New Paladin Tanking Tools, promised but NYI

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

New Paladin Tanking Tools, promised but NYI

Postby obeyfez » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:42 am

I'm trying to remember all the new tools the developers have promised paladin tanks, but have not yet implemented. These new tools were promised either at Blizzcon at the developer panels or by Ghostcrawler in forum posts. I hoped that most of these new tools would be implemented before Cataclysm, but looking at the latest 4.0.3a patch notes, it does not look like it will be the case. The Big 3 that I can think of are:

1. Grand Crusader fix - the developers agreed to fix our proc to make it more viable in our rotation (I think they actually said at Blizzcon that they would make the talent better than Reckoning, but I hope they understood the real issue behind the problem).

2. Divine Plea gives 3 Holy Power - Ghostcrawler posted that they would implement this to give us instant threat off the pull with a 3 HoPo ShoR (as well a Holy Shield).

3. Hammer of Justice off the GCD - Ghostcrawler posted that the tech behind this may take time to implement, but that it would be provided to us deep in a prot talent.

Are there any other tools that the developers have promised but have not yet implemented? And any guesses as to when these may be implemented?
obeyfez

Re: New Paladin Tanking Tools, promised but NYI

Postby Malthrax » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:51 am

I don't recall anyone from Activision|Blizzard ever using the words "We Promise" in any discussion, in person or via the forums, surrounding paladin tanking mechanics.
Malthrax

Postby degre » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:59 am

There are 3 weeks to release in which anything could happen, but it is also to considered that not only they havent promised anything, but even when something was in fact promised they never had any issue taking such promise back.

So, what are we talking about? Last I've heard weather in Turkey was a hot topic.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby obeyfez » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:17 am

I guess "promised" was the wrong word. I'm not trying to qq here, I'm just trying to remember all the possible changes that were discussed and which have not yet been implemented.

How about this: Instead of "promised", I'd like to know of any other new paladin tanking abilities referenced by the developers, and if the developers felt so inclined to bestow upon us, perhaps they would implement some of those abilities. :)
obeyfez

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:21 am

Oh for goodness sakes, enough on the semantics of a "promise" already. There's plenty of useful discussion to be had about things that blizzard said they'd like to address, what has been addressed, what hasn't, etc.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dantriges » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:47 am

Isn´t HoPo from Divine Plea implemented on the Beta? Not sure, not playing in the Beta, but thought so.

The hammer of Justice change is something they think about and will perhaps implement in a later patch. I think the ruled out that it would be available at launch if they implement it all.
Dantriges

Postby Candiru » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:59 am

Hammer of justice change required a change in "tech" rather than just a change in the HammerOfJustice spell definition. They want to make the change, but it will require some programmer time (and testing, to make sure they haven't broken anything else) which probably means it won't happen until after Cata is released. At the moment spells are either on or off the GCD and talents cannot affect this.
Candiru

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:04 am

Dantriges wrote:Isn´t HoPo from Divine Plea implemented on the Beta? Not sure, not playing in the Beta, but thought so.

The hammer of Justice change is something they think about and will perhaps implement in a later patch. I think the ruled out that it would be available at launch if they implement it all.

Yeah, Divine Plea HoPo is certainly implemented.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Phonic » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:14 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Yeah, Divine Plea HoPo is certainly implemented.

^ and it's so beautiful (and necessary too) :p
Phonic

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:13 am

Candiru wrote:Hammer of justice change required a change in "tech" rather than just a change in the HammerOfJustice spell definition. They want to make the change, but it will require some programmer time (and testing, to make sure they haven't broken anything else) which probably means it won't happen until after Cata is released. At the moment spells are either on or off the GCD and talents cannot affect this.

I was wondering about this yesterday. Mages currently have a glyph that removes the GCD from three of their spells while a cooldown is active. I would have thought the tech for a glyph to remove a GCD would be no different from that to make a talent do the same.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shoju » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:57 pm

The tech is there. You have the mage glyph, and they admitted that Trap launcher was calling a new version of the trap spells, and that is what was causing the macro issue.

if glyph can call new spell, and if spell can call new spell, then ideally, talent can call new spell is just an implementation thing, that will require resources currently allocated to Cata.

I expect it pre-t12.
Shoju

Postby towelliee » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:31 pm

I think before Cata hits we will see a change to WoG GBTL and Grand Crusader without a doubt.
towelliee

Postby Dantriges » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:32 pm

It´s more or less an excuse. Tree of Life changes the effect of several spells, soulburn turns spells into different versions, they took spells off the gcd all the time. Their encounter design team already assumes that tanks have interrupts. It wouldn´t be so hard to just give us Rebuke or implement this talent if they are so fixated upon cramming intterupt ability into Hammer of Justice, instead of just giving us an interrupt not tied to a one minute stun.
Dantriges

Postby masterpoobaa » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:08 pm

What precisely was the suggested fix to Grand crusader?
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby d503 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:12 pm

masterpoobaa wrote:What precisely was the suggested fix to Grand crusader?

None that I've seen...
d503

Next

Return to Cataclysm