Remove Advertisements

Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Videos 4.0

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Videos 4.0

Postby towelliee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:15 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
towelliee wrote:We really have no snap threat at the beginning of a boss encounter. Usually I Pop Wins > AS > CS > J > Cons /HW then I end up getting caught up to in aggro since I really have no high burst ability. Currently on live, I can Hotr in beginning of a fight 2 piece or not and get a good amount of threat going. Now it seems like with GOOD dps you have to watch out. Same with AOE'ing small mobs. You really have no snap like LIVE hotr. I ma uploading my Heroic Halls of Origination in a bit and I had really good DPS and was always being caught up to.

I can second this. I go for Wings > Exo > AS > J > CS > 1ShotR on single targets, but DPS rides really hard or pulls until you get that 3ShotR off. The question is, do the other tanks have a significantly harder hitting opening sequence or is everyone equally hit by ramp-up time?

I do not know about Bears or DK's, but I do know Warriors Shield Block + Slam at beginning of a fight is crazy aggro. They don't have to rev up any combo points...
towelliee

Postby Neziah » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:26 pm

towelliee wrote:
I do not know about Bears or DK's, but I do know Warriors Shield Block + Slam at beginning of a fight is crazy aggro. They don't have to rev up any combo points...

Yes that is how you do it, works nice for a quick lead. Shieldblock, charge, Shieldslam, devastate, and hope for a Sword and Board proc for another hard Slam before shield block wears off. Just have to hope that you do not miss the first slam though. :mrgreen:
Neziah
Maintankadonor

Postby towelliee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:50 pm

New Videos going up today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40VyAP31cMA -- Heroic Halls of Origination - Boss Fight Tutorials
towelliee

Postby towelliee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZiFCI0oUVQ -- Heroic Halls of Origination - TRASH - Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Beta 4.0
Last edited by towelliee on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
towelliee

Postby PsiVen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:25 am

I watched this entire video and found no evidence whatsoever to support such a claim. You let some troggs loose because the DPS were AoEing and knocking them back while you ran in, and you lost single targets several times within 2 seconds of the pull. That's sloppy DPS, not a tank shortcoming. If you compare single-target to a prot warrior's Shield Slam which allows people to be sloppy and still not pull aggro, we have a different story. But it still has nothing to do with AoE.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby towelliee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:13 am

PsiVen wrote:I watched this entire video and found no evidence whatsoever to support such a claim. You let some troggs loose because the DPS were AoEing and knocking them back while you ran in, and you lost single targets several times within 2 seconds of the pull. That's sloppy DPS, not a tank shortcoming. If you compare single-target to a prot warrior's Shield Slam which allows people to be sloppy and still not pull aggro, we have a different story. But it still has nothing to do with AoE.

Yeah I re-watched it just seems on every single pull I was a mere seconds away from being pulled on. Guess DPS just have to be careful. But as I get more gear from Justice points I find myself surviving more. In SFK last night I was able to aoe tank mobs of 3 which I was happy about. Not happy that I couldn't hold good aggro on all of them.
towelliee

Postby Phonic » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Towel,

Thanks so much for the vids man!! Gives me some nice stuff to watch at work, cept my boss did step into my cube yesterday during one of your videos, lol. At least he's played WOW in the past so he was okay when i said "it's the new Cataclysm Beta vid!" haha

Keep them coming, I like seeing the new instances and the boss tutorials. Looks like communication with your party (above skill and gear) is gonna be the most important thing. Back to the BC, MGT days, lol
Phonic

Postby towelliee » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:13 am

Heroic Deadmines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEiVKCvZ3p8 -- Heroic Deadmines - Boss Fight Tutorials
towelliee

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:29 am

Gotta say I did heroic deadmines as a healer last night, and god DAMN they are not playing around with this shit. We are in solidly Heroic Shattered Halls territory here. 2 mobs = dead, crowd control fully necessary, and such.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Invisusira » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:35 am

Watched TB's video for that and heroic Stonecore and god DAMN, it looks like heroics are back to being heroic. Four hours of wiping on the first boss in Stonecore with a healer in a top world-ranked guild? I'm quite excited.
Invisusira

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:40 am

Invisusira wrote:Watched TB's video for that and heroic Stonecore and god DAMN, it looks like heroics are back to being heroic. Four hours of wiping on the first boss in Stonecore with a healer in a top world-ranked guild? I'm quite excited.

HOORAY FOR MURMUR ALL OVER AGAIN! \o/

...wait what?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Arianne » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 pm

Honestly. I'm not really. Sure, it was fun to do SH with good people. But 75% of the time I got people who had no clue what they were doing and couldn't be relied on to do anything (that number has now increased to 90% in Wrath). I don't play in a top 100 guild. We have people who do 10k DPS on HLK25. We have healers who get picked up by Valks in the wrong spot or who die to Goo on H Putricide.

I remember taking 2 healers to instances when we first started heroics in BC because tank damage was so bad that you couldn't do some pulls without one healer to spam the tank and one healer to heal the rest of the group. Was it epic? Sure it was. Was it fun when you succeeded? Definitely. But your success percentage was somewhere around 10% at the beginning. Maybe I just need to join a better guild, but there are only so many of those around. /shrug
Arianne

Postby towelliee » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Gotta say I did heroic deadmines as a healer last night, and god DAMN they are not playing around with this shit. We are in solidly Heroic Shattered Halls territory here. 2 mobs = dead, crowd control fully necessary, and such.

I believe it will only be this way for about the first week or so. I have upgraded to 346 blues and I have 4 Epic 359 gear. And I am currently able to AOE tank 2-3 mobs finally. Still need CC on 5-7 mob packs but with 40+ % block not to mention raiding and tier gear, it will not be as extreme as TBC since at the beginning of TBC we did not have access to all the great gear they're starting us out with now.
towelliee

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:37 pm

towelliee wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Gotta say I did heroic deadmines as a healer last night, and god DAMN they are not playing around with this shit. We are in solidly Heroic Shattered Halls territory here. 2 mobs = dead, crowd control fully necessary, and such.

I believe it will only be this way for about the first week or so. I have upgraded to 346 blues and I have 4 Epic 359 gear. And I am currently able to AOE tank 2-3 mobs finally. Still need CC on 5-7 mob packs but with 40+ % block not to mention raiding and tier gear, it will not be as extreme as TBC since at the beginning of TBC we did not have access to all the great gear they're starting us out with now.

Quite possibly. The tank I was healing was in full premade gear set (333 i guess) and he got seriously pounded by 2x Ogres with me being unable to do anything about it.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby towelliee » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:27 pm

Last Night I was able to tank both Ogre's with hunter tranqing.
towelliee

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm