Professions

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Professions

Postby Neptuno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:57 am

KysenMurrin wrote:The Alchemy arena flasks give you just enough to match profession bonuses from other profs. They don't need the mixology bonus to serve their purpose.

yep, except it's specific by class so it's only a match if thats your stat you want most. i was just saying that the post said they were 'mixology bonus in a bottle' which wasn't correct. they give the profession bonus in a bottle as you stated
Neptuno

Postby Guisado » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:39 am

hola! I have a doubt and I would like to know in alchemy the flashk 300 of stamina as the bond goes up with alchemy and I think that is 50 percent higher so 450 of stamina would not? so it would win 150 instead of 120, someone in the beta has been shown the benefits of alchemy in the tank? Thank you
Guisado

Postby Neptuno » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Guisado wrote:hola! I have a doubt and I would like to know in alchemy the flashk 300 of stamina as the bond goes up with alchemy and I think that is 50 percent higher so 450 of stamina would not? so it would win 150 instead of 120, someone in the beta has been shown the benefits of alchemy in the tank? Thank you

mixology isn't 50%, it varies by the flask or elixir so they could possibly increase it to match depending on the attention given by blizzard
Neptuno

Postby Shathus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm currently mining/eng. I'd like to drop mining for BS, I just don't know if I have the patience to level it. If nothing else I'll probably gather for awhile, sell mats and level engineering to max, then go back and do BS when prices may have died down somewhat. Still have mining on my druid for JC anyways.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Neptuno » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Shathus wrote:I'm currently mining/eng. I'd like to drop mining for BS, I just don't know if I have the patience to level it. If nothing else I'll probably gather for awhile, sell mats and level engineering to max, then go back and do BS when prices may have died down somewhat. Still have mining on my druid for JC anyways.

(
not sure about your server, but there's people that sell kits for ~5k that get you 1-450. (or buy what you find reasonable for ~2.5k and farm the rest)
Neptuno

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:13 am

If you already have any gathering profession maxxed, it might make sense to keep it until you hit 85 before dropping it for something else. That XP gain from gathering is nice.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Digren » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:43 am

halabar wrote:If you already have any gathering profession maxxed, it might make sense to keep it until you hit 85 before dropping it for something else. That XP gain from gathering is nice.

XP gain from gathering? what what?

(slowly takes finger off the "Delete Mining" button)
Digren

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:47 am

Digren wrote:
halabar wrote:If you already have any gathering profession maxxed, it might make sense to keep it until you hit 85 before dropping it for something else. That XP gain from gathering is nice.

XP gain from gathering? what what?

(slowly takes finger off the "Delete Mining" button)

news sooo ooooold :P
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Braundo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 am

I'm probably going to stick with Mining regardless, even though it seems like not many others here share my plan. I don't want to have to level up a secondary character just to be able to mine ore for my Jewelcrafting -- not to mention that if I replace Mining with, say, Blacksmithing, I'll suddenly have two professions depending on ore rather than just one. The extra Blacksmithing sockets definitely give more flexibility to put in different types of gems, but if you use them for straight Stamina gems the bonus from Mining is almost identical.

Maybe I'll change my tune later, but I find it really convenient to be able to mine with my main while I'm out doing other stuff, rather than having to maintain an alt to do so, mail my mats back and forth, etc.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:56 am

Braundo wrote:I'm probably going to stick with Mining regardless, even though it seems like not many others here share my plan. I don't want to have to level up a secondary character just to be able to mine ore for my Jewelcrafting -- not to mention that if I replace Mining with, say, Blacksmithing, I'll suddenly have two professions depending on ore rather than just one. The extra Blacksmithing sockets definitely give more flexibility to put in different types of gems, but if you use them for straight Stamina gems the bonus from Mining is almost identical.

Maybe I'll change my tune later, but I find it really convenient to be able to mine with my main while I'm out doing other stuff, rather than having to maintain an alt to do so, mail my mats back and forth, etc.

Yeah no I agree with you. I've kept every single profession I've ever started on my characters. Never re-rolled a single one. I've had Mining/Blacksmithing on my Pally since November 2004 (or before that if you count beta) so I will have them until the game shuts down.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby culhag » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:58 am

halabar wrote:That XP gain from gathering is nice.

Not to mention the money.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:00 am

LOL

Mining/Herbing grant XP on some weird calculcation that I've not been able to figure out yet. OL and NR nodes seem to give a much larger % of level than Old World nodes
Palisade

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Palisade wrote:LOL

Mining/Herbing grant XP on some weird calculcation that I've not been able to figure out yet. OL and NR nodes seem to give a much larger % of level than Old World nodes

Yeah, I just went back to test mining XP finally, and while running around I was in northrend for a bit. Tiger Lilies gave me ~1650 xp rested, while adder's tongue gave me 4300 rested. Contrast that with pyrium and twilight jasmine (top end cata mats) giving me 4400 rested. I would imagine herbing your way through your 70s would go very quickly.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Palisade wrote:LOL

Strangest part is it goes up and down a bit, assumably on the item level. But, it also doesn't pay to go to far above your level range either (zone wise), there is a cap it appears.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Digren » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Braundo wrote:I'm probably going to stick with Mining regardless, even though it seems like not many others here share my plan. I don't want to have to level up a secondary character just to be able to mine ore for my Jewelcrafting -- not to mention that if I replace Mining with, say, Blacksmithing, I'll suddenly have two professions depending on ore rather than just one. The extra Blacksmithing sockets definitely give more flexibility to put in different types of gems, but if you use them for straight Stamina gems the bonus from Mining is almost identical.

Yeah no I agree with you. I've kept every single profession I've ever started on my characters. Never re-rolled a single one. I've had Mining/Blacksmithing on my Pally since November 2004 (or before that if you count beta) so I will have them until the game shuts down.

I'm in the same boat - except they put in enchanting BoP noncombat pets. I'm going to have to sacrifice something, and I think my mining will have to go.

That said, I'm not in a huge rush. Right now the decision is between dropping mining now so I can be a max enchanter asap (and make more money that way) or keeping mining to fuel engineering asap. Apparently if I keep mining I can get experience from it, too, so that might tip the balance towards keeping it.
Digren

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm