Cataclysm Currency Changes

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cataclysm Currency Changes

Postby dmok » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:14 am

Flex wrote:The move from the soft to hard cap will most likely make farming for them quite useless.

It depends on what the hard cap is, though. I'm sure it won't be as high as the 4000 example from GC .. but it will very likely be higher than the 30 I have now.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby mclem » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:24 am

I'm wondering if it's a smart choice to just dump all my Triumphs (>1k) into Conquests immediately prior to the conversion; I suspect that my current stockpile of Frosts along with any content I do after that will be enough to reach the cap before I actually want to spend any justice points again, and it's a lot less hassle than trying to sell gems or primordials - although that's probably a bit more lucrative.
mclem

Postby Kelaan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:59 am

What will we be able to buy with the new points, though? Will this effectively let me buy stuff with my Triumph->JusticePoints? (e.g., my DK has a bunch of "useless" triumph badges, but could he then buy T10 gear with those once they're Justice Points? That'd be a nice "level with 4xT10" perk for a level or two.

That said, I have on the order of 600 badges on my main, which would be an extra 3k gold, if I downgrade them before the conversion.
Kelaan

Postby Chicken » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:01 am

They'll be able to be used to buy anything that currently costs badges. So yeah, if you want you can relatively easily grab some tier 10 on your alts.
Chicken

Postby dmok » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:03 am

Chicken wrote:They'll be able to be used to buy anything that currently costs badges. So yeah, if you want you can relatively easily grab some tier 10 on your alts.

Thanks for all your help Chicken. Now to figure out how to use this information wisely ...

Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby dmok » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:29 am

Last question, I swear.

What are the cost of lvl80 gear (t10 specifically) in Justice points?

dmok

Postby Korola » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:44 am

For those who can't see MMO-champ at work. Looks like 11.56 is the magic number for frost items. Since you only get 2.75 justice per frost, now is better than later.

Edit: lol too late, econ beat me to it.
Last edited by Korola on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby dmok » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:46 am

thanks a ton, matey

dmok

Postby econ21 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:46 am

dmok wrote:What are the cost of lvl80 gear (t10 specifically) in Justice points?

On PTR, a T10 item currently costing 95EoF costs 1100JP; one costing 60 costs 694JP.

Given that one EoF converts to 2.75JP, it looks much better to buy your T10 now rather than later. After conversion, the price will increase 400%.

However, I guess the real choice is buy T10 gear of very short shelf life now or save for (probably) one or two expensive pieces of Cata gear later.
econ21

Postby Mutley » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:56 am

You can earn JP a lot faster then frost badges though. That's why everything costs "more" after the conversion.

Only gems get more expensive as you can already buy them for triumphs.
Mutley
Vek'nilash EU
Mutley

Postby Shathus » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:36 am

econ21 wrote:However, I guess the real choice is buy T10 gear of very short shelf life now or save for (probably) one or two expensive pieces of Cata gear later.

So Cata dungeons/heroics will drop Justice Points on release, right? I can't imagine they would want people to be able to stockpile JP earned @80, that you could use to buy gear as soon as you hit 85.

I think as someone mentioned in this thread, those will probably get reset at some point.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:50 am

For those who can't see the link -

Blizzard just announced some quite major currency changes that will be happening with the release of Patch 4.0.1. The major points are as follows:

Emblems of Triumph and Emblems of Frost become Justice Points.
All other emblems and badges are converted into gold, including BC-level badges.
All PvP currencies (current Honor Points, Arena Points, Marks of Honor, Stone Keeper's Shards, etc.) will become the new Honor Points.
While there is a cap on new currencies in Cataclysm, that cap is being ignored for the purpose of the initial conversion. You just won't be able to earn anything beyond the cap if you're over it initially. This will then change shortly before Cataclysm is released, cutting off all currencies to the hard cap, with excess points being converted to gold.
Remember that the new Cataclysm currencies are:
Justice Points Low-tier, easy-to-get PvE points that will buy gear (like Emblems of Triumph are now)
Valor Points High-tier, harder-to-get PvE points that will buy gear (like Emblems of Frost are now)
Honor Points Low-tier, easy-to-get PvP points that will buy PvP gear (like normal Honor Points are now)
Conquest Points High-tier, harder-to-get PvP points that will buy PvP gear (like Arena Points are now)
The exact math for the conversion rates will be posted tomorrow afternoon. We'll let you know as soon as that information is available.

