Block-capping, unfortunate future.

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Block-capping, unfortunate future.

Postby mclem » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:54 am

That's... entusiasic, glowing approval, right? I can't keep up with all the lingo the cool kids are using these days.
mclem

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:12 pm

New changes up.

Mastery: Divine Bulwark now increases your chance to block melee attacks by 18%, down from 24%. Each point of Mastery increases block chance by an additional 2.25%, down from 3%.

So much for that plan. In other news they are screwing warriors a bit as well.

Mastery: Critical Block now increases your chances to block by 12%, up from 10%. Increases your chance to critically block by 12%, down from 20%. Each point of mastery now increases your chance to block by an additional 1.5%, and your chance to critically block by an additional 1.5% (Down from 2.5%).
Io.Draco

Postby Belloc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:00 am

Io.Draco wrote:New changes up.

Mastery: Divine Bulwark now increases your chance to block melee attacks by 18%, down from 24%. Each point of Mastery increases block chance by an additional 2.25%, down from 3%.

So much for that plan. In other news they are screwing warriors a bit as well.

Mastery: Critical Block now increases your chances to block by 12%, up from 10%. Increases your chance to critically block by 12%, down from 20%. Each point of mastery now increases your chance to block by an additional 1.5%, and your chance to critically block by an additional 1.5% (Down from 2.5%).

So much for what plan?
Belloc

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:05 am

Belloc wrote:So much for what plan?

Io.Draco had a plan to reach block cap before the first raiding tier.

I am unsure if this was before or after the announced changes to Paladin mastery.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Belloc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:51 am

Oh, right, the bet. Sabin wins :P
Belloc

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:11 am

Belloc wrote:Oh, right, the bet. Sabin wins :P

Sabin always wins.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Belloc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:57 am

SMAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
Belloc

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:58 am

Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Gaffer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:14 pm

That's the reason I've felt the block mastery was awful from the start. Either you're able to cap block and stacking mastery to that point is amazing or you can't cap block and you're pulling everything out of mastery for other stats. There really isn't any in between.
Gaffer

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Gaffer wrote:That's the reason I've felt the block mastery was awful from the start. Either you're able to cap block and stacking mastery to that point is amazing or you can't cap block and you're pulling everything out of master for other stats. There really isn't any in between.

Not quite true. The change to a 40% damage reduction makes Mastery remain better than dodge or parry even if you stack it to really high amounts (and the changes mean you can keep stacking it a lot longer without capping, of course), if this post is to be believed.

So in taking away the ability to cap and increasing our block amount they've made Mastery a better stat.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Malthrax » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:31 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:
Gaffer wrote:That's the reason I've felt the block mastery was awful from the start. Either you're able to cap block and stacking mastery to that point is amazing or you can't cap block and you're pulling everything out of master for other stats. There really isn't any in between.

Not quite true. The change to a 40% damage reduction makes Mastery remain better than dodge or parry even if you stack it to really high amounts (and the changes mean you can keep stacking it a lot longer without capping, of course), if this post is to be believed.

So in taking away the ability to cap and increasing our block amount they've made Mastery a better stat.

Mastery shouldn't be a "better stat". It should be an "interesting" stat.

If its better, then there's no (real) choice involved. Mastery > Dodge|Parry means "always reforge dodge & parry into mastery", and Reforging simply becomes a 10g tax on new gear.

I'd rather they be equal.. or at least so close that the difference is negligible.
Malthrax

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:37 pm

Where can I reforge for 10gs? Some of my gear was reforged for more than that.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Korola » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:43 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Where can I reforge for 10gs? Some of my gear was reforged for more than that.

The cost for reforging is the vendor price of the item

Taken from here
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Gaffer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:46 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Not quite true. The change to a 40% damage reduction makes Mastery remain better than dodge or parry even if you stack it to really high amounts (and the changes mean you can keep stacking it a lot longer without capping, of course),

I guess the final stage of reforging comes down to whether avoidance or mastery reduces more damage on average, but I'll be pushing to hit and hard expertise caps (assuming bosses parry-haste) before even considering mastery as a stat.

Malthrax wrote:Mastery shouldn't be a "better stat". It should be an "interesting" stat.

That's why I liked the concept of being able to block cap. It made gearing interesting since you had a large amount of stats to balance to hit a specific goal. It would have been incredible if Blizzard came at us with the intention for Paladins to cap block and designed our class assuming we met that requirement, but they said from the beginning that was not their intention.
Gaffer

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:07 pm

I strongly disagree. Designing us to cap block would be totally against their design goals of being able to just put more mastery on gear and have it be worthwhile. That's WHY they changed block for warriors and paladins.

We don't want more numerical stratification on gear like defense cap and crushing blow removal. That's just not good for anyone involved.
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm