Holy Paladin healing at level 85....

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Holy Paladin healing at level 85....

Postby Candiru » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:33 am

No, name swap AND cast time /power swap.

So FoL is fast/cheap and HL is slow/expensive as it is at the moment.

The new model has all healers with a slow/cheap and fast/expensive which is a bit boring.
Candiru

Postby Thornir » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:12 am

I find I have more fun healing when I don't care what other healers are doing.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Candiru » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:19 am

I always found healing in concert with other healers, maximising both of your abilities to be the most fun healing.

EG, Sunwell, Kalecgos. That was a fun fight to heal! Each group would have a healer, and jump around through portals. You had to be aware of which other healer was with you in each realm, and adapt your healing accordingly. As a paladin I would always be on the tanks, but if I was with a druid there would be powerful hots on the tank, so I could cast my downranked HL more often as I knew lifebloom would be ticking every second. If I was with a shammie the chain heal would be good for topping off the group, but the tank wouldn't be getting as much. With the druid hotting the raid and the tank, if a DPS dropped too low I could throw a swift heal on them to top them off. With a shammie healing the chain heal would do that so I wouldn't need to.

I think its fun watching grid and knowing your co-healers strengths and weaknesses so you can top of people appropriately. In WOTLK as a paladin you can beacon the tank, then HL bomb whichever raid member is near death, while druids can hot up people about to take damage / needing heals but not critical enough for a HL. If all healers are the same, its going to be dull.
Candiru

Postby Thornir » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:51 am

Oh, I think it's great when you can coordinate with healers, and splitting up groups based on what they're good at and what they can do. But to me, as long as the druid doesn't let the raid die, I don't care what spells he uses, or what addons he needs.

Anyway, I was just thinking to myself about why everyone seems to be spamming the cheap heals, and I think I have a good analogy; I'm gonna post it on the OF when I get back home and get my Authenticator:

Say Holy Light is a penny, and FL/Divine Light are 20 dollar bills. If you need money, you use one of the spells. If you want to get a snack from the vending machine, you could get a lot of pennies. If you use dollar bills to much, you run out of mana, and a snack is not worth making you go OOM. If you need to pay off a loan RIGHT NOW, you would need to use some dollars, because pennies take too long.

However, what happens when you don't need money? Well, pennies are costless. You have UNLIMITED pennies. So you're not going to stand still; you're going to spam pennies to get as much money as possible, even if you don't need the money, because why do you care? You won't run out of mana, but it certainly can't hurt, what happens if you need the money?

Because he have unlimited Holy Lights, we feel free to spam Holy Light, even when we don't need healing at all, because in that cast time, the person we are healing might get hurt.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Candiru » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:16 am

Exactly, the HL/Greaterheal/HealingWave/HealingTouch?(or is it nourish for druids?) are essentially auto-heals. You would be a stupid DPS if you stopped auto-attacking. You are a stupid healer if you stop auto-healing. With the demise of the 5-second rule, there is no point whatsoever of not casting.

It seems to be because blizzard wanted healers to always have something to do, as it wasn't "fun" waiting outside the 5s rule to regen more mana. (Even though it was, try healing on fumes in a 5man while leveling as a druid/priest. Topping the tank offwith a burst of healing then wanding/meleeing for some free damage while you regen enough mana for the next burst was quite tactical and fun.)

New model is spam auto-heal, then cast other heals if needed using up mana. I personally dislike this model, as it doesn't sound that fun to me. If chain use of Hand of Sacrifice / imp.intervene / tank CDs allows healers to auto-heal the tank rather than cast mana-heals, it will make encounters much easier.

Warrior tanks with their 30s CD on shield block (100% block chance!) will allow healers to auto-heal for 10s every 30s. If you have 2 tanks, you can taunt-swap and chain CDs keeping a CD up nearly all the time. Encounters where tanks taunt off each other as soon as the other tank drops low seem like they would trivialise content. You can auto-heal up the old tank with 1 healer with the others auto-heal the new one who has popped a CD. When CD runs out and tank gets low, old tanks taunts off and pops his CD... repeat. Using 1 tank will require healers upranking and going oom.
Last edited by Candiru on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candiru

Postby Arincia » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:58 am

In that perspective two warriors would allow only 20 seconds of each minute where you would need more then a auto heal for anything besides magic.
Arincia

Postby sherck » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:50 am

Candiru wrote:Exactly, the HL/Greaterheal/HealingWave/HealingTouch?(or is it nourish for druids?) are essentially auto-heals.

The medium "auto-heals" are Holy Light, Heal, Riptide and Nourish.

Flash of Light, Flash Heal, Lesser Healing Touch and Lesser Healing Wave are the small single-person heals.

Divine Light, Greater Heal, Healing Touch and Healing Wave are the big single-person heals.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:58 am

Er, one of our shaman healers was checking out the PTR and just got a beta invite, and he was a little confused about the use of Healing Wave, since it's the intended auto-heal but Riptide is as efficient and actually stronger. It's Greater Healing Wave that's the high-throughput heal.

He's also not sure why he'd use regular Healing Wave when Chain Heal is only 2x the cost and better throughput if 2 or more people need healing.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Previous

Return to Cataclysm