Remove Advertisements

Heroic Stonecore : Ozruk

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Heroic Stonecore : Ozruk

Postby Ezharon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:38 pm

How do you manage Ozruk in heroic Stonecore?

I had this heroic as daily 2 times this week and each time it turn on a wipe fest.

I tank the boss in the doorway where he is, facing him away from the group which stand at more than 15 yards.

We cleared the 2 packs of mobs before him so the group can stay where the right pack was and I can turn him facing away from where the left pack was.

When he does his ground slam I just move a few steps through him.

When he cast Paralyze I began to run through him where the left pack was and stop only when he had finished casting his shatter. Then I run back to him and try to run through him before he cast ground slam again.

It works great for a few times during the first half of the fight but after a while it seems there's always a time where I can't run back quickly enough to him before the next ground slam and I died (or if I try to turn back earlier I died from the shatter).
Last edited by Ezharon on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Re: Heroic Stonecore : Ozruk

Postby inthedrops » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:56 pm

When looking at the boss before pulling, all trash to your right is cleared (I ignore the one trash pack to the left near the boss).

1. When I pull, I pull him REALLY far back into the room we just cleared. Pretty much gets pulled right where the last trash we just got killing was at.
2. Once he's on me, I immediately turn him around.
3. I keep him facing at a slight angle towards the inner wall. It's not that important, just helps a bit with ground slam.
4. When he starts casting slam, I just side step to my right and over around him a hair to be safe. I make sure I'm nowhere even close to getting hit. Already died to that more than once thinking I was far enough :)
5. Once quake is done I just shimmy right back over and get ready for paralize.
6. For paralize or whatever it's called, as soon as I'm free I strafe out behind me (away from the room we just cleared) at full running speed. And I haul ass back in there when the cast is done. He ends up moving roughly 5 yards on average, perhaps 10.

I repeat steps 4 through 6 until he's dead.

When I first went there, DPS was low and I started running out of room to keep running backwards during paralize. But I was in vent so I called out that I was going to turn him around and head the other direction after the next quake. Just make sure you wait for Quake before you do any turning.

These days, we don't run out of room.

The key to this strat is to pull him really far back as described in step 1 above. There seems to be enough time to turn him around before the first quake.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:31 pm

I would recommend strafing once he casts Paralyze instead of running through his model. Depending on when the dot ticks and breaks your paralysis, you may lose an entire second of movement time, and if you're running through his rather large model, you will probably take the hit.

You can run away from the party so he never has reason to turn around to face them and catch them with a bad ground slam. Even if they do, a moderately geared paladin with a Glory build can solo him. It'll take forever, but your party can always run back in.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Ezharon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:51 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:I would recommend strafing once he casts Paralyze instead of running through his model. Depending on when the dot ticks and breaks your paralysis, you may lose an entire second of movement time, and if you're running through his rather large model, you will probably take the hit.

I'll give it a try next time thanks.

I was already setting myself just under him to not loose time when running away from is shatter. Works fine at the beggining but I was always late after a few minutes in the fight (like if he was casting ground slam sooner after a shatter).
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby KillaMachine » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:56 pm

its really simple just move the boss a bit further down the tunnel not too far just enough so you can see his name plate, after that its really simple. Make sure u run away atleast 10 yards right after he casts paralyze will give u enough time to avoid shatter.
KillaMachine

Postby PsiVen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:17 am

I usually clear the left pack, then pull him slightly forward and face him towards the right wall. Run through on ground slam, and cross the room to the left after Paralyze. He will run to you and almost immediately cast Ground Slam, so you run through him and repeat. Sometimes he will stutter step and Ground Slam halfway across the room, in this case just strafe to avoid it and let him run over to you and flip him around.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Invisusira » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:16 am

The weird/annoying thing about Ozruk is that as the fight goes on, the timing of his abilities start to get out of sync - their cooldowns seem to be just slightly different. By the end of the fight, he actually casts Paralyze BEFORE he casts his reflective barrier... and Ground Slam/Shatter start getting really really close. I can't help but wonder whether or not it's intentional.
Invisusira

Postby strenge » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 am

I have seen this encounter destroy groups. I have yet to pull a random as a DPS and have the tank able to pass it. So without further ado: HowToOzruk

Ozruk doesn't melee for much. He doesn't have a lot of HP, although he does have very high mitigation. What he does have is 3 incredibly nasty abilities that he uses about every 30 to 40 seconds. Until he enrages, and then he cycles them faster. Fun!

Ground Slam: This is a 30 degree cone, with a ~2 second cast that locks his rotation. Fairly long range, It hits for 500k. Five, hundred, thousand, hitpoints. Obviously, you don't want to be hit by it.

Paralyze: This locks you in place, counting down. If it lasts the full duration, you take 40k damage. Any damage taken during the countdown breaks the effect.

Shatter: This is a point blank AOE effect (it shares a name only with previous shatter effects that did damage based on proximity to other players) that hits for 150k. 15ish yard range. You also don't want to be hit by this. A well geared tank CAN take a hit if they blow some cooldowns or are topped off, but it's a very bad idea.

A spell reflecting damage shield I do not recall the name of: This is your friend. This will save your life and is the mechanic that makes the encounter possible. The spell reflect can be used to bounce a dot onto yourself that will allow you break out of paralyze. The damage shield will place a dot on melee for about 2500 per second that will allow you to break out of paralyze. This is a trivial amount of damage and whoo boy do you need that dot.

He always uses the 4 abilities in the same order. When he enrages, he cycles them a bit faster, that is all.

Ground slam > about 5 seconds > Reflect > about 5 seconds > Paralyze > Shatter > about 10 seconds > Ground slam

You'll notice he goes directly into shatter from the paralyze. This is why it is so critical to pick up the dot. You have to be on the move the instant paralyze breaks or shatter will hit you.

oo|ooooooo|
oo|ooooooo|
oo|oooooo2|
oo|1oooooo|
--ooooooooo--

Dig my awesome ascii diagram. You'll want to clear both groups at the mouth of Ozruk's tunnel. Only melee will be going into the tunnel. All ranged and healers can stay faaar away from him and have no movement to worry about. (I'm lazy nowadays and don't clear the left group anymore but YMMV)

The tank will pull Ozruk to the front left edge of the tunnel and tank him with your back to the wall. When he ground slams, simply jump through him and punch him in the back for a couple seconds. The ground slam effect locks his rotation, so he will be blasting that cone of death into the wall, as opposed to you or your party. As soon as the casts it, jump back through him and spin around to lay down more hurt. Ozruk does not hit very hard, and your full mobility is MUCH more important than making sure you are facing him at all times.

You will now have a few seconds to dps and he will use his reflect ability. Yay! you don't care, just keep hitting him in the face, because he is now going to use paralyze. Hold down your movement keys/buttons of choice, because the instant the dot ticks and breaks it, you need to be hauling ass through him and moving to position two. Turn and face him. He'll come lumbering over, you'll have a couple of seconds, and he will then ground slam and start the whole joyous roller coaster back over.

The reason you run slightly angled is because the tunnel is somewhat narrow, and while technically there is enough room to simply go side to side, you really, really don't want to discover you didn't give yourself quite enough room when shatter hits.

Things heat up a bit when he enrages, as he will not make it all the way across the tunnel before using ground slam. Just be ready to meet him in the middle of the hall and do your jump throughs there, then pull him the rest of the way across to set up and give space for the paralyze/shatter combo.

A couple of points: You will be in almost constant motion as the tank. Do not hesitate to turn your back to the boss for the sake of mobility. His normal attacks don't hit that hard. You will be called on to react very quickly, over and over, and if you slip up once, it will be a wipe. Also, pray for some ranged dps or some very good melee, because I have only seen one melee make it through the fight to date.
strenge

Postby Treck » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:03 pm

You dont have to clear the pack to the left or to the right, you can run "past" them.
In a pug tho, its hightly unlikely that everyone will manage to run between tho ^^

Instead of pulling him back, you can pull him further into the next room, and you will have a lot of room.
I usually just tank the boss in the next room, running through the boss if he casts ground slam, and turn and run whenever i get paralized.
Treck

Postby Invisusira » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:27 pm

strenge wrote:He always uses the 4 abilities in the same order. When he enrages, he cycles them a bit faster, that is all.

Ground slam > about 5 seconds > Reflect > about 5 seconds > Paralyze > Shatter > about 10 seconds > Ground slam

That's not.... entirely true.

His spell reflect ability, at very least, starts to get out of sync at the end of the fight. He'll cast Paralyze BEFORE putting it up.
Invisusira

Postby strenge » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:49 am

I've never seen that happen, but I've always drawn at least 1 decent ranged dps in Stonecore, so that may have something to do with it. I imagine reflect after para would make the encounter somewhere between a total pain for solid groups to completely undoable for the average pug. Certainly you'd lose your melee automatically.
strenge

Postby Chasey » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:02 am

I just ran this with a pug. No one was on in guild and it was the last one I needed to get the dungeon master. So I pugged. Most peole now are pretty understanding about pugs now.
IMO stonecore is the hardest 5 man I've ever done from a tanks PoV.
We wiped a few times on the 1st boss. 1 shot the second and got to Ozruk. I have faced this guy 1 time before we wiped like 3 times on him and run fell apart. So I watched some vids.

I can agree with w/e said that his timer is off a big. You get a rythem as you tank and it felt like ground slam and shatter were at different times towards the end of the fight.

I wiped us 4x's before we got him. 3 to not making it thru his legs far enough and the other cause "like a pro" as I was called in the run, pulled the adds...lol

You have to be perfect as a tank on this fight or you die. Once you get the timing down thou I can see it becoming easy.

OH BTW the group that I was in tried to kick me after the last wipe and I was called baddie and berated for dying how I did. Kinda sucked to hear that but it was my fault. The biggest mouth in the group was a Belf Fury Warrior pulling 5K dps (not on that fight but all the way thru) and he had decent gear and a few epics.LOL
Chasey

Postby Forgrim » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:21 am

I did this fight last time, and I have noticed that timing throughout the battle can change. Ozruk did a paralyze then shatter, and usually he does ground slam as i'm running back towards him but he delayed it. I was semi confused since he put up shield, ground slamed, THEN paralyzed for the shatter. Needless to say, i think i barely made it out of the shatter cuz i was out of position from dodging the ground slam.

This fight makes me proud to be a tank but damn the changing times.
Forgrim

Postby strenge » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:05 am

It's my favorite fight. This one and the heated armor guy in BRC. Pulling them off smoothly leaves pugs speechless.
strenge

Postby Invisusira » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:13 am

strenge wrote:I've never seen that happen

That's because you're a tank. There are two different reflects - one for melee, one for casters. As a caster, it happens me every time.
Invisusira

Next

Return to Normal and Heroic 5-Man Dungeons