Remove Advertisements

Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Videos 4.0

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Videos 4.0

Postby theckhd » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Arcand wrote:
theckhd wrote:All Your Parse Are Belong To Us.

I'm requesting that anyone doing testing on the beta or PTR sign up for a WoL account and upload parses. If you guys doing tanking videos would do the same, I'd appreciate it. That would give us a wealth of data we can dig through if we want to double check mechanics issues.

When I checked this morning I wasn't in and maintankadin had six pending applications. I assume I didn't make the minimum gear score. :(

Sorry, I've been very busy. It should be fixed now, and you guys should all be able to approve new applicants.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby towelliee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Finally FINISHED a Heroic on Beta. We did Grim Batol. Very challenging finally got a guild group together. Aggro against GOOD DPS is hard. Or main issue is we don't have a bread and butter snap aggro off the start but you will see. I will have 2 videos. 1 for trash 1 for bosses
towelliee

Postby towelliee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGduFlr554 -- Heroic Grim Batol - Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Beta 4.0 - Trash

Heroic Grim Batol Boss Tutorials coming up
towelliee

Postby Warsadin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks towelliee, thumbs up'd your SFK video. I am sure I will have some questions about the grim batol one. Yay for new things to watch on a long night at work.
Warsadin

Postby Loras » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:24 am

If aggro against good dps is hard, then there's 1 more argument against the use of Word of Glory. F*ck you, Word of Glory, f*ck youuuu :(
Loras

Postby towelliee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr2prhXFyxQ -- Heroic Grim Batol - Boss Fight Tutorials - Cataclysm Paladin Tanking Beta 4.0

Very good reference for boss fights, should show you all how to deal with each boss.
towelliee

Postby towelliee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Video of our starter gear coming up
towelliee

Postby Yelena » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:06 pm

PsiVen wrote:It's SoulBurned v1.1 with several modifications to work for paladins instead of warlocks.

Thanks for posting this, your mods to it work flawlessly, and it "fits" in my UI better than NugComboBar does.

One question, do you find you have to toggle it in the options to make the bar show up?

Edit: Found the problem, I missed catching the class variable in PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD.

Edit2: I tweaked around with the cooldowns, replacing the Warlock abilities with relevant Paladin cooldowns. It's nicer than some of the other addon options available, but at the same time can start eating screen space quickly as multiple cooldowns overlap. Overall it has the potential to be a powerful Holy Power + cooldown tracker for any spec.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby towelliee » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Deadmines for 7 hours last night only to find out the last boss can't be downed without help of a GM.... /kicks kitten
towelliee

Postby Warsadin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:59 pm

Where's my deadmines boss video now? I have work for another 6 hours Towelliee! Get on that!

Thanks though sincerely, and Loras, all tanks are having some pretty big issues holding AoE threat right now. Well I haven't heard any bears complain but that's the only one.

tankspot/maintankadin/pwnwear all have plenty of threads of people complaining about how dps are pulling off them very easily in trash situations, not just paladins.

It really has nothing to do with WoG as a spell and it's usefulness itself.
Warsadin

Postby towelliee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orCTCPCmdRA -- Cataclysm Prospecting

Getting mah epic gear sorry for the lack of heroics!
towelliee

Postby PsiVen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:53 am

Yeah, I'm pretty much just waiting for the next build to fix Sanctuary before I do another heroic.

Warsadin wrote:Thanks though sincerely, and Loras, all tanks are having some pretty big issues holding AoE threat right now. Well I haven't heard any bears complain but that's the only one.

tankspot/maintankadin/pwnwear all have plenty of threads of people complaining about how dps are pulling off them very easily in trash situations, not just paladins.

I always assumed most of these complaints were PTR / level 80, not at 85. If say on the first boss in HoO the DPS are AoEing while you're trying to pick up two sets of snakes and the boss, they'll probably pull aggro. Another weak point is blowing Heroism and all cooldowns at the start of a boss fight; if AS doesn't connect you're pretty much taunting until ShoR is ready. In my experience nearly every case of aggro pulling is caused by WotLK mentality play.

Once threat is established on a boss fight / trash pack, I find liberal use of WoG to not cause any TPS problems. That's not to say it's a good ability, but I do have some lingering concern that the threat tension is intended to come from how much time you spend healing yourself instead of doing more damage.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:31 am

PsiVen wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty much just waiting for the next build to fix Sanctuary before I do another heroic.

Warsadin wrote:Thanks though sincerely, and Loras, all tanks are having some pretty big issues holding AoE threat right now. Well I haven't heard any bears complain but that's the only one.

I always assumed most of these complaints were PTR / level 80, not at 85. If say on the first boss in HoO the DPS are AoEing while you're trying to pick up two sets of snakes and the boss, they'll probably pull aggro. Another weak point is blowing Heroism and all cooldowns at the start of a boss fight; if AS doesn't connect you're pretty much taunting until ShoR is ready. In my experience nearly every case of aggro pulling is caused by WotLK mentality play.

Once threat is established on a boss fight / trash pack, I find liberal use of WoG to not cause any TPS problems. That's not to say it's a good ability, but I do have some lingering concern that the threat tension is intended to come from how much time you spend healing yourself instead of doing more damage.

That's kind of what I have been seeing too. Once you've hit the first 3ShotR you're pretty much set on any given mob and can use HoPo for other things. Especially on fights that require the DPS to do other stuff.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby towelliee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:36 am

We really have no snap threat at the beginning of a boss encounter. Usually I Pop Wins > AS > CS > J > Cons /HW then I end up getting caught up to in aggro since I really have no high burst ability. Currently on live, I can Hotr in beginning of a fight 2 piece or not and get a good amount of threat going. Now it seems like with GOOD dps you have to watch out. Same with AOE'ing small mobs. You really have no snap like LIVE hotr. I ma uploading my Heroic Halls of Origination in a bit and I had really good DPS and was always being caught up to.
towelliee

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:05 pm

towelliee wrote:We really have no snap threat at the beginning of a boss encounter. Usually I Pop Wins > AS > CS > J > Cons /HW then I end up getting caught up to in aggro since I really have no high burst ability. Currently on live, I can Hotr in beginning of a fight 2 piece or not and get a good amount of threat going. Now it seems like with GOOD dps you have to watch out. Same with AOE'ing small mobs. You really have no snap like LIVE hotr. I ma uploading my Heroic Halls of Origination in a bit and I had really good DPS and was always being caught up to.

I can second this. I go for Wings > Exo > AS > J > CS > 1ShotR on single targets, but DPS rides really hard or pulls until you get that 3ShotR off. The question is, do the other tanks have a significantly harder hitting opening sequence or is everyone equally hit by ramp-up time?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm