise I just let it fall and pop barkskin or trinkets or something. The damage is pretty light.
I knew cows could be paladins but I didn't realize bears could be, too.
Belloc

Postby sculder » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Belloc wrote:I knew cows could be paladins but I didn't realize bears could be, too.

Divine Barkskin. And yes, my healers do get confused sometimes when i say barkskin
sculder

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)