After the break, the full Blizzard statement on the upcoming Cataclysm currency changes.

Bashiok -- Cataclysm Currency Changes Explained

As we discussed in our previous announcement (http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 4401796793), we're refining the currency systems used for purchasing PvE and PvP items in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, and the transition to this new system will take place in two stages. Today, we're going into more detail on how these changes will be rolled out, so if you haven't yet, make sure to check out the prior article to get up to speed on the currency names.

One change of note since that original announcement is that we've changed the name of the low-tier PvE currency from Hero Points to Justice Points. The original announcement post has been updated to reflect this.

Out With the Old

In the upcoming 4.0 patch we'll begin the first stage of the conversion to the new currencies. Emblems of Triumph and Emblems of Frost will be converted into Justice Points. For this initial conversion there will be a soft cap of points you can have, with a hard cap enforced later as detailed below. All PvE emblems and badges below Frost and Triumph will be converted into gold. This even includes legacy badges, like Badges of Justice. If any of these older currencies are converted into gold, the player will receive it through an in-game letter.

At this time any bosses a player defeats that are level-appropriate to them (and previously awarded badges or emblems upon defeat) will award them with the new Justice Points. Similarly, any items that previously cost emblems or badges of any type will now cost Justice Points instead.

On the PvP side, Season 8 will end with the release of patch 4.0, and all Arena Points, Honor Points, any leftover Battleground Marks of Honor, Stone Keeper's Shards, Venture Coins, and Spirit Shards will be converted into the new Honor Points. The new Honor Point pool will also have a soft cap for these conversions, but a hard cap will be enforced later. At the time of conversion, items that previously cost Honor or Arena Points will be sold in exchange for the new Honor Points. Rated Arenas and Rated Battlegrounds won't be available again until Season 9 (shortly after the release of Cataclysm), when they can be entered to win the higher-tier PvP Conquest Points.

In addition, purchasing any item with these secondary currencies (Honor Points and Justice Points) will now require that the purchaser meet the item's minimum level requirement.

It's important to note that these conversions are not 1:1, but are indicative of the level and relative worth of each before the conversion to the new point systems. For example, Stone Keeper's Shards will convert into more Honor Points than Spirit Shards.

Tip of the Cap

While we previously announced that there's a limit to the amount of these new currencies you can stockpile, we're providing a grace period in the form of a soft cap. This soft cap will allow the initial conversion to push the amount owned over the cap, but will not allow any further points to be earned (or returned through item refunds) until enough points are spent to put you below the hard cap.

For instance, a player has 3000 Emblems of Triumph, and 1200 Emblems of Frost; at the time of conversion they'll be given 4200 Justice Points. The hard cap for Justice Points is 4000, so that player won't be able to earn any more Justice Points until he or she spends enough points to reduce the total to under 4000. This also applies to the new PvP Honor Points, which also have a cap of 4000.

Shortly before Cataclysm is released, another patch will enforce the hard cap, marking the second stage of the currency conversion. Any Justice or Honor Points above the hard cap will be converted to gold, and just like in the first stage of the conversion, the player will receive an in-game letter explaining that some of their currencies were converted into gold as well as delivering the gold itself.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Whatever the cap is, we'll have a month to farm Justice Points if we want to save them for 85. Either they need to go away or the gain rate and cap needs to go way up to make prices much higher at 85.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm not sure what they intend to be purchasable for Justice Points in 4.0 Cata - Presumably the actual raid gear will be on the second rank of points, as "current content" will be with each patch.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:35 pm

PsiVen wrote:Whatever the cap is, we'll have a month to farm Justice Points if we want to save them for 85. Either they need to go away or the gain rate and cap needs to go way up to make prices much higher at 85.

Looking at the price differences between the L70 BoJ items and the L80 EoF items I think it's clear that we'll see a huge gain/cost increase on our way to 85... the question is, will the hard cap go up with it? Probably. I wouldn't be surprised by a per-level hard cap, in fact.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm