Remove Advertisements

After Cata, what's left in the old world?

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:38 am

Got to thinking last night after looking at some Cata vids, and was wondering, after Cata, what will Blizz have left to do in the old world? Any more zones that are still walled off, or mysterious doors that go nowhere(yet)?..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Re: After Cata, what's left in the old world?

Postby hoho » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:42 am

Pretty sure you can fly everywhere and only limitation will be fatigue when flying too far from coast. Though in beta some unfinished zones seem to be surrounded by invisible walls, I expect those to be removed when they are completed.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Chunes » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:44 am

Likely not much. Good time for Argus, Xoroth, Emerald Dream etc.

:D
Chunes

Postby hoho » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:54 am

As for what else can they add to it, the can always have the sea level lower down again to free up new areas of land or new islands :)
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Fazon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:15 am

A thought occured after I read this.

Many old zones are being redesigned right...

So what happens if you don't buy the expansion? Are you stuck in the old zones and out of phase with everyone else?

It would be like an ery ghost town...trapped in a time behind everyone else :o
Fazon

Postby vertinog » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:32 am

Fazon wrote:A thought occured after I read this.

Many old zones are being redesigned right...

So what happens if you don't buy the expansion? Are you stuck in the old zones and out of phase with everyone else?

It would be like an ery ghost town...trapped in a time behind everyone else :o

The content patch will still apply and change the zones, you just wont have access to certain areas, levels and dungeons.
vertinog

Postby Amirya » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:48 am

Timbermaw Hold is left.

Actually, I don't know that, as I haven't hit Azshara because I'm currently bored of the Beta.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:07 am

Amirya wrote: because I'm currently bored of the Beta.

I'm hearing this more and more, and the more I do, I think WoW is gonna start a fast slide. Deathwing will be the last big thing. Everyone I know in game is bored, leaving, or scaling back. Already decided that I'll only be leveling my hunters in Cata. Pally is done, shammy will be deleted soon.

If the SWTOR comes out reasonable soon and is worthwhile, I see a mass exodus..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Dantriges » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:10 am

Depends if the actual expansion will be boring, too. There is much missing like the raid content.

At the moment we are more or less farming the same instance since before the beginning of the year.
Dantriges

Postby Belloc » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:40 am

halabar wrote:

I'm hearing this more and more, and the more I do, I think WoW is gonna start a fast slide. Deathwing will be the last big thing. Everyone I know in game is bored, leaving, or scaling back. Already decided that I'll only be leveling my hunters in Cata. Pally is done, shammy will be deleted soon.

If the SWTOR comes out reasonable soon and is worthwhile, I see a mass exodus..

Of course people are bored with the beta... I was bored with the WotLK beta when I hit level 77 (max level at the time). Betas are boring.
Belloc

Postby Chunes » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:43 am

Amirya wrote:I'm currently bored of the Beta.

some other ungrateful beta participant wrote:I've had a beta key for a week or so now, just now getting it installed, i might play it a little

Not having beta access, reading things like this (and the 2nd quote is pretty much verbatim from some other poster I read on another forum) pretty much makes me die a little on the inside.

edit*

the wrath beta, when I finally got in, was anything but boring assuming "World Server is Down" wasn't ruining my birthday.

I devoured the wrath beta, did all the quests, read all the quest text, took my time playing, got to know the game etc. When it came time for live, I leveled like a furious madman and hit the endgame. I basically want beta access to have an excuse to take my time in the game, rather than feeling pressured to do everything as fast as I can just to get a headstart on endgame/AH/profs/etc.
Chunes

Postby hoho » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:48 am

halabar wrote:
I'm hearing this more and more, and the more I do, I think WoW is gonna start a fast slide
Main reason for being bored is there is little to do in the half-finished zones and instances.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Chunes » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:00 am

hoho wrote:
halabar wrote:
I'm hearing this more and more, and the more I do, I think WoW is gonna start a fast slide
Main reason for being bored is there is little to do in the half-finished zones and instances.

That makes sense then. It is still very early in the beta. I got in the wrath beta when they had not even implemented storm peaks/icecrown yet. I had plenty of time to level up while they figured that stuff out and I dinged 80 like a week or two before wrath went live.

I'm just really hoping I get into the beta a little earlier because I'd probably completely stop playing live.
Chunes

Postby trellian » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:27 am

hoho wrote:
halabar wrote:

This is actually quite funny and weird at the same time. With the software development I have been in (not many I'll admit) all features would already be in place and a beta would be used to test all functionality that was added. Our beta's where feature full and complete products and only bug fixing was allowed (got a new feature request? sure, we'll add it to the roadmap for a future release).
With Blizzard it seems they are still making huge design changes during the beta. Something that would be an absolute no-go in my development days and should have been done in an alpha release.
trellian

Postby Zalaria » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 am

trellian wrote:This is actually quite funny and weird at the same time. With the software development I have been in (not many I'll admit) all features would already be in place and a beta would be used to test all functionality that was added. Our beta's where feature full and complete products and only bug fixing was allowed (got a new feature request? sure, we'll add it to the roadmap for a future release).
With Blizzard it seems they are still making huge design changes during the beta. Something that would be an absolute no-go in my development days and should have been done in an alpha release.

What Blizzard calls beta is more of an open alpha until near the end. It makes sense, though. With the way the game is set up, they need the feedback from players and they need the testing of non-devs to see what happens with the pieces they have available.
It also lets bugfixing and playtesting occur while the art groups work on unfinished parts.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Cataclysm