That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:51 pm

I'd say the only split I see as being likely is Forsaken from the rest of the Horde, at the minute anyway. The Tauren might distance themselves from Orgrimmar but I don't think they'd fully remove themselves.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6988
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Chicken » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Forsaken do seem pretty... Separate from the rest of the Horde, but the others I don't really see happening. In general I wouldn't expect any changes to the factions happening in WoW though, but then again if you'd asked me two years ago if they would ever completely revise the old world I'd have said that's never going to happen either.
Image
User avatar
Chicken
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Shoju wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:jeez Shoju did you ever play Warcraft II? or read any of the novels?


Is it that obvious I don't know the history?

I have never played warcraft, II, or III.

I have read the the rise of the horde and another one.


Well basically your suggestions all run 100% contrary to pretty much the entire history of Azeroth, so yeah!
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10476
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Shoju wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:jeez Shoju did you ever play Warcraft II? or read any of the novels?


Is it that obvious I don't know the history?

I have never played warcraft, II, or III.

I have read the the rise of the horde and another one.


Well basically your suggestions all run 100% contrary to pretty much the entire history of Azeroth, so yeah!


But see, that is the beauty of it. I know a fair amount of lore, and history, but this was all meant in jest mainly.

The Night Elves hate the high elves because of their use of the arcane arts. Well... the highborne are coming back. it is time for the Sin'dorei to take charge as the superior race of elves :) They are better, and they know it, and you know it.

The forsaken, well.... I lumped them in with the humans because I don't care for either race at all.

Moo and Goat is the meeting of the hoof foot. waggle waggle and 'hao' can be their official greetings.

Orcs probably do look like giant overgrown goblins to the goblins, and I don't like gobs, so I CBA to add them to anything else. Trolls are cool Trolls are laid back. The darkspear are a secluded village away from becoming the new dancing trolls. They aren't going to do anything.

I had to separate the humans, so the gnomes and dwarfs hate varian. They live near each other, so why not? Wall themselves in from the burning steppes to the wetlands and let those stupid humans come knocking. Gnome anti aircraft death rays will ensure that flying mounts don't make it too far into the new Dwome City.

If they were going to introduce a new evil faction, I want ogres. I want satyr. I want Ko/sno-bolds, and Gnolls, and murlocs.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6391
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:29 pm

One thought I do like about the Forsaken is that their gaining the ability to produce more of themselves is a step down the road toward that scenario where without the Lich King's control the undead will swarm over all of Azeroth... I can't think what might bring them back in line now they have gained that. I can easily see them taking the first opportunity that comes to strike out on their own in a position of strength.

Once their numbers grow enough, they won't need the Horde any more.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6988
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby sahiel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:51 pm

I would have absolutely loved it if the death of Arthas was the catalyst for the Forsaken to take a good long look at what they've become, realise how close they are to becoming the very thing they hate and try to change. Clearly it would have been a slow, laborious process with lots of drama, fighting and such but I think the redemption of the Forsaken would have been a brilliant story arc, it could have tied them far more closely to the Blood Elves who have been through something sort of similar, it could have showed a depth of character and emotional interaction they've long lacked. Sadly they've just been cast as the one dimensional villains who just want to kill everyone else in the end, huge missed opportunity imo.
Image
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
User avatar
sahiel
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:31 am
Location: St Louis, MO

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Passionario » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:03 am

sahiel wrote:realise how close they are to becoming the very thing they hate


They have already become the very thing they hate several years ago. Self-loathing is one of the defining Forsaken racial/cultural traits.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
User avatar
Passionario
 
Posts: 3374
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 am

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Amanor » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:17 am

Passionario wrote:
sahiel wrote:realise how close they are to becoming the very thing they hate


They have already become the very thing they hate several years ago. Self-loathing is one of the defining Forsaken racial/cultural traits.


I imagine sahiel means less physically and more through morality/action. The realization that their enthralling the dead into servitude through undeath, the very process they were forced to endure which fueled their vengeance, being the catalyst for an epiphany.
Image
User avatar
Amanor
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby sahiel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:52 am

Amanor wrote:
Passionario wrote:
sahiel wrote:realise how close they are to becoming the very thing they hate


They have already become the very thing they hate several years ago. Self-loathing is one of the defining Forsaken racial/cultural traits.


I imagine sahiel means less physically and more through morality/action. The realization that their enthralling the dead into servitude through undeath, the very process they were forced to endure which fueled their vengeance, being the catalyst for an epiphany.


/cookie :)

That's exactly it.
Image
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
User avatar
sahiel
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:31 am
Location: St Louis, MO


Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:30 am

How could Fandral work willingly for the Old Gods? They were responsible, through the Qiraji, for the death of his son.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6988
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Sharlos » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:51 pm

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember it being mentioned that staghelm was working (either directly or indirectly) for the burning legion.
I hate signatures, but i love irony
User avatar
Sharlos
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Australia

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Sharlos wrote:I can't remember where I read it, but I remember it being mentioned that staghelm was working (either directly or indirectly) for the burning legion.


No, he was working for the Nightmare and Lord Xavius.

He's actually in a prison come Cata and part of the questline is to move him to a different prison.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11224
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Sharlos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:20 am

Ya but Xavius is/was a Burning Legion servant.
I hate signatures, but i love irony
User avatar
Sharlos
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Australia

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Passionario » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:14 am

KysenMurrin wrote:One thought I do like about the Forsaken is that their gaining the ability to produce more of themselves is a step down the road toward that scenario where without the Lich King's control the undead will swarm over all of Azeroth... I can't think what might bring them back in line now they have gained that.


The same thing that keeps humans, orcs, elves, worgen, dwarves, gnomes, goblins, draenei, gnolls, kobolds, trolls, taurens, etc. from swarming all over Azeroth and overwhelming all other species, I suppose.

After all, the living races don't have any "Life King" to control them and keep them in check. And, unlike the Forsaken, who have to rely on a limited number of Val'kyr to sustain their ranks (at a more or less fixed rate), the living can breed exponentially fast, with each generation being bigger than the last.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), Azeroth has no shortage of the ultimate form of population control: war. As long as neverending global and local conflicts within and without continue to take their toll, no race (including the Forsaken) can become utterly dominant.

KysenMurrin wrote:I can easily see them taking the first opportunity that comes to strike out on their own in a position of strength.

Once their numbers grow enough, they won't need the Horde any more.


Mmmmm. I wouldn't be so sure about that.

As far as I can tell, loyalty to the Horde is more than just a pragmatic choice for Sylvanas. It is the thing that makes all the difference between her and the Lich King, the final anchor that prevents her from turning into a complete monster. I suspect that she will hold on to it tightly, rather than cast it aside at the first opportunity.

That said, Sylvanas's interpretation of the Horde's best interests is quite... radical, to say the least, and loyalty to the Horde's ideals does not necessarily imply utmost obedience to the current administration...
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
User avatar
Passionario
 
Posts: 3374
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 am

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest