BlizzCon Class Q&A

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

BlizzCon Class Q&A

Postby xstrykr » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Just heard this from the BlizzCon Class Q&A:
Q: Holy Power generation is gimped for generation of threat overall. Do you have any plans to give Judgment a guaranteed proc for Holy Power? Or maybe a chance to proc free Holy Power? Do you have any ideas to fix this problem?
A: One trap we want to avoid is that you can keep Inquisition and Holy Shield up at the same time. We don't want you to have both of your "finishers" that buff you up at the same time.

But one problem is warriors are generating too much threat. We fixed that last week.

We changed it so Divine Plea will generate 3 Holy Power when used so you can start with Holy Power on the pull.

Guess we can expect this in a future beta build?

Note - will edit with the actual question and answers once it's been posted on MMO-Champion... but this was pretty major that I wanted to get across.

Edited with the correct Q/A
xstrykr

Re: BlizzCon Class Q&A

Postby Feanorion » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:00 pm

So we can have back-to-back 3 combo point SotR's every 2 minutes? :D
Feanorion

Postby Phonic » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Also, someone just asked a relatively eloquent question about Grand Crusader. GC answered and pretty much likes the proc style and for now said that no changes are planned and will up the damage if the dps isn't up to the point where you want to hit it.

So I don't see any changes to GC until after 85 at best.

DP will pop 3 HoPo!!!! Yay! We can start with an immediate SoTR!! Awesome!

Phonic

Postby Arjuna » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:26 pm

not only can we start off with a big threat move, we'll have holy shield up from the start as well! :D
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Sonic » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Hmm the unexpected. That will cause some major chaos in pvp methinks. Still very nice to open big.

Now if they would just remove inquisition and make wrath or conc use HoPo.
Sonic

Postby xstrykr » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Phonic wrote:Also, someone just asked a relatively eloquent question about Grand Crusader. GC answered and pretty much likes the proc style and for now said that no changes are planned and will up the damage if the dps isn't up to the point where you want to hit it.

So I don't see any changes to GC until after 85 at best.

DP will pop 3 HoPo!!!! Yay! We can start with an immediate SoTR!! Awesome! 

I'm definitely liking the change to Plea. I think it'll help a lot with making sure we get that burst threat right from the get-go, similar to how Warriors/Druids can Bloodrage(Bloodthirst?)/Enrage then Charge. Not sure what the DK opener is, though I assume there's an analogous opener.

I don't foresee anything changing to GrC for the time being either. I personally would like it to affect ALL our AoE abilities - that way we can use the proc for whatever we need - but I don't see that happening, just like the chance for GrC to generate more HoPo is unlikely.
xstrykr

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:30 pm

xstrykr wrote:Not sure what the DK opener is, though I assume there's an analogous opener.

The closest for an opener would be their level 81 Outbreak, which instantly applies diseases and would let them open with a high damage cycle. There's also Empower Runic Weapon, which is more a mid-fight thing, but it does instantly restore all their runes.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Neptuno » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:24 am

Another thing is having the absorb from GbtL actually happen on a pull if you're raiding with plenty of hunters/rogues.
Neptuno

Postby Sober » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:59 am

Nice they finally gave DP a purpose again after making it a 2min CD and drastically nerfing the mana return while keeping the healing debuff. At least now everyone has a reason to pop it. Does it grant 3 HoPo on press? I could see alot of pallies mostly popping it and then cancelling it in pvp to get the holy power immediately or something.
Sober

Postby Phonic » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:12 pm

Sober wrote:Nice they finally gave DP a purpose again after making it a 2min CD and drastically nerfing the mana return while keeping the healing debuff. At least now everyone has a reason to pop it. Does it grant 3 HoPo on press? I could see alot of pallies mostly popping it and then cancelling it in pvp to get the holy power immediately or something.

Looking like this will be prot only.
Phonic

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:15 am

Here is the rest of the Q&As for our class

Q: Can Grand Crusade be changed to proc other effects so it's not worse than Reckoning?
A: We definitely want to tweak it so that it's not weaker than Reckoning, but that is mostly numbers not adding more effects.

Q: Other classes have multiple types of schools, Paladins holy only. And there's nothing to allow you to resist it. Why is that? It makes them feel like a steamroller.
A: That's why we've changed it over time for Ret to have more physical abilities than holy. We can't really give them another school because they're... holy. As a quick followup, holy doesn't really have as much of an advantage anymore, because we don't really make gear with resists anymore. If you're losing to a paladin it's probably not because of holy damage.

Q: Why did you add Holy Power? Where did it come from to give Paladins combo points?
A: We decided mana feels good until it runs out. It's dependable over short periods of time then it goes away. The idea was "Oh the mana bar constantly goes down, then it gets filled again." You were playing off of cooldowns, playing whack-a-mole.

Ultimately they needed a real resource. Sort of that build up and then hit really hard kind of deal. It's not really like combo points, you can kind of ignore it where a Rogue can't. It's a new resource though where we'll have to iterate, but we wanted to get away from the cooldown whack-a-mole gameplay for Paladins.

Q: Paladin healing is not as potent at 85 as the others but they have a lot more mana.
A: We've tweaked that a lot and Paladin healing is a lot more potent now at 85.

Q: Holy Power generation is gimped for generation of threat overall. Do you have any plans to give Judgment a guaranteed proc for Holy Power? Or maybe a chance to proc free Holy Power? Do you have any ideas to fix this problem?
A: One trap we want to avoid is that you can keep Inquisition and Holy Shield up at the same time. We don't want you to have both of your "finishers" that buff you up at the same time.

But one problem is warriors are generating too much threat. We fixed that last week.

We changed it so Divine Plea will generate 3 Holy Power when used so you can start with Holy Power on the pull.

Q: Can you move the interrupt from HoJ to something else for prot paladins?
A: Yeah we've talked about that. We would like to eventually move the interrupt to something else so they have a more consistent interrupt.

Q: If you decided to cut out abilities for prot or ret paladins due to rotations being too complex, what would they be?
A: We've been looking, we probably could take out Avenging Wrath and bake that into Zealotry. Same thing with Inquisition, we could move that somewhere else.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby twinkfist » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 am

so getting rid of inquisition? just buff the damage to ret and prot and get rid of the 30% buff holy damage garbage?

also....so starting it's...divine purpose, judgement, shor, and go from there? i dig it.
Last edited by twinkfist on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
twinkfist

Postby Chicken » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:59 am

twinkfist wrote:so getting rid of inquisition? just buff the damage to ret and prot and get rid of the 30% buff holy damage garbage?
They didn't say they were going to do so, just that it was a mechanic they were likely to cut if things had to be simplified.
Chicken

Postby Flex » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:13 am

Chicken wrote:
twinkfist wrote:so getting rid of inquisition? just buff the damage to ret and prot and get rid of the 30% buff holy damage garbage?
They didn't say they were going to do so, just that it was a mechanic they were likely to cut if things had to be simplified.

I miss the old Ret Mastery of increased Holy Damage. Silly Inquisition.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Griffith » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:22 am

I find it funny that the situation they have wanted to avoid is now plausible: Mid fight, you could pop Inq, then DP, SotR.

And yes, I know that isn't optimal, but they are so against us doing that, now they gave us a way to do it
Griffith

Next

Return to Cataclysm