Remove Advertisements

Blackrock Caverns: Karsh Steelbender

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Blackrock Caverns: Karsh Steelbender

Postby PsiVen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 am

This fight is very hard until you learn how to get only 1 stack reliably, 2 stacks max. If you don't do this, it becomes far more difficult and letting any adds spawn makes it extremely hard to control his stacks. Even worse, every time you have to re-stack him the group takes a ton of extra damage so you can't afford to be letting him get a bunch at once.

On the pull, wait for him to path around and pull him through the furnace for the first stack. From there, align yourself with the edge of the furnace and when his debuff reaches half duration (or just 6sec, after the change) run directly across the very tip of the furnace to the other side. The boss will run straight through and get one stack. Sometimes he will pause or you will lag / be slow to react a moment, which is why you want to give yourself 6 seconds on the debuff as you do NOT want it to fall off. Once in a while he will pause in the furnace for no reason and you'll get 3 stacks, but that's just him being a dick.

After that, no matter where he ends up, drag him back to within ~10yd of the furnace and get ready to strafe back across the edge of the furnace again. I always move at exactly halfway on the debuff, this will give you plenty of leeway. Even at 15 stacks, the amount of group damage dealt by a single additional tick is easily healed. If you do this perfectly he might die too early around 13 stacks, just drag him into the furnace at 5% for your achievement.

If you screw up and get adds, pick them up and get a single stack on the boss. If you need to get another stack before the adds die, take him for another pass at the furnace. Kill all the adds at once and run directly away while they're dying, to minimize the number of stacks he gets from their lava pools. Don't try to "catch back up", just treat it like the fight started over and continue to slowly increase his stacks until dead. At all costs, you want to keep the debuff from falling off unless a single tick will kill everyone instantly. It's actually safer to take him for an 18th stack than to let him spawn adds and risk having him take multiple stacks while you try to regain control of the situation.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby theothersteve7 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:49 pm

It requires fast timing and a lot of luck, but if you wind up with a lot of adds with equal health, you can burn down a set of them at the same time with HotR, and if you're running while you do this Karsh won't get more than a couple stacks. Try to time it with his debuff if you're feeling really pro.

In my experience, it's generally worth it to get his stacks up to eight or so with no adds up. If he breaks eight, blow a cooldown. If he breaks six with adds, blow a cooldown. If the healer's having trouble, blow a cooldown.

This is an exciting fight and fun to tank, in my opinion. It reminds me a bit of Putricide or Hodir.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Sarutankah » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Went with a guild group from another server, got the 15 stack achieve easily due to pro tactics.

Have hunter or healer stand on opposite side of the fire pillar, get them to taunt boss so he runs back through then the tank taunts him back - too easy, no tank movement = maximum dps time for all.

This was pre nerf - the current 17sec debuff makes it pretty trivial.
Sarutankah

Postby Brute » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:48 am

I don't guess I killed him pre-nerf but yeah the easiest way is to keep letting his buff stack until you kill him; don't let adds spawn. stack the buff slowly as possible.

The one time I killed him, but buff got to around 13, then I f'd up and spawned adds, but I popped a CD and we ignored them and burned him down since he was just at 5%.
Brute

Postby theothersteve7 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:36 am

Post-nerf this guy is only about as hard as any other boss, provided the tank knows what he's doing. Killed him last night without spawning any adds, stacking the debuff only to 9. Blew cooldowns at 7. DPS wasn't outstanding either.

I'd say the "correct" way to do this boss, now, is to not spawn adds at all.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Gracerath » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:02 am

Bashe wrote:
Gracerath wrote:Not knowing any better, someone was feeding me a strat suggesting going up to 10-12 stacks, 1-2 at a time. Needless to say, it didn't work well. I think he said he was using wowwiki. I went to wowhead and comments there suggest the strat posted above. I only read it after the group had broken up, naturally.

Why needless to say? I do it this way and it works just fine.

- Build up 10 stacks, slowly. Don't just go in and out all the time, start to go back in at around 8s left on the debuff. Give your healer time to deal with the aoe damage. Your ranged dps can hug the circle of healing or whatnot.
- At 10 stacks, just let it drop off. This spawns the adds. Now you tank him while the adds get dragged off to the side somewhere and dealt with. Don't drag him into the fire at all at this point. During this phase boss dps is almost negligible.
- Once the adds are dead, you start the cycle from the beginning, which is a nice moment to hit offensive cooldowns for everyone.

Doing it like this, and with somewhat decent dps, it's very unlikely to go into another round but if you have to, let the debuff drop off at 10 stacks again. If you screw up and the stacks fall off by accident, deal with the adds first, before going back to the cycle.

I'll amend to say that the PuG healer wasn't equipped to deal with the AE damage that ramped up or just wasn't skilled enough and I had a particular failure at getting the stacks to ramp up slowly. The strat itself works fine, assuming your healer knows what to expect and how to handle it. Also learning how to build up the stacks a bit more slowly helped. Sometimes it seemed like he just wouldn't cooperate and would stand in the fire and get 4 stacks built up. Flaw on my part, I can reliably get 1-2 every time now. Sometimes 3 but the group knows what to expect now and how to handle that.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Dalindor » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:30 am

Personally the way I pull the conflags are alittle differently then I've read the first few posts of this topic. Heres how I do it.

Using the bridge I have the Dps stand back and a healer follow me up. The object is to seperate the Conflag from the quick silvers. So by using just a simple taunt/judgement pull I run toward the stairs, going up them toward the bridge next to the portal. What happens is the conflag is faster then the quicksilvers since they walk/pause instead of continueously follow. By the time the conflag reaches the middle of the bridge, the quicksilvers are out of the picture entirely. Then just burn down the conflag by himself.

The second pull will end at the end of the bridge on the other side most of the time. I hope this helps.
Dalindor

Postby kurtizzle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:13 pm

inthedrops wrote:Beauty gets easier with gear so just come back later. It's possible to tank all three and the boss in 346 gear if your group is at that point already. Good cooldowns, human racial for any scary fear etc.

The Steelbender, I've tanked it only twice. However we recently worked on the 15 stack achievement. And I've got to say, it was soooo much easier to tank when going for the achievement than doing it the "5 then drop stacks" way.

Regardless of which way you do it. Try to get only 1 stack at a time, not two. The reason is that often he stops to do his melee attack thing and ends up getting two anyway. If you're trying for two, he'll get 3. And you'll be getting too many adds.

I feel strongly that you should get 1 on him. Before it expires, get a second, and keep going up until the point where it's too much for your healer. For us, we were fine up until the 15 mark (I accidentally got him to 16) but I'd think 10 would be more ideal for a guild run (non-pug). Only then let it drop. I honestly think 5 is too small an amount for more guilds people. It actually makes it more difficult for the tank due to adds.

The nice benefit of this is that there are zero adds to take care of, and the fight ends quickly. And you'll probably end up with the achievement. You just have to save your cooldowns for the end, including Divine Guardian. Pop DG just before you take him in for those last stack or two as they will hurt the party the most. Save up three Holy Power so you can wog the healer too, have lay on hands ready, all that jazz.

I generally don't like reading strats for 5 mans, but we had issues with this fight in our guild group, so here are the things we tried!

DPS using Taunt/Fixate:

We had 2 hunters, but any one class with taunt is fine. Have the tank pull the boss through the flame at the start, the group circles round the back. He may take 2-3 stacks on run through, when the buff just passes 50% time have your 'AGGRO FEIND' pull the boss off you, run your toon around the fire well and pull the boss back. This strat can work well it's class dependant and a little sketch, your healer needs to be on the ball.

Zerg Method:

Another strat is to double dip him at the start and SMASH out some Heavy DPS. You will need to make the pull and pop Divine Guardian at teh same time, smack wings and punk him down. Think we managed 8 stacks with everyone clicking lightwell. You'll get most of the fight over in no time, however you will want to let the stacks run out, deal with adds correctly. Just BoP the Healer and have DPS take an add each or so outside. Keep yourself up using WoG durring this part, now double dip the boss again use all CDs again and nuke the remaining HP. For the Tank and Healer you can pull this off quite easily, the DPS is where it fails, add management or just too low DPS to make it viable. Expect this to becoem common practice later into gearing.

Achievement:

Tank the boss around the circle always strafing, touch him in once and pull back out, 9/10 you will proc twice. Never let his buff fall off and the adds won't spawn. Save your Cool Downs for later as his 'Immolation aura' catches up with your Healer's throughput, after 75% boss HP switch to SoL and WoG spam.

PS: We have the achievement, we discovered it while trying to kill the boss our first time, thing was we thought we were wiping because adds spawned, so we removed them:P

Top tip: Clear some adds at the side of the room on at least one side, Mages and Hunters like to run away form enemies but never look where they are going.
Kurtizzle lvl 80 Tankadin T7/7.5/Badgeloot/roic drops
EU-HELLFIRE
kurtizzle

Postby Anubisknight » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:06 pm

d503 wrote:Here's what we do:

Conflags - Try to pull the conflag to an area where there aren't too many quicksilvers. Any that do end up coming with the conflag, have another class taunt them out of the area of the conflag and "tank" them until they harden up. This will only prevent 1 dpser from being on the conflag, and have everyone else beating it down.

Boss - I do a "two stack at a time" strat. Put the boss in for 2 stacks, then take him out. Before the buff expires, put him in for another 2 stacks, then take him out. Lastly, put him in for 2 final stacks (6 total) and pull him out. Let the buff fall off and have the adds pop out. Get all adds on you with 1 hammer and stop attacking them. At that point, have each DPS pull an add off of you, and outside the outer ring (that shoots up the flames). Have them solo the add outside. This works best with Taunts and Distracting Shot. I wouldn't recommend them trying to DPS the add to get it off you, they might kill it under him. You can Crusader Strike and WoG to ease the healers a bit. Once the adds are all down and DPS are back in, drag the boss in for another 6 stacks, 2 at a time.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!!
Anubisknight

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:16 am

I didn't notice this when the debuff duration hotfix went in, but Karsh's hitbox on heroic is truly tiny now, smaller than a player's. This makes positioning him much much easier.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Previous

Return to Normal and Heroic 5-Man Dungeons