Remove Advertisements

That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Noradin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:33 am

Shoju wrote:I would prefer that they made Lor'themar the Quel'Belore

I don't think they would choose to name their king "high sun". They have a female sun goddess. That would be kind of conflicting.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Amanor » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:40 am

Noradin wrote:

I don't think they would choose to name their king "high sun". They have a female sun goddess. That would be kind of conflicting.

Wat. When have they ever referred to the Sun in the feminine form or as a feminine diety?
Amanor

Postby Passionario » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:17 am

"Warchief Lor'themar" has a nice ring to it.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Noradin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:02 am

Amanor wrote:
Noradin wrote:

Wat. When have they ever referred to the Sun in the feminine form or as a feminine diety?

Ever been in silvermoon? Her statue is everywhere.
They don't say it outright, but the placing implicates it.
About the reference - their language doesn't seem to have any pronouns changing with gender its all in the noun itself and "belore" doesn't give a clue.

(While the tauren call the sun An'she - the male counterpart of Mu'sha/Elune - that doesn't mean that the blood elves think of the sun as male or even that it is a male deity.)
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Arcand » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:25 pm

The "moon is female" thing comes from the coincidence that it has a four week cycle
like many human girls do - do Tauren have ox-like breeding habits? If so they might be
more likely to see the annual cycle and say "sun = female".
Arcand

Postby Amanor » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Noradin wrote:
Amanor wrote:
Noradin wrote:I don't think they would choose to name their king "high sun". They have a female sun goddess. That would be kind of conflicting.

Ever been in silvermoon? Her statue is everywhere.
They don't say it outright, but the placing implicates it.
About the reference - their language doesn't seem to have any pronouns changing with gender its all in the noun itself and "belore" doesn't give a clue.

(While the tauren call the sun An'she - the male counterpart of Mu'sha/Elune - that doesn't mean that the blood elves think of the sun as male or even that it is a male deity.)

I'd say it's a pretty big leap to assume that a nameless elven statue is the Diety represented solely by the elves as the Sun. There's quite the variety in aesthetics available when it comes to female elven statues in blood elven areas.

Thalassian isn't exactly a Tolkien language...they seem to shunt phrases and words in it as they go, so I wouldn't worry about language structure. Heck, does any language beside common have any pronouns to it?

It's far more likely, given that the Tauren and Kaldorei came across the same conclusion as to the identity of the moon, that the identity of the sun carries over as well.
Amanor

Postby Chunes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:10 am

Passionario wrote:"Warchief Lor'themar" has a nice ring to it.

I'm personally voting for Vol'jin to man up and do the warchief thing. Sylvanas being forsaken and all has little need to be the leader, belf warchief would be pretty odd due to the culture clash between traditional horde culture and belf culture and as we all know, Cairne who would have made another passive and peaceful warchief ala thrall is getting sent to the butcher block.

Vol'jin remains the only valid candidate in my opinion because he's sage-like enough to handle the logistics of being warchief, yet still "feral" enough to be that strong, gritty leader that I think the horde would rally to.

Garrosh is a d-bag, jus' sayin'.
Chunes

Postby sahiel » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:48 pm

Chunes wrote:

I'm personally voting for Vol'jin to man up and do the warchief thing. Sylvanas being forsaken and all has little need to be the leader, belf warchief would be pretty odd due to the culture clash between traditional horde culture and belf culture and as we all know, Cairne who would have made another passive and peaceful warchief ala thrall is getting sent to the butcher block.

Vol'jin remains the only valid candidate in my opinion because he's sage-like enough to handle the logistics of being warchief, yet still "feral" enough to be that strong, gritty leader that I think the horde would rally to.

Plus, I bet Warchief Vol'jin would throw some wicked parties :D
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Zonzede » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:32 pm

sahiel wrote:
Chunes wrote:

Plus, I bet Warchief Vol'jin would throw some wicked parties :D

If there's a vote among my beloved Dwarves to pick the next King of Ironforge, I'm writing in Vol'jin.
Zonzede

Postby Khayne » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:02 pm

Arcand wrote:Because no human has ever been arrogant enough to call himself The Sun King. Or the Sun Emperor. :)

Meh, Sun is so yesterday and links to previous bad administration, i'd propose a nice, less sun focused: God-Emperor...

Also, Vol'jin for the win, the guy really needs more action (as do the troll and belf leadership in general).
Khayne

Postby Arjuna » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:01 am

Khayne wrote:
Arcand wrote:Because no human has ever been arrogant enough to call himself The Sun King. Or the Sun Emperor. :)

Meh, Sun is so yesterday and links to previous bad administration, i'd propose a nice, less sun focused: God-Emperor...

Also, Vol'jin for the win, the guy really needs more action (as do the troll and belf leadership in general).

that title will be taken in, oh about 30k years...maybe... :)
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby sahiel » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:10 am

The Dark Eld... I mean Blood elves, eagerly await that time i'm sure ;)
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Cataclysm