After Cata, what's left in the old world?

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby hoho » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:34 am

trellian wrote:This is actually quite funny and weird at the same time. With the software development I have been in (not many I'll admit) all features would already be in place and a beta would be used to test all functionality that was added. Our beta's where feature full and complete products and only bug fixing was allowed (got a new feature request? sure, we'll add it to the roadmap for a future release).
With Blizzard it seems they are still making huge design changes during the beta. Something that would be an absolute no-go in my development days and should have been done in an alpha release.
Well, technically, most of the mechanics is there (except classes :P). What's missing is the content that would use those mechanics e.g quests and rewards. Adding these isn't too hard. Also, this is closed beta. I'm pretty sure by the time we get public beta things will be in much better state.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Amirya » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:36 am

hoho wrote:Main reason for being bored is there is little to do in the half-finished zones and instances.

Yes, it's half finished, so everyone is doing the exact same thing. I'm playing somewhere in Mount Hyjal, my boyfriend is in the underwater areas getting one shot by some elite shark thing.

There's only so many times you can hover over Stormwind going, "That's cool!"

Class trainers are broken unless you dump a profession.

And for some godawful reason, the paladin on the account can't even keep his fully spent talent points, because it'll get set, then next time he's logged onto, they're reset to some half assed 0/0/7 spec.

Oh, and I wanted to try out a resto druid, since it looks like Blizzard is pushing towards, "level as a healer" except the premade has gear for feral or for boomkin. And even on boomkin, I'm sitting somewhere around 24% hit rating. With no hit gems or hit enchants. It's insane.

Starsurge for boomkins is pretty fun. Power Word: Barrier for disc priests is really nice, I liked that. Beyond that...I've really nothing to do.

(I want to do the prot paladin, but I'm still at a loss about the whole Holy Power thing...we're spending mana to use abilities to gain "rage" (HPow) to use "rage"? What?)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3938
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Playdoh » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:54 pm

unless you play to see it it's hard to explain.

It's 2 power sources, more like dk's than even rogues, you still need mana for your base spells. But to activate the "cool abilities" you have to stack (like combo points) holy power.

Only for prot instead of it being a "cool ability" it's holy shield, which for the most part while tanking is a must have.

I have played around with inquisition, with wings popped at the same time, and can get AS crits > 20K.

I am not sure if mastery will play any part of that or not.

while tanking in an instance on bosses you are definitely just going to want to save HoPo for HS until the shield of the righteous change comes in.

However I am not concerning myself at the moment of rather judgement > hotr or concecrate > holy wrath.

I watch for AS cd's and the HoPo to be at 3. Which right now is amount all the other buffs in the upper right of the screen (nowhere where I am used to looking for it).

I would rather have it like the concecration icon, that says i have 45 seconds left on the effect on my character panel.

I have successfully tanked all of the instances so far, and the boss mechanics are some of the best i have seen.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 10:55 am
Location: VA

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:05 pm

The answer to what is left in Azeroth is Simple. Southrend. Northrend was merely a setback.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6355
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Amirya » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Playdoh wrote:unless you play to see it it's hard to explain.

It's 2 power sources, more like dk's than even rogues, you still need mana for your base spells. But to activate the "cool abilities" you have to stack (like combo points) holy power.

Only for prot instead of it being a "cool ability" it's holy shield, which for the most part while tanking is a must have.

Maybe I'll play around with it tonight on Beta. I'm still reserving opinion on the overall changes, but right now, I'm leaning towards "Paladins are borked."

And tbqh, I don't think I care for Holy Power. In their efforts to create more "diversity" amongst classes, instead of "Rage, Mana, Energy" as your choices, you now have "Rage, Mana, Energy, Focus, Runic Power, Holy Power, and Farts."
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3938
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Dantriges » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Wasn´t there something in the southern ocean? The zandalar came from across the southern sea IIRC.
Dantriges
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I was clicking around the world map last night, and there are two "zones" south of Silithus/Un'goro that don't have map for them. I would expect you can't fly south of AQ at the moment, but I'm not sure.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
User avatar
Rasmfrackn
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:11 pm

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:I was clicking around the world map last night, and there are two "zones" south of Silithus/Un'goro that don't have map for them. I would expect you can't fly south of AQ at the moment, but I'm not sure.

From what I recall, Uldum is south of Un'Goro and nothing is south of Silithus.
Image
The Seeker.
User avatar
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4529
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:53 am
Location: Malorne

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:26 am

well before wotlk, northrend wasn't on the in game map as well. I bet you that there is a super awesome southrend down there, hanging out. It would probably be 6 zones, 85-90, and it is the original empire of some super awesomely bad pop culture referece race for5 the horde, and some silly race for the alliance. They will be embroiled in a civil war that starts spilling out into the southern reaches of EK and Kal because the refugees have no where else to go. We get there to find out that The setback duo are still not dead, and waging a silly civil war over who had the better setback line.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6355
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Chicken » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:34 am

Shoju wrote:well before wotlk, northrend wasn't on the in game map as well. I bet you that there is a super awesome southrend down there, hanging out. It would probably be 6 zones, 85-90, and it is the original empire of some super awesomely bad pop culture referece race for5 the horde, and some silly race for the alliance.
Kangaroo and Platypus people! The Kangaroo people could even have an built-in bag as racial.
Image
User avatar
Chicken
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:01 am

Chicken wrote:
Shoju wrote:well before wotlk, northrend wasn't on the in game map as well. I bet you that there is a super awesome southrend down there, hanging out. It would probably be 6 zones, 85-90, and it is the original empire of some super awesomely bad pop culture referece race for5 the horde, and some silly race for the alliance.
Kangaroo and Platypus people! The Kangaroo people could even have an built-in bag as racial.


The panderans finally appear, if China continues to give Blizz problems.

I guess it's the Emerald dream and all that next.

But back to my original question, are there any specific zones that still will not have been developed yet after Cata? Seems like they are cleaning up most if not all of the unused spots in the old world. But yeah, new islands can always be discovered...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9379
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:00 am

Kul Tiras (Alliance navy's base, a kingdom ruled by Jaina's father), Zandalar (home of the Zandalar tribe, of which the ones in STV are a small offshoot), and Nazjatar (underwater capital city of the Naga) come to mind. They could also bring in a post-Cataclysm version of Kezan. If there's an expansion focusing more on the Maelstrom and the Naga there's a lot near to it they could use.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Gracerath » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:34 am

In Stormwind in the canal district between the main area (forget what its called but its the central area with the bank, AH, inn, etc) and Old town, currently there is a gate in front of what looks like some sort of instance portal. I've heard several different theories about what it was supposed to be, I'm just curious if that is still there or did they finally remove it and if its still there if anyone has some sort of confirmation about what its intended to be.

It would sure be neat if they opened up and did something with the crypt below Karazhan. For anyone who may be checking out the leveling zones, does Deadwind Pass actually have any more quests beyond the ones you get outside of Karazhan for the keying process?
Bye space sword!
User avatar
Gracerath
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Dantriges » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:43 am

There was a zone list floating around up to level 110. IIRC the list differs now from the actual implemented zones but up to cataclysm it was pretty much spot on.
Dantriges
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby Chicken » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:48 am

Dantriges wrote:There was a zone list floating around up to level 110. IIRC the list differs now from the actual implemented zones but up to cataclysm it was pretty much spot on.
That list gets edited every single expansion and then reposted. It's just based on the RPG books. Don't put any stock into it.
Image
User avatar
Chicken
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest