GAnK Video

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: GAnK Video

Postby Loras » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm quite underwhelmed with the spell, really. Apart from the interesting new look (I like the model, although I agree some changes can be made), the usability is kinda... questionable.
Loras

Postby Flex » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Loras wrote:I'm quite underwhelmed with the spell, really. Apart from the interesting new look (I like the model, although I agree some changes can be made), the usability is kinda... questionable.

Currently warriors can glyph to make Shield Wall the same as Prot Guardian, increasing the cooldown and increasing its power to 60% reduction.

So Paladins will have 20%/1min (40% magical/1 min), 20% + 15% heal/3min cooldown and a 60% 5 min. Warriors will get Shield Block physical, Last Stand and a choice of how powerful a shield wall they want, 40%/2min or 60%/4 or 5min
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Chicken » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:32 pm

We actually get 60%/2min: Shield of the Templar. Pretty good really.
Chicken

Postby Flex » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Chicken wrote:We actually get 60%/2min: Shield of the Templar. Pretty good really.

That's not going to last.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Flex wrote:
Chicken wrote:We actually get 60%/2min: Shield of the Templar. Pretty good really.

We might be surprised. I don't know how many people thought AD would last, either.

Nikachelle wrote:...like Tinkerbell. Tehee.

Hey! Listen!
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:03 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
Flex wrote:

We might be surprised. I don't know how many people thought AD would last, either.

Seems that things are working themselves towards a 1/3/5 (pre-talents) set up.

Some minor cooldown at One minute you use regularly
Warriors: Shield Block
Paladins: Divine Protection
Druids: Bark Skin

A 3 minute one you would use for minor emergencies
Warriors: Last Stand
Paladins: Ardent Defender
Druids: Frenzied Regeneration

A 5 minute one for extreme situations
Warriors: Shield Wall (can be weaker for a shorter cooldown or stronger for a longer cooldown)
Paladins: Guardian
Druids: Survival Instincts

Death Knights retaining lots of cooldowns on one minute timers in Bone Shield, Vampiric Blood, Auto-Triggering Will of the Necropolis + Rune Tap, Dancing Rune Weapon avoidance clicky with Ice Bound Fortitude at 2 minutes. They seem to be a very heavy maintenance class there and should get a clean up there.
Flex

Postby Loras » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:25 pm

The Protection version works ok, I guess (aside from the fact that it's just a clone of an already existing ability, which on the other hand gets turned into a clone of another already existing ability of a different class... While the majority, if not all classes, get something unique. A bit disappointing...). Was having in mind mostly the Ret and Holy versions of it. Numbers will change for sure, but still...
Loras

Postby Flex » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Loras wrote:While the majority, if not all classes, get something unique.

For level 85 abilities:
DKs get a 1 minute cooldown Spell Reflect.
Druids get an amusing AOE.
Hunters get Predator Stealth
Mages get Bloodlust/Heroism
Priests get Life Grip
Rogues get Smoke Bomb, might be the first newly unique one
Shaman get casting while moving (their 81 skill is Judgement amusingly enough)
Warlocks get a unique ability based on active demon
Warriors get Heroic Leap, 2 minute cooldown uber-charge.

So the majority getting something unique is about 3 classes.

Unless you mean unique implementation of existing things, then Prot is boring but damage reduction abilities are never sexy.
Flex

Postby Loras » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Unique means... unique. Or let's say with an additional feature that makes it at least slightly different. The majority of the skills you listed are not the most suitable example, I believe.

DKs get a 1 minute cooldown Spell Reflect.
Different even if only because of the mechanics (you don't have to be the target of the spell)
It's different - no other class has a "bleed" AoE.
Hunters get Predator Stealth
A "stealth" variation where you can see your target to get him out of stealth, and at the same time making you invulnerable to some type of damage (ranged). Hardly a "reworded stealth"
Mages get Bloodlust/Heroism
It's the same, true. Although if they did keep the movement speed bonus, it would've made it unique
Priests get Life Grip
Pulling enemies and pulling friends is hardly the same thing
Rogues get Smoke Bomb, might be the first newly unique one
You said it
Shaman get casting while moving (their 81 skill is Judgement amusingly enough)
Casting while moving is quite an unique feature for the whole new expansion. As for their 81 spell, sorry, but I can hardly consider this a "reworded judgement". See below why.
Warlocks get a unique ability based on active demon
You said it
Warriors get Heroic Leap, 2 minute cooldown uber-charge.
I consider this half-unique, but still gotta wait to see what their intention for the final release of that skill will be. They're still working around it.

And now compare it to:
-Barkskin (old) - 1 min CD, 20% dmg reduction
-Bubble Wall (new) - 1 min CD, 20% dmg reduction
-Bubble Wall (old) - 2 min CD (talented), 50% reduction
-GAnK (new) - 2 min CD (talented), 60% reduction

The absolute ultimate equality is... notice-able. Now THAT is what I consider the opposite of "unique".
Not saying it's useless, it comes perfectly fine into the arsenal we have available. Just I wish it was something that could've been ranked a bit higher in the "fun factor" scale.

According to your logic, if locks have Shadowbolt, then we have 74637464 Shadowbolts in the game, for every class, every nuking spell, with a different name. That's hardly the case.
Loras

Postby Flex » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Loras wrote:Unique means... unique. Or let's say with an additional feature that makes it at least slightly different.

Slightly different ≠ unique to me. Unique is pretty much Smoke Bomb, the warlock one and, well, even the shaman one isn't truly unique as it is similar to Aspect of the Fox, but the cast while moving part is unique to cataclysm.

It's different - no other class has a "bleed" AoE.

Prot warriors do =) Death Knights do. But Wild Mushroom isn't a bleed AOE.

Not saying it's useless, it comes perfectly fine into the arsenal we have available. Just I wish it was something that could've been ranked a bit higher in the "fun factor" scale.

That bitch has huge roleplaying potential of calling forth the very essence of the ancient line holy warriors to aid you in battle. Geeky unique!

Super unique? It is a learned ability for a hybrid class that is useful to every spec of the class. Every other level 85 ability sees limited use for at least one spec in the hybrid classes.

According to your logic, if locks have Shadowbolt, then we have 74637464 Shadowbolts in the game, for every class, every nuking spell, with a different name. That's hardly the case.

But it is. How they interact with other talents/abilities is the key.
Flex

Postby kaanman36 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:50 am

Flex wrote:It is a learned ability for a hybrid class that is useful to every spec of the class. Every other level 85 ability sees limited use for at least one spec in the hybrid classes.

This is what excites me the most about Guardian of Ancient Kings. It is a level 85 ability that for a hybrid class that does something for each spec. In that aspect, GAnK is win.

Also, its boiling hatred for critters makes it pretty cool too :)
Staring at boss crotch since 2005.
Gathorc - 85 Paladin
Eitrigg US

Read my blog http://bigshinyshield.blogspot.com...or don't.
kaanman36

Postby theckhd » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:57 am

Well, it wouldn't be a true GAnK unless it preyed upon lowbies. They were going for authenticity.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:59 am

I was wondering how many pages it would be before that came out.
Invisusira

Postby Noradin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:09 am

It doesn't fly to get to critters :(

Also: Does it add mobs?
Can the prot (and holy) version die or is that only possible for the ret version of it?
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby dmok » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:16 am

Noradin wrote:Can the prot (and holy) version die or is that only possible for the ret version of it?

From what GC has stated source
The Guardian of Ancient Kings shouldn't take damage or die
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm