Remove Advertisements

What gear is needed for the first couple of instances?

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: What gear is needed for the first couple of instances?

Postby dmok » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:51 am

Palisade wrote:Nice glyph!

Does Fear have diminishing returns on NPCs or just PCs?

I don't think anything has diminishing returns on NPCs, with the sole exception of the ravager bleed debuff from hunters ... though that is a bug and hopefully has been fixed by now.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Non » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:13 pm

Warlocks are one of the best CC classes in cata. Glyphed Fear, Seduce and Banish
Last edited by Non on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
**"It's no secret that any correspondence between what Non says and the truth is purely coincidental"
Non

Postby Belloc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:41 pm

dmok wrote:

I don't think anything has diminishing returns on NPCs, with the sole exception of the ravager bleed debuff from hunters ... though that is a bug and hopefully has been fixed by now.

Stuns have diminishing returns on NPCs, but that should be it.

Also, last I heard, that fear glyph was bugged so that it changes nothing.
Belloc

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 pm

i was going to point out the fear glyph for locks it combined with banish makes them one of the top, if no the top, cc class in this xpac, being elemental themed

that said, back to the OP's ?

i would think if you get drops and are friends with a BS you should be fine for gear while leveling, use the BS to make anything you are lacking from drops, and if it was someone like me, ill be making that crap anyway for my self, and to level BS so here is free gear!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Linguist » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Not one of you addressed any part of my question.

Please. I really need this answers ASAP.

We do not want to use ANY CC for at all. The only times CC is needed, is instructed on the cataclysm guide for instances, which is so sparse, it almost doesn't count.

Again. Please re-read my question. I have heard that instances will be like BC again, but I'm getting confused as to if that is heroics or regular. I'm assuming its the heroics.

Also, please do not tell me what we need for CC. There is about 15 posts about CC. We are using this group, because this is our classes. We do NOT want to use CC primarily because we are going for SERVER FIRST. We already have almost everything worked out. All we need is someone to tank, which is supposed to be me. So I need to work on my gear to see if it's good enough, but if not, then someone else is going to do it.

So please, help.
Linguist

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:46 pm

bldavis wrote:that said, back to the OP's ?

i would think if you get drops and are friends with a BS you should be fine for gear while leveling, use the BS to make anything you are lacking from drops, and if it was someone like me, ill be making that crap anyway for my self, and to level BS so here is free gear!

i believe i did address your question

and why do you need answers asap? cata is still a month away, and you should be able to go stright to vashir/Hyjal from IC/SP as soon as you ding 80, so if you ahve any raid gear from WotLK you should be fine

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby AriKT » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Linguist wrote:Not one of you addressed any part of my question.

Please. I really need this answers ASAP.

We do not want to use ANY CC for at all. The only times CC is needed, is instructed on the cataclysm guide for instances, which is so sparse, it almost doesn't count.

Again. Please re-read my question. I have heard that instances will be like BC again, but I'm getting confused as to if that is heroics or regular. I'm assuming its the heroics.

Also, please do not tell me what we need for CC. There is about 15 posts about CC. We are using this group, because this is our classes. We do NOT want to use CC primarily because we are going for SERVER FIRST. We already have almost everything worked out. All we need is someone to tank, which is supposed to be me. So I need to work on my gear to see if it's good enough, but if not, then someone else is going to do it.

So please, help.

Your gear isn't going to determine whether you need CC or not. In full 277 ICC gear, you still needed CC on the Beta.

Your gear will catch up very fast, even the level 80 Green items are pretty close to 277 Epic gear, and in some cases the green will have less stats but the Armor is higher than 277 Epics. You should be able to get a full set of green drops/quest items/crafted very quickly and be on par with mostly 277 geared tanks.

Even is BiS gear from Wrath, you will need CC. Dungeons are not the fastest way to level. Some dungeons take a long time, especially during the learning phase.
AriKT

Postby AriKT » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Belloc wrote:
dmok wrote:

Is that a new bug recently? Because it was definately working before.
AriKT

Postby Linguist » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:02 pm

bldavis wrote:
bldavis wrote:that said, back to the OP's ?

i believe i did address your question

and why do you need answers asap? cata is still a month away, and you should be able to go stright to vashir/Hyjal from IC/SP as soon as you ding 80, so if you ahve any raid gear from WotLK you should be fine

Sorry, I did not see your reply. Thank you.

I need the answers ASAP, due to my slot. If I can't tank, someone else is going to transfer early and just tank for them instead. I really want to be apart of this, because we will also be LANing....so yeah. I'm not sure if my gear will still be good enough.

AriKT wrote:Your gear isn't going to determine whether you need CC or not. In full 277 ICC gear, you still needed CC on the Beta.

Your gear will catch up very fast, even the level 80 Green items are pretty close to 277 Epic gear, and in some cases the green will have less stats but the Armor is higher than 277 Epics. You should be able to get a full set of green drops/quest items/crafted very quickly and be on par with mostly 277 geared tanks.

Even is BiS gear from Wrath, you will need CC. Dungeons are not the fastest way to level. Some dungeons take a long time, especially during the learning phase.

I see. But I cannot quest. As, when it's 12:00am we are going to log in and start instancing ASAP. We also have a friend who has a beta account, but he has only quested and doesn't play that much. We are going to study the dungeons, so learning won't be much of a problem.

So, I need to know if CC is 100% needed or not. To me, in the videos, it isn't. Only sparsely on some pulls. But other than that, I don't see the need for CC as much.
Linguist

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:05 pm

as long as you have some raid gear from cata and a good spec you should be fine
get some loot drops and make friends with a bs are going to help out the most

that said, GL and i hope this does work out for you

bldavis

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 pm

I would be kind of concerned about going in to BRC, expecting to AoE down everything with that level of gear. I think you might find you have aggro issues, not to mention the healer going insane.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby AriKT » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:14 pm

You can't start instancing right away. You need to discover the dungeons before you can use the LFD tool to teleport in.

The early instances you can get away without CC, but CC helps a lot on some of the pulls. You have a Rogue and a Mage, so its not like you are sparse on CC. Throne of Tides and BR Caverns aren't that bad without CCing, but you will absolutely not be AoEing them all down. Healers need to be focused or interupted, and some pulls have 1 or 2 mobs that are far more dangerous than the others. Some pulls are pure AoE, these usually consist of many low HP mobs. Some pulls are AoE + 2 or 3 that need to be single targetted after AoE kills the weaker mobs.

FYI, if your gear is behind and you aren't going to quest you're more likely going to need to do some CC. Some trash hits relatively hard and not CCing will make it really hard to keep an undergeared tank up. Also, they are using CC in most of those Vids, and they are never AoEing down packs that aren't the low HP many mob packs.
Last edited by AriKT on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AriKT

Postby thatguy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 pm

I may be mistaken, but I thought you had physically find the new dungeons or you had to do some quest chains that lead up to the dungeon in order to do the Cata dungeons. So at 12:01, you can't just queue up for those dungeons.

Also, haven't beta testers shown that questing is actually the faster way to level? I guess I might also be worried about instances being buggy. H: HoR was buggy where you couldn't set foot on the ship the first night it was relased. Maybe I'm too conservative but I'd take the safer route and quest while relying heavily on No-Doze, Red Bull, and a supply of Clif Bars in my reach.
thatguy

Postby Linguist » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:21 pm

thatguy wrote:I may be mistaken, but I thought you had physically find the new dungeons or you had to do some quest chains that lead up to the dungeon in order to do the Cata dungeons. So at 12:01, you can't just queue up for those dungeons.

Also, haven't beta testers shown that questing is actually the faster way to level? I guess I might also be worried about instances being buggy. H: HoR was buggy where you couldn't set foot on the ship the first night it was relased. Maybe I'm too conservative but I'd take the safer route and quest while relying heavily on No-Doze, Red Bull, and a supply of Clif Bars in my reach.

Yes I know you have to physically find them.

Also, we are on a 1:4 ratio of Alliance to Horde. Questing will be near impossible.
Linguist

Postby Ryyu » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Belloc wrote:
dmok wrote:

Been using this as CC since lvl 25, no DR on 99% of NPCs.

Edit, I managed the first 2 as tank in 264 Sans CC easy, I went and decked myself out in full blue and epic lvl 200 Shit with all my left over Badges (this was at the start) and tried again without CC.

While not easy, It was still doable, some of the BRC packs will destroy you mind. but ToT is easy.
Last edited by Ryyu on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryyu

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm