Devotion Aura vs. Divinity

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Devotion Aura vs. Divinity

Postby Playdoh » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:39 am

From a purely healing perspective as a Prot Paladin how would I try to go about forming testing and hypothesis for this?

Devotion aura gives 3% bonus healing while in devo aura to the entire raid.

Divinity gives 6% bonus healing to the healing done to me and by me. How would I test if my judgement is healing a target for 6% more?

Get 2 people in a group judge the target and have the other person hit it and let judgement fall off and see if there is a healing difference?

Would Devotion Aura play into that so I would get 9% (is it additive or multiplicative) if I had both?

Or does imp hammer with a shorter cd on interupts win out over imp devo, and the ret tree over the holy tree. GoW has me fascinated, especially an almost guaranteed 30% extra healing crit on it, which i would also like to test.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Re: Devotion Aura vs. Divinity

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:46 am

In the current tooltip's implementation, Protector of the Innocent seems to say that it only increases the healing *you* do on people affected by Devotion Aura, making it a solidly a healer talent, not a tanking talent.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Noradin » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:25 am

Sabindeus wrote:In the current tooltip's implementation, Protector of the Innocent seems to say that it only increases the healing *you* do on people affected by Devotion Aura, making it a solidly a healer talent, not a tanking talent.

You might take it for the retribution aura and have another paladin use devotion making it an AoE tanking and healer talent.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Arianne » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:01 am

Why would I take a 3 point talent to increase the damage of an aura that I rarely use? If there's a Ret in the party, he's going to be using it. If there's not a Holy in the party then I'm going to be using Devo. If it's on a fight where there's some sort of AoE damage component (Sindragosa, BQL, etc) then the Holy is going to be using the appropriate resistance aura to be able to AM it and therefore I'll be using Devo. The number of times that none of those is true is going to be vanishingly small in raids.
Arianne

Postby Arcand » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 am

All kinds of content between us and the next raids. If the dungeons are still
full of soft-hitting multitudes of bad guys and we're still AoEing everything
to death and our AoE tanking ability is weakened, we might be all over
Retribution Aura.

Some of the things I said there aren't supposed to happen, but...
Arcand

Postby Arianne » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:21 pm

I'll likely be back to raiding within a month after Cataclysm drops, if not sooner. Heroics are supposed to be harder than Wrath heroics, but it's unlikely that I'll be creating a spec that is only designed for tanking heroics, nor that I'll want that spec to do the most DPS possible. People do that now because they don't raid and the heroics are so easy.
Arianne

Postby Rasmfrackn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:47 pm

Arianne wrote:Why would I take a 3 point talent to increase the damage of an aura that I rarely use? If there's a Ret in the party, he's going to be using it. If there's not a Holy in the party then I'm going to be using Devo. If it's on a fight where there's some sort of AoE damage component (Sindragosa, BQL, etc) then the Holy is going to be using the appropriate resistance aura to be able to AM it and therefore I'll be using Devo. The number of times that none of those is true is going to be vanishingly small in raids.

** THE [only] resistance aura. They're all consolidated into 1 aura that gives resist to fire, frost, AND shadow now. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 am

For the current wording, that talent seembs to be strictly a Healing talent. There's better places to spend points to if it stays like this.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lumennon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Worldie wrote:For the current wording, that talent seembs to be strictly a Healing talent. There's better places to spend points to if it stays like this.

Although not by a whole lot, apparently, now that HoJ doesn't interrupt any more... -.-
Ebbitt wrote:Arthas is sitting there watching over the front door then... SURPRISE BUTTSECKS, we just got inside by the back door and facerolled all your defenses.
Lumennon
Maintankadonor

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:59 pm

I dunno, I find plenty of use for a stun as a tank. Maybe it doesn't fall into the purview of MAINtankadins, i.e. bosses only, but I'm more than happy to have to put points into imp HoJ. I just want a shorter than 40 second cooldown on it... Gimme 20 seconds back and make it inaccessible to ret, imo. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Arjuna » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:14 am

Arianne wrote:Why would I take a 3 point talent to increase the damage of an aura that I rarely use? If there's a Ret in the party, he's going to be using it. If there's not a Holy in the party then I'm going to be using Devo. If it's on a fight where there's some sort of AoE damage component (Sindragosa, BQL, etc) then the Holy is going to be using the appropriate resistance aura to be able to AM it and therefore I'll be using Devo. The number of times that none of those is true is going to be vanishingly small in raids.

why wouldn't you use it?

There is no added benefit of us using devo aura anymore, let the ret or holy use them...

In cata where aoe tanking will be harder as it is, why wouldn't you welcome a reflective damage buff with open arms?
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Worldie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:39 am

At least for how it is now, i dont see our AoEtanking "harder", just a bit less facerollable since HotR bounces deal less damage and there's no SoC.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Arjuna » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:44 am

Worldie wrote:just a bit less facerollable since HotR bounces deal less damage and there's no SoC.

thus...harder...

I didn't say hard...

everything is relative ;)
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Worldie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:49 am

Well seeing some of the Paladins I've seen, i'd better not give a definition of "hard" for the average LFD pug -.-

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Arcand » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 am

Worldie wrote:Well seeing some of the Paladins I've seen, i'd better not give a definition of "hard" for the average LFD pug -.-

Never say anything's hard, it's an admission of weakness. You are a man of iron in a world of balsa. :mrgreen:
Arcand

Next

Return to Cataclysm