Race to 85...but wait..

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Race to 85...but wait..

Postby badgermonkey » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:54 am

Nowhere around here even opens for midnight releases.

I think I'll be buying it digitally, and getting shafted, since for some reason Blizzard charge more when I don't require packaging and buy from the mdirectly rather than from a shop.
badgermonkey

Postby Markoh » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:21 am

If it's anything like wotlk I can tell you that three hours doesn't mean much. It's more about what you do after you get it than whether you get it at est or pst.

Is it an advantage? Yes, but it's not a big one and your overreacting to this. If you were going for a world first I would buy it, but not for a server first.
Markoh

Postby towelliee » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Markoh wrote:If it's anything like wotlk I can tell you that three hours doesn't mean much. It's more about what you do after you get it than whether you get it at est or pst.

Is it an advantage? Yes, but it's not a big one and your overreacting to this. If you were going for a world first I would buy it, but not for a server first.

Not overreacting at all. Everyone should have an equal chance to join the servers at launch at the same time.
towelliee

Postby Teranoid » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:07 pm

That's like complaining that if you live on the east coast you don't get to play on Tuesdays with downtime until the middle of the afternoon as opposed to 11am usually on the west coast.

It happens.
Teranoid

Postby towelliee » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Teranoid wrote:That's like complaining that if you live on the east coast you don't get to play on Tuesdays with downtime until the middle of the afternoon as opposed to 11am usually on the west coast.

It happens.

Agreed but there is no achievement for logging into the servers the fastest or anything. Honestly I play the game for fun people the loot and the accomplishments. That is just me it is who I am.

No one cares who logged in first on weekly reset, but you will always be remembered by someone on your server for being first to 85.
towelliee

Postby thegreatheed » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:34 am

towelliee wrote:
No one cares who logged in first on weekly reset, but you will always be remembered by someone on your server for being first to 85.

I don't remember who was the first 60, 70 or 80 on my server. I don't remember who was the first 70 BE, nor who was the first 80 DK.
thegreatheed

Postby mavfin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:06 am

towelliee wrote: but you will always be remembered by someone on your server for being first to 85.

Actually, I don't remember who got the server first 80 on my servers, but, I know my only thought when I saw the achievement wasn't "Oh, he's skilled!". No, it was "Oh, someone with no life had the time to put in. Meh."

So, many players are NOT going to remember you, or if they do, they'll think of you as someone with more time to put in than anything.

Edit: Don't take that personally, toweliee. I wasn't aiming that at you. That's just what a lot of people who don't know you will immediately think of. I understand what you're going for, but, Blizzard doesn't think it's important enough to solve your timezone issue. That's the way it works.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:11 am

To be fair, Towel said someone on the server will remember. And he's probably right. Someone probably remembers server-first alchemist, the way someone remembers who won Super Bowl I. It's just that most of us just don't care what that guy thinks, or what he remembers.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:18 am

I remember the first 80 on my server, but that's simply because it was a friend, if it had been anyone else I'd never have paid attention.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby towelliee » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:05 am

fuzzygeek wrote:To be fair, Towel said someone on the server will remember. And he's probably right. Someone probably remembers server-first alchemist, the way someone remembers who won Super Bowl I. It's just that most of us just don't care what that guy thinks, or what he remembers.

That's fine lol, I'm looking for you guys to recognize the server first. My point is Blizzard should give everyone an equal shot IF they are going to implement achievements like that. I remember server first for 80 /shrug. And that person was a skilled member of the top guild on our realm. I am pretty sure when I get 85 first if I do they won't say:

"thats no skill no life paladin who is he?"

It will be

"oh snap towelliee got server first dude is skill AND has no life" :)
towelliee

Postby Warsadin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:12 am

Sorry Towel, but the only response you're going to get from here or from blizzard is; "Achievements are optional." That's literally it. Sorry man but it's the truth.
Warsadin

Postby Teranoid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:25 am

mavfin wrote:Edit: Don't take that personally, toweliee. I wasn't aiming that at you. That's just what a lot of people who don't know you will immediately think of. I understand what you're going for, but, Blizzard doesn't think it's important enough to solve your timezone issue. That's the way it works.

Yeah this was more of what I was getting at in my post. Most people really don't care and when it does happen you get the whole 5 min of "grats" or "lol no life" tell spam and then its over. Hell I was the third lvl 80 on my old server when Wrath launched and the only thing I can tell you is that he was a druid.
Teranoid

Postby towelliee » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:33 am

Teranoid wrote:
mavfin wrote:Edit: Don't take that personally, toweliee. I wasn't aiming that at you. That's just what a lot of people who don't know you will immediately think of. I understand what you're going for, but, Blizzard doesn't think it's important enough to solve your timezone issue. That's the way it works.

Yeah this was more of what I was getting at in my post. Most people really don't care and when it does happen you get the whole 5 min of "grats" or "lol no life" tell spam and then its over. Hell I was the third lvl 80 on my old server when Wrath launched and the only thing I can tell you is that he was a druid.

Then they should take the achievement out then lol. I mean you could say the same for any achievement for world/server first. It happens you get tells and its over. To some people it's not important to me it is. That's about it.
towelliee

Postby Sabindeus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:26 pm

I agree, they should take achievements out. I thought they were a bad idea in the first place.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby djlar » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 am

Big clue on the launcher? it says that activate your background downloader and be ready on day 1...

But I'm guessing buying the box is just for the activation code, I'm still hoping for letting us buy it online..
djlar

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm