Remove Advertisements

Beta build 12644 (July 30, 2010)

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Beta build 12644 (July 30, 2010)

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:47 pm

Noradin wrote:I feel that the way warriors are going at the moment there won't be a way to match the design goals they stated for paladins since we aren't allowed do have things warriors already got and their designers are always faster.

I think the only reason why Warriors feel more polished is because they don't have to deal with a new resource system like the paladin team. There's still hope -- so lets wait.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Loras » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:34 pm

People are not QQ-ing because Cata paladin tanking will be different than WotlK paladin tanking (just like the latter was different than TBC paladin tanking). They are QQ-ing because it just looks plain broken. With every new build they do not seem to "improve" things, they seem to be breaking them more and more, I agree they seem a bit clueless...

With that said, I really don't understand some of the fears/concerns expressed in the topic. Changes at the moment come and go so fast and to such a great extent, that I'd expect tomorrow for them to announce Crusader Strike to be a melee attack that "heals" the target-of-your-target, and you're worried about the current mana cost of Avenger Shield if they make it part of our single target. Do you really think they'll overlook such a simple thing in the finalized version...? :wink:

It's like seeing a new 5-floor building with only the first floor being ready, and worrying how the chimney will look like or if it will fit the house.
Loras

Postby Modal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:54 pm

GC in a warrior feedback thread, but highly relevant to us as well:

Currently we are looking really hard at AE damage abilities by all tanks. We tried Thunder Clap with no cooldown and didn't like it. We also tried Thunder Clap with a Consecrate-like talent, but I'm not sure we like that either. At the moment we are thinking of nerfing any of the really passive AEs, including Swipe, Death and Decay, Damage Shield and Consecrate. All of those abilities (well, maybe not Damage Shield) would still be usable, but they would be more situational.
Modal

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:56 pm

I think the bottom line concern here is that as we go forward in time, the developer's vision for protection paladins seems to become increasingly muddled instead of increasingly clarified.

That's a good reason to be concerned.
Steve

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Modal wrote:GC in a warrior feedback thread, but highly relevant to us as well:

Currently we are looking really hard at AE damage abilities by all tanks. We tried Thunder Clap with no cooldown and didn't like it. We also tried Thunder Clap with a Consecrate-like talent, but I'm not sure we like that either. At the moment we are thinking of nerfing any of the really passive AEs, including Swipe, Death and Decay, Damage Shield and Consecrate. All of those abilities (well, maybe not Damage Shield) would still be usable, but they would be more situational.

I know, but has the paladin team read it? AS had its mana usage drop from 26% to 6% and then you have the CD reduction talent and the chance to refresh the CD. We already saw the nerf to HotR -- with every jump reducing the damage by 50%
---
Klaudandus

Postby Modal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:02 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I know, but has the paladin team read it? AS had its mana usage drop from 26% to 6% and then you have the CD reduction talent and the chance to refresh the CD. We already saw the nerf to HotR -- with every jump reducing the damage by 50%

I am pretty sure that there isn't a "paladin team" that's distinct from the "class team."

Also where did you see this HotR nerf? I haven't read anything about that.

Mostly, though, I don't see what these points about AS and HotR have to do with GC comments about "really passive AoE threat" from consecrate, DnD, swipe, and damage shields.
Modal

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:08 pm

Modal wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I know, but has the paladin team read it? AS had its mana usage drop from 26% to 6% and then you have the CD reduction talent and the chance to refresh the CD. We already saw the nerf to HotR -- with every jump reducing the damage by 50%

I am pretty sure that there isn't a "paladin team" that's distinct from the "class team."

Also where did you see this HotR nerf? I haven't read anything about that.

Mostly, though, I don't see what these points about AS and HotR have to do with GC comments about "really passive AoE threat" from consecrate, DnD, swipe, and damage shields.

It's on the new Hammer of the Righteous tooltip -- while the first target gets the full 300% weapon damage, each subsequent jump docks the damage by 50%. If i'm correct, its 300%, 150%, 75% as it jumps.

http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/53595/hamm ... righteous/
---
Klaudandus

Postby Modal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Klaudandus wrote:It's on the new Hammer of the Righteous tooltip -- while the first target gets the full 300% weapon damage, each subsequent jump docks the damage by 50%. If i'm correct, its 300%, 150%, 75% as it jumps.

Interesting that I hadn't seen that change highlighted anywhere. This seems like a positive change to me; the quote above suggests that insofar as they're nerfing our AoE threat, it will be the new norm: NO tanks will be good at AoE threat gen. But it makes HotR a better single-target strike.
Modal

Postby steadypal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:37 pm

anyone else miss the original holy shield on 1 min CD, with each HP adding 10 seconds to the duration? lol, that seemed more easy for blizz to adjust around, now this crap we have.. make it 15% baseline holy shield, and either have holy power effect another ability or add something to holy shield.. starting out with 0% is pretty fail,, our new word of glory overheal talent is a joke, who would risk not having holy shield for a talent that OOPS we werent topped off when i hit the heal,,, my holy power went to waste...

seal of truth is ONLY stacking from auto attacks, multi mobtanking will be a night mare with hotr going 50% less dmg, and not applying the debuff.. our new t1 talents are pretty fail to, a talent that gives + healing only when devo aura is up? or a 40sec on the GCD hoj? pretty fail there..

halllowed ground? why dump the dmg increase from it? reduce the mana cost? mana is NOT an issue from what i can see atm...

and what now they are going to work pally threat around us having a 2min AW cd?
steadypal

Postby Lieris » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:23 pm

In their zeal to nerf AOE tanking I hope they don't overdo it and make it a complete pain to do. You can put money on PUG DPS in heroics spending most of their time face down on the ground while swearing at the tank for the first few months of Cata until they finally acclimatise. Oh joy :/
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Flitter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Klaudandus wrote:If it makes you feel better, this is my thread on the tanking forums.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 9878&sid=1

Seems you just got a blue response:

We'd like to give Prot paladins (Ret too) passive spell hit somewhere.

We'd also like to find a way to bring Shield of Righteousness back, but only if we can find an actual niche for it -- not just "here's another attack." Something like it consuming Holy Power but refreshing Holy Shield.

Word of Glory has no cooldown. It is limited by Holy Power production.
Flitter

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:06 pm

Flitter wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:If it makes you feel better, this is my thread on the tanking forums.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 9878&sid=1

Seems you just got a blue response:

We'd like to give Prot paladins (Ret too) passive spell hit somewhere.

We'd also like to find a way to bring Shield of Righteousness back, but only if we can find an actual niche for it -- not just "here's another attack." Something like it consuming Holy Power but refreshing Holy Shield.

Word of Glory has no cooldown. It is limited by Holy Power production.

Not the first time I've fished a crab; tho I must say that the first one did earn me a vacation in the cooler for 2 weeks >.>
---
Klaudandus

Postby Amirya » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Norfolk wrote:I haven't had a chance to log into Beta in the last couple of days, but does anyone know if you can finally learn abilities without having to unlearn a profession with the latest beta build?

My lvl 81 ret paly on beta still couldn't learn spells from earlier levels a week ago unless I opted to unlearn smithing or mining (so I'd been playing on my Worgen)

Still broken as of last night.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Phonic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:45 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
It's on the new Hammer of the Righteous tooltip -- while the first target gets the full 300% weapon damage, each subsequent jump docks the damage by 50%. If i'm correct, its 300%, 150%, 75% as it jumps.

http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/53595/hamm ... righteous/

Is it a 50% overall? or by 50%...

ie: 300%, then 250%, then 200% would be the other way to interpret that tooltip.
Phonic

Postby steadypal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:48 pm

tooltip must be bugged says 450%...

cant get conviction to proc at all, wtb more crit :P

inquisition is NICE..... so they have until lvl 85 to fix holy shield HEH

oh and it feels so WEIRD having AS hitting like a truck, 15k crits, while hotr is hitting for 3k lol... yes please, hmm wish i xferred with glyph of AS lol..
steadypal

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm