Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Tauren Paladin Tier 11 is SEXY

Postby Dantriges » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Brr, no thanks.
Dantriges

Postby Neptuno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:wow that color scheme is very different from mmo-c's preview pics... also there is a dude on your belt.

As you know, it is customary for Tanks to have faces on their armor. Since Paladin armor has no faces on it(excluding the duck shoulders), the belt makes up for this error.

non-tier icc gear had the face in the shoulders
Neptuno

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:47 am

Neptuno wrote:non-tier icc gear had the face in the shoulders

sir you seem to have mispronounced "warrior and dk tier" as "non-tier icc gear"
Invisusira

Postby Palisade » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:25 am

That tier looks horribad. WTF was Blizz thinking? They should fire whatever artist created this. Said person was obviously incapable of any creative thought worth the effort. Said person NEEDS to be on drugs, because they are obviously not very creative other wise.
Palisade

Postby Goins2754 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 am

Palisade wrote:That tier looks horribad. WTF was Blizz thinking? They should fire whatever artist created this. Said person was obviously incapable of any creative thought worth the effort. Said person NEEDS to be on drugs, because they are obviously not very creative other wise.

Somehow, I feel there's really a disconnect between the art department and the animation (?) department (whoever puts the stuff in game). When I see the artwork for this stuff, I think "Damn, that's epic!" Then I see the models in game and I think, "Damn. :*( "

The same thing happened with several tiers of content past. I remember seeing some drawing of, IIRC, Tier 8 that was just epic. It looked like Alexander from FF, IMO. Then, it gets to game and we have little torches on our shoulders. WTF?

Same thing happened this time around with the warrior gear. I saw the artwork and though, "DAMN! That's epic." Then when they put it in game and colored it turquoise, I thought, "Damn. :*( "
Goins2754

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:32 am

The concept -> in game problem has been one of my biggest long-standing gripes. However, there are a couple things to consider as to why the stuff ends up this way. (Both of these points are also why we will never see armor dyes, btw.)

1) The game engine is f'ing OLD. It looked dated when it was released. It gets away with it because the animation and characterization is superb and the stylization of it all works in the end, but there's no getting around that the engine they're working with has SEVERE limitations to what it can and cannot do.

2) Blizzard wants variety in its classes and shapes. Sure, armor looks cool in a monochrome palette, but it also all starts looking the same. If you look back through the tiers, you'll notice that very few of them have multiple classes using the same color palettes or similar silhouettes (T9 is not a real tier shut up). Blizzard's in-game art developers have usually been careful to make it simple to be able to tell someone's class just at a glance.
Invisusira

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:59 am

I'd be happier if their art people knew color theory in the first place.

I got several friends that work in the arts & design business (and play wow) and they are aghast at some of the tiers.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Griffith » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:46 am

Klaudandus wrote:I'd be happier if their art people knew color theory in the first place.

I got several friends that work in the arts & design business (and play wow) and they are aghast at some of the tiers.

you could say that about any part of the game.

Coders are aghast at the way scripts are written(how many threads have you read, not here prolly, about saving code)
Writers are aghast at the way the lore is presented(red shirt guy, lol)
Game developers are aghast at the gameplay(gameplay balance etc)

Fact is, we are nitpicking here. No matter how right something may be, someone will find something wrong with it
Griffith

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:54 am

Perhaps, but color theory is amongst the first things you learn in graphics, design and illustration -- or at least you're supposed to.

Really not asking much, am I?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Palisade » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:18 am

The color could be better, but I doubt that would help much.
Palisade

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:30 am

Klaudandus wrote:Perhaps, but color theory is amongst the first things you learn in graphics, design and illustration -- or at least you're supposed to.

Really not asking much, am I?

I think if you actually intend to make claims about what Blizzard's designers do or do not know from looking at the end result in game then you're being horribly shortsighted and unfair.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:39 am

I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna back down from my claim.

Preliminary T9 for Horde Paladins is a good example. They were using a Red, Chatreuse and Orange-Yellow as the main scheme, too bad it doesnt fall anywhere near what true tri-color schemes are: Split-Complementary and Tri-adic. It was only aggravated because they were using two tertiary colors, and let's not even go with hue/saturation.

Luckily, the art team actually fixed that and went with a duochrome theme instead, but Color Theory can make or break a design.

And this is something I got to know by hanging out with my friends who are actually colorists for IDW and Disney. My disney friend actually wanted to stab her eyes out after seeing the troll bear/cat forms.

Actually, I should give the team props for T10, they got it mostly right but that's because they went mostly with Duochrome themes for plate. The only exception was the 251ilvl Paladin set, but it was actually done properly.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Zobel » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:04 pm

Klaudandus wrote:And this is something I got to know by hanging out with my friends who are actually colorists for IDW and Disney. My disney friend actually wanted to stab her eyes out after seeing the troll bear/cat forms.

Little known fact: 70% of Disney colorists can neither recognize nor appreciate farce when they see it.
Zobel

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:09 pm

She was a colorist, later moved to the storyboard section but she doesn't work there anymore. She quit. She's currently working on her masters. =P

Either way, it doesn't matter, Color Theory -IS- Color Theory, and you have to learn it, whether you go to Cornish, or SCAD, or any other Art & Design program.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Goins2754 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Invisusira wrote:The concept -> in game problem has been one of my biggest long-standing gripes. However, there are a couple things to consider as to why the stuff ends up this way. (Both of these points are also why we will never see armor dyes, btw.)

1) The game engine is f'ing OLD. It looked dated when it was released. It gets away with it because the animation and characterization is superb and the stylization of it all works in the end, but there's no getting around that the engine they're working with has SEVERE limitations to what it can and cannot do.

2) Blizzard wants variety in its classes and shapes. Sure, armor looks cool in a monochrome palette, but it also all starts looking the same. If you look back through the tiers, you'll notice that very few of them have multiple classes using the same color palettes or similar silhouettes (T9 is not a real tier shut up). Blizzard's in-game art developers have usually been careful to make it simple to be able to tell someone's class just at a glance.

Responses to 1 & 2:

1) I'd definitely appreciate a graphics engine update, though, the "cartoon" look is what makes WoW, WoW. I don't want them to update the graphics engine and try to force everything to look like CoD, God of War, or anything that tries to pull off "realism." Part of the enjoyment of the cartoon look is that whole superhero feel. Everyone in WoW is chiseled and barrel-chested or "came from the Victoria's Secret catalogue." It should stay that way. Give them their updated tools and capabilities, update the polygon counts, but don't lose this facet that defines WoW graphics in the mix.

2) I think a slight argument could be made against this statement with the recent push to end "clown-suits" by homogenizing gear. I think that they're more willing to do this, but I agree that they steer away from it for Tier sets. Now, I don't think Tier sets should look, or even be colored the same, but I mean, come on. Some of these armor sets are outlandish! If I were to make a suggestion to Blizzard, I'd say they should pick a class color and stick with that.

If they defined class by color (and paladins should be GOLD, not pink) then they could end the cross-tier clown-suit effect with some effort. For example, upgrading from T5 to T6 left you in this mesh of bright pink / gold armor. Ugh. Similarly, the cross from T9 - T10 wasn't exactly pleasing to the eye. If you could, within reason, define paladins as "gold" then most of the armors could play off that theme. As you tier up, your armors would reasonably mesh together. Every armor set wouldn't be the same, of course.

Similarly, warriors could stick with the earthy browns or metallics. Shamans with their lightning blue, druids with earth browns / greens / leaf motif. Rogues could generally be blacks / shadowy stuff. Etc.

I think that would really be much better than this crazy, willy-nilly, do what you want every tier that we're suffering through.
Goins2754

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm