Deathwing Encounter (this is not a spoiler)

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Deathwing Encounter (this is not a spoiler)

Postby Mcduffie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:23 am

I think you guys are missing the point. This thread is just to imagine what we would like to see. Not dwell on "Blizzard sucks because of x in the previous dungeon that we'll probably see again."

I just had a little idea: What if the hard mode activator was a pvp scenario? Horde and alliance are both charging towards the final (for the eleventieth time) goal, and run across each other. But not NPCs. An actual other guild(if available).

Will this idea happen? Probably not. But, fun to think about.
Mcduffie

Postby Leuthas » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:28 pm

mclem wrote:My point is that they amount to the same thing, potentially. Guilds which are unable to achieve the goal in time - and therefore really shouldn't be doing a hardmode - are lumped in with those attempting the hard-mode

I have to disagree on this point - I don't see any reason to setup such an encounter to be any sort of dps check, at least, not moreso than Patchwerk was in Naxx25. Keep it at the point where, if you can't do it, you probably won't be able to do the next boss either.
mclem wrote:However, one thing I think is a bad idea is the suggestion that something you do in the *earlier* encounter commits you to the hardmode for the *later* encounter; punishing the raid for a rash decision they made several days ago doesn't strike me as great for gameplay or morale. Having completely distinct encounters, with perhaps a footnote that you need to hardmode the first encounter before you can even *choose* to attempt the hardmode in the latter (think like wing bosses -> LKH) would work quite nicely.

Now here, I'd have to agree. I did not consider the fact that guilds very often change their mind, say after several attempts, they decide to skip the hardmode for the day. With what I've suggested, that wouldn't be incredibly easy to do.

mcduffie wrote:I just had a little idea: What if the hard mode activator was a pvp scenario? Horde and alliance are both charging towards the final (for the eleventieth time) goal, and run across each other. But not NPCs. An actual other guild(if available).

While I personally think it'd be very interesting, I think one of the greatest reasons folks on my server almost never do ToC anymore is because of faction champs. It's the "why is there PvP in my PvE?" thing. Also, going up against another real guild in a raid would require some sort queue system, and I'd hate waiting for another guild to get to where I am in order to progress.

Anyway, I did intend for this to be more of a, "oh, I think [this mechanic] would be awsome for Deathwing's encounter" or "It would make sense for [this NPC] to be join the fight" type thread, but it seems I've geared it more towards the normal mode/hard mode activations. Oh well. :P
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:03 am

Mcduffie wrote:This thread is just to imagine what we would like to see. Not dwell on "Blizzard sucks because of x in the previous dungeon that we'll probably see again."

In case of certain features on my list, it's more of a "Blizzard was very pleased with this particular implementation of X in the previous dungeon, and openly declared that they will make extensive use of it in Cataclysm".

Mcduffie wrote:I just had a little idea: What if the hard mode activator was a pvp scenario? Horde and alliance are both charging towards the final (for the eleventieth time) goal, and run across each other. But not NPCs. An actual other guild(if available).

What if it was the other way around? A new battleground, where Horde and Alliance have a limited time to conquer certain objectives on the map, while the invincible Deathwing flies overhead, roasting anyone unlucky enough to be caught in his path. Once the time runs out, he gets bored and floods the entire map with lava and fire.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby mclem » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Leuthas wrote:
mclem wrote:My point is that they amount to the same thing, potentially. Guilds which are unable to achieve the goal in time - and therefore really shouldn't be doing a hardmode - are lumped in with those attempting the hard-mode

I have to disagree on this point - I don't see any reason to setup such an encounter to be any sort of dps check, at least, not moreso than Patchwerk was in Naxx25. Keep it at the point where, if you can't do it, you probably won't be able to do the next boss either.

Unfortunately, every fight can become a DPS check if sufficient people die stupidly. I'm recalling an early Heigan the Unclean, where about 20 of our raid got themselves flattened during the first dance, and the remainder soldiered on and *eventually* downed him.

Still, since you agree with me about the "early fight should not permanently affect later fight" factor, that does take away the biggest issue I had with the suggestion.
mclem

Postby Invisusira » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:57 pm

I think Deathwing should land and summon his posse, then challenge you to a dance-off.
Invisusira

Postby Leuthas » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:01 pm

Invisusira wrote:I think Deathwing should land and summon his posse, then challenge you to a dance-off.

I could solo that.

Make some sort of epic CC encounter where you have to /dance with mobs in order to CC them, and keep dancing until no more CC is needed.

The good times of Stratholme...
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby coldthing » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Invisusira wrote:I think Deathwing should land and summon his posse, then challenge you to a dance-off.

if that were the case then the alliance would never be able to beat it >.>
coldthing
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Cataclysm