That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: That Traitorous Bastard (Lore Spoiler)

Postby Chicken » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Jonlo wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Well, I know Millhouse Manastorm is going to be a high ranking member of the Twilight Hammer cult

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Hey look on the bright side. It'll mean we'll get at least one villain in Cataclysm with awesome voice acting.
Chicken

Postby Jonlo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Chicken wrote:
Jonlo wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Well, I know Millhouse Manastorm is going to be a high ranking member of the Twilight Hammer cult

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Hey look on the bright side. It'll mean we'll get at least one villain in Cataclysm with awesome voice acting.

*sob*

Maybe he's been brainwashed, and we have to free him during an instance fight. Bonus points if they keep his EXACT dialogue from Arcatraz.
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Jonlo wrote:*sob*

Maybe he's been brainwashed, and we have to free him during an instance fight. Bonus points if they keep his EXACT dialogue from Arcatraz.

You mean, how they retconned Hal Jordan/Parallax?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Jonlo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Klaudandus wrote:

I know enough that you're talking about the Green Lantern, and how he was embodied by a Yellow Essence or something and went on a killing rampage, but I don't know more than that. Elaborate please?
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Jonlo wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:

I know enough that you're talking about the Green Lantern, and how he was embodied by a Yellow Essence or something and went on a killing rampage, but I don't know more than that. Elaborate please?

That's the recon -- The original story was just Hal Jordan going ax crazy after losing Coastal City, so he uses the power of the ring to recreate it but it's power runs out and gets admonished by the guardians for using the ring's power for selfish reasons. So he decides to go against Oa, kills several GLs including Kilowog, snaps Sinestro's neck and absorbs the Oa Battery becoming Parallax -- a power he would use to unravel the universe in the Zero Hour crossover.

Eventually DC thought they had gone too far with Hal Jordan so they made Parallax a yellow entity embodying fear that had infected Hal Jordan and thus making Hal Jordan innocent of all what had happened -- and somehow bringing Kilowog and Sinestro back to life.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Jonlo wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:

Parallax is a yellow evil as old as the universe that the Guardians trapped inside of the Green Lantern, thus the weakness to the color yellow. It sensed that Hal Jordan could be corrupted and help free him and set him down the path that led to the Zero Hour event and his death. Probably the best Geoff Johns retcon.

Draenei and Tauren form a third faction of peace loving hippies that will kick your ass for being bad.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Flex wrote:
Jonlo wrote:I know enough that you're talking about the Green Lantern, and how he was embodied by a Yellow Essence or something and went on a killing rampage, but I don't know more than that. Elaborate please?

Parallax is a yellow evil as old as the universe that the Guardians trapped inside of the Green Lantern, thus the weakness to the color yellow. It sensed that Hal Jordan could be corrupted and help free him and set him down the path that led to the Zero Hour event and his death. Probably the best Geoff Johns retcon.

Draenei and Tauren form a third faction of peace loving hippies that will kick your ass for being bad.

YMMV -- I didn't like the retcon at all. I actually thought it was rather fresh to see one of the greatest heroes ever get corrupted and just annihilate a whole organization like the green lanterns. Then again, this retcon was handled much better than Quesada's One More Day or McCarthy trashing the whole Transformers lore after Furman left IDW.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Notorius101 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Shoju wrote:I was honestly hoping that Cata would see more involvement of the Sin'dorei. Maybe Rommath being a traitor will be the kick to get more face time for Lorthemar Theron.

WTB Lor'themar without a shield and looking more like a ranger general.
WTB more cool things happening in Silvermoon
WTB just more in game stuff that makes BE's relevant and not such a waste of space.

THIS. Heck, at least Tyrandee has a unique voice. Poor Lor'themar can't even be drawn properly by the official blizzard artists -- They forgot he only has one eye!

Btw Lorthemar does have his own voice now, he even has a line about not touching his hair. He also has upgraded armor.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Notorius101

Postby Dantriges » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:14 am

Klaudandus wrote:THIS. Heck, at least Tyrandee has a unique voice. Poor Lor'themar can't even be drawn properly by the official blizzard artists -- They forgot he only has one eye!

Considering the power of healing magic, I wouldn´t be surprised if he got it regenerated.
Dantriges

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Flex wrote:Probably the best Geoff Johns retcon.

Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:17 am

Flex wrote:Draenei and Tauren form a third faction of peace loving hippies that will kick your ass for being bad.

I REALLY REALLY like the idea of a third faction. And with the treatment of Tauren leaders in Cata, I can see them leaving the horde..

Horde: Orc, Undead, Trolls, Goblins
Alliance: Human, BE, NE, Worgen
Protectors: Draenei, Dwarfs, Gnomes, Tauren
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:33 am

halabar wrote:
Flex wrote:Draenei and Tauren form a third faction of peace loving hippies that will kick your ass for being bad.

I REALLY REALLY like the idea of a third faction. And with the treatment of Tauren leaders in Cata, I can see them leaving the horde..

Let me fix this list for you

Horde: Orc, Undead, Trolls, BE
Alliance: Human, Gnomes, Goblins, Worgen
Protectos: Draenei Dorfs NE Tauren

If you try to make me ally with the alliance I will kill you.

Honestly, I would love to see the factions implode on themselves.

The horde:

The Tauren are furious about hellscreams actions, wall themselves in Mulgore, and ally themselves with the Draenei, who have left the alliance due to tensions over the allowance of corruption (warlocks).

The Orcs are pissed at Sylvanas for claiming the sentient scourge, and expels them from the horde. The goblins love the orcs, because they look like giant goblins, and become the official lackeys of the Horde. The Trolls have no reason to question the orcs, and stay with them.

The Sin'dorei are pissed at Sylvanas, and pissed at The horde, so they start looking for allies. Convinced that they can rebuild the elven culture, The night elves and blood elves form a pact, giving all interested parties the finger.

Gnomes and dwarfs realize that Varian is just too big of a wanker to deal with, leave the humans, in the dust, and fortify their position in Eastern Kingdoms.

Humans realize that they are all alone, and going to be exterminated so they quickly start the process of making ammends with the forsaken.

it will never happen, but it would set the stage for awesome wars. new ways to gain rep with factions, awesome pvp (you just 'start' somewhere. forget this silly capture the flag for a team crap) and Azeroth is plunged into amazing chaos, setting up the return of Sargeras, the legion, and the end of Azeroth.

This would give new meaning to guilds, and make guilds the factions, and raiding would have a new dynamic. You could then raid with whoever, under whatever banner you want, and be as tolerant or racist as you wanted in game.
Shoju

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:12 am

jeez Shoju did you ever play Warcraft II? or read any of the novels?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Sabindeus wrote:jeez Shoju did you ever play Warcraft II? or read any of the novels?

Is it that obvious I don't know the history?

I have never played warcraft, II, or III.

I have read the the rise of the horde and another one.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Shoju wrote:
halabar wrote:

Let me fix this list for you

Alliance: Human, Gnomes, Goblins, Worgen
Protectos: Draenei Dorfs NE Tauren

If you try to make me ally with the alliance I will kill you.

And you want me to stay with those damn NE?

Alliance: Human, Gnomes, Goblins, NE
Protectos: Draenei Dorfs Tauren Worgen
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm