Remove Advertisements

Professions

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Professions

Postby lythac » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:08 am

Most likely the other professions will have their bonus boosted to meet Blacksmithing new bonus (should be 150sta). Happened to the dragons eyes when epic gems came out (also were changed from prismatic to non prismatic).
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2671
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am

Re: Professions

Postby Marsha » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:19 am

50 expertise on my bracers is what I'll be using at 85. It rocks.
User avatar
Marsha
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 am

Re: Professions

Postby Tantrim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:20 am

lythac wrote:Your way looking at final numbers puts JC at 303 and BS at 120. Does that sound right to you?

Thats not what i get from final numbers no.. you compare the bonuses.. bonuses are not final numbers.

i posted above

me wrote:Assuming 3 jc only sta gems and a +40 sta wrist enchant you get 101*3+40 = 343
Assuming 5 sta gens (60 sta) 2 of them in bs only sockets and a +40 wrist enchant you get 60*5+40 = 340
Assuming 3 sta gems (60 sta) and a +195 sta wrist enchant you get 60*3+195 = 375


So the final numbers as far as i am concerned, when cutting to the meat of what can be compared, are not what you say they are. The relevant final numbers are imo: JC 343, BS 340, LW 375

Granted your way is better for some things but since neither is 'my' way i shouldnt care

The above way for combining jc and lw:
recalculate it.. 3 sockets with 101 gems, 1 wrist enchant at 195: 303+195=498

You way for combining lw and jc:
JC is a bonus above normal of 123, LW is a bonus of 155, jc+lw is 278 above normal

or bs and jc
the above way? yeah recalculate again
5 sockets, 3 at 101, 2 at 60, 1 wrist at 40: 303+120+40=463

your way:
jc bonus is 123, bs bonus is 120, jc+bs is 243

(normal is 3 sockets at 60 and a 40 sta wrist enchant for 220 base.. which is the difference so it adds up)

That is the strength of your way.. the reason your way is the suggested way, it makes some things easier..

However, as should be obvious, the explanation of 'your' way is lacking, the conversation didnt go in a way where it seemed like it was being understood.. hence i took a path that was a slight detour.. the result as far as this debate was concerned would be the same, which professions were how good was obvious.. though apparantly even if it wasnt the suggested path it would appear that largely it was conductive for in the end getting the comparison to work.. go figure..
Tantrim
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 am

Re: Professions

Postby Anubelle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks for all the responses.

I'll stick with Enchanting as my primary profession no matter what. I've trained it the evening I created Anubelle and I've got basically every enchant in the game (damn you Lesser Block).

I made the original post to fish for advice on what to do with my second profession, currently being Jewelcrafting. If the stamina difference is very small I'm thinking about going for Engineering, simply because Rocket Boots have an enormous situational use and the gloves rocket thingy is basically another ranged threat tool.

LW is also a consideration. There's no Cataclysm Stamina enchant on bracers for now and I'm not looking forward to having 3K - 4K health less than a LW Tauren Paladin with the same gear.

Anyway I'm glad I made this post. Someone mentioned the availability of the Figurine - Earthen Guardian trinket and that alone guarantees that it's worth it to stick to JC for at least the first few weeks of the expansion.

*edit* Apparently the JC trinket also spawns a guardian when you active the Use effect. +1 JC.
Last edited by Anubelle on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anubelle
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:11 am

Re: Professions

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:27 am

Exactly. It was the 'path' I was trying to understand. 2+2 is 4. 1+1+1+1 is 4. It was the difference of 2+2 vs 1+1+1+1 that I was having difficulty grasping. To me, 2+2 is the easier and more easily grasped method. (Yes, I'm intentionally using super stupid #'s here.)

The reason I belabor the issue is because I am currently a BS/JC and considering dropping BS for Engi. I dropped Engi for BS back in BC, because the goggles never upgraded. I don't want to relevel Engi and then have the same deal all over again come Cata. But if the cog bonuses are worth it, well then they're worth it.

As to the bracer slot... 50 Expertise is HUGE
Palisade
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:48 pm
Location: Aerie Peak - US

Re: Professions

Postby Malthrax » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:29 am

Palisade wrote:Exactly. It was the 'path' I was trying to understand. 2+2 is 4.


only for sufficiently average values of '2'.
User avatar
Malthrax
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 am

Re: Professions

Postby Braundo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:32 am

Anubelle wrote:Anyway I'm glad I made this post. Someone mentioned the availability of the Figurine - Earthen Guardian trinket and that alone guarantees that it's worth it to stick to JC for at least the first few weeks of the expansion.

The other thing that I noticed is that (well, based on the data we have available now, anyway) the JC-only trinkets aren't Unique-Equipped like previous ones have been. You couldn't use both Use effects, but you could stack two to get an easy Stamina boost while starting out, perhaps.

There's another trinket with Mastery that could be stackable in the same way, potentially.
User avatar
Braundo
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:14 am
Location: Wiping your raids

Re: Professions

Postby Tantrim » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:34 am

Palisade wrote:The reason I belabor the issue is because I am currently a BS/JC and considering dropping BS for Engi. I dropped Engi for BS back in BC, because the goggles never upgraded. I don't want to relevel Engi and then have the same deal all over again come Cata. But if the cog bonuses are worth it, well then they're worth it.

I am bs engineer. By the numbers it would be hard to do worse, maybe going for skinning herbalism or some such would work. but bs engineer sounds so right i am gonna stay that way
Tantrim
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 am

Re: Professions

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:35 am

Good call Braundo. Two mastery trinks might help you get block capped (or close enough to) for leveling in stance purposes.

I'll likely keep BS/JC for the extra 2 gems slots, at least until 85.
Palisade
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:48 pm
Location: Aerie Peak - US

Re: Professions

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 am

Long term however, those trinkets are useless.

Yeah they're fantastic for the level 85 starter raid gear, but I imagine you'll end up replacing them rather quickly.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11000
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Professions

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:37 am

But they'll be worth having in the mean time. EVERYTHING gets replaced in this game, "eventually"
Palisade
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:48 pm
Location: Aerie Peak - US

Re: Professions

Postby Malthrax » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 am

Palisade wrote:But they'll be worth having in the mean time. EVERYTHING gets replaced in this game, "eventually"


Even major lore figures!
User avatar
Malthrax
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 am

Re: Professions

Postby Anubelle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 am

Palisade wrote:As to the bracer slot... 50 Expertise is HUGE

Indeed. But going by the way Vengeance currently works and how mechanics are now -- and this is just a personal opinion of course -- threat stats are more or less meaningless compared to being able to maximize your survivability.

Nikechelle wrote:Long term however, those trinkets are useless.

Yeah they're fantastic for the level 85 starter raid gear, but I imagine you'll end up replacing them rather quickly.

I'm personally only interested in making a good decision for the first few weeks of the expansion. Planning or discussing how things will be later on seems a little pointless since all of this can change after a couple of minor patches.
Anubelle
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:11 am

Re: Professions

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:39 am

Palisade wrote:But they'll be worth having in the mean time. EVERYTHING gets replaced in this game, "eventually"

Certain things don't. For example, JC gets prismatics gems (I'm assuming the same in Cataclysm), this never goes away as you can use it every time with new gear. Whereas Alchemy gets that +stamina trinket (their stone thingy), but they'll end up replacing that pretty early on and will have no way to gain that extra bit of stamina on a regular basis.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11000
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Professions

Postby Braundo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 am

Nikachelle wrote:Long term however, those trinkets are useless.

Yeah they're fantastic for the level 85 starter raid gear, but I imagine you'll end up replacing them rather quickly.

Of course -- that's pretty well understood, I think. It's an extra perk at the start of the expansion, which becomes meaningless after a few weeks or months. After that, all we have to fall back on is the Chimera's Eyes. Which are (roughly) equivalent to most other professions' perks.
User avatar
Braundo
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:14 am
Location: Wiping your raids

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest