Remove Advertisements

Is blocking much better than dodging? (Mastery)

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Is blocking much better than dodging? (Mastery)

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:44 pm

I don't remember reading anything about this, and I don't think I have enough Mastery gear to see any effect if there is DR.

My main concern is that if blocking is a 30% DR compared to dodge's 100% "DR", then if mastery is "cheaper" than 30% of the rating per 1% it's going to be an obvious choice for a stat on everything.

I guess the reforging issue isn't so large because we can't reforge into a stat that's already on a piece of gear, e.g. turning a dodge/mastery piece into a "less dodge/more mastery" piece isn't an option. However, with the rudimentary check I just did before the server came down, these are the effects of some rating values.

Going from 1032 dodge rating to 881 (151 loss) reduced my dodge by 0.54%. I'm level 82, and that puts my dodge rating at about 280 rating per 1% (painful enough already, but already known.) Going from 154 mastery to 0 reduces my block % by 3.9%, putting it around 40 mastery rating per 1% block. Presumably these rating requirements will go up as I gain levels, but they should stay proportional.

So, if blocking is a 30% DR, 100 rating of dodge is worth about .36% DR, while 100 mastery is worth 0.76%. Obviously 1% of avoidance is better as you gain avoidance (0%->1% is not as strong as 49%->50%), but the same should be roughly true for blocking as well. This isn't even to mention that more frequent damage smoothing (aka blocking) is generally more helpful for healing than less frequent damage avoidance (worst case scenario, EH, etc).

Obviously they're not tweaking numbers, but I'm just looking for a sanity check. If mastery is more than 3x cheaper than dodge/parry per 1% effective benefit, it'll be the stat of choice for physical damage reduction, right? Even if we can't reach block cap anymore, it seems like we'll want to get as close as possible, and we may even be reforging dodge or parry into mastery on "pure" tank pieces.

Thoughts?
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Re: Is there DR on Mastery?

Postby PsiVen » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Well, if you DR the DR you might have to worry about the DR's DR to DR fully (because of DR).

*ahem*

I don't think there's DR on mastery, because of its universal status. I imagine they will have to make ours diminish, but I think the avoidance DRs are currently a bit harsh considering how low we start.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:20 pm

PsiVen wrote:Well, if you DR the DR you might have to worry about the DR's DR to DR fully (because of DR).

You make an interesting point, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Can't believe I slipped into using DR for dodge rating.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Re: Is blocking much better than dodging? (Mastery)

Postby PsiVen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:29 am

So, by my rough character screen estimate it looks like L85 takes 179 dodge rating per 1% dodge, and 79 mastery per 1% block. Before DR, dodge/parry is the obvious choice. I anticipate a crossover at some point in the DR curve, unless they decide to DR block as well.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:15 am

Maybe I messed up a decimal point or some other mundane detail. It seems a little odd that it would take you less dodge rating at 85 than it takes me at 82. I'll go check my numbers again...

-- Hmm... yeah, ok. I must've transcribed a number wrong. That dodge difference is 1.54% not just 0.54%. That puts it around 100 vs 40 for me, making dodge ever so slightly stronger. Well dang, I was hoping biasing towards mastery would be a good choice; now that it's proportional I kinda like the idea of blocking often instead of avoiding rarely.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Holyblaze » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:Maybe I messed up a decimal point or some other mundane detail. It seems a little odd that it would take you less dodge rating at 85 than it takes me at 82. I'll go check my numbers again...

-- Hmm... yeah, ok. I must've transcribed a number wrong. That dodge difference is 1.54% not just 0.54%. That puts it around 100 vs 40 for me, making dodge ever so slightly stronger. Well dang, I was hoping biasing towards mastery would be a good choice; now that it's proportional I kinda like the idea of blocking often instead of avoiding rarely.

This. Have always loved block.
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby kaanman36 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Holyblaze wrote:This. Have always loved block.

I suspect that if we didn't like block, we wouldn't be tanking with a shield using class. :wink:
Staring at boss crotch since 2005.
Gathorc - 85 Paladin
Eitrigg US

Read my blog http://bigshinyshield.blogspot.com...or don't.
kaanman36

Postby Notorius101 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:57 am

PsiVen wrote:Well, if you DR the DR you might have to worry about the DR's DR to DR fully (because of DR).

I don't know why this made me lol IRL.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Notorius101

Return to Cataclysm