Remove Advertisements

Ask a beta tester thread

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Ask a beta tester thread

Postby Huon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:58 pm

Arianne wrote:What does Holy Wrath scaling look like? Is HW HoPo use implemented? Do you find it interesting game play to use HW on cooldown? Does Vindication still get applied by other attacks?

Holy Wrath isn't using HoPo, and I don't think I have read that they intended to make it so.

Using HW on cooldown isn't bad. Its a reliable way to proc vindication on ALL mobs around you and the fact that the damage is split by all targets in range means that you don't (theoretically, see rest of the post) lose any damage by using it against only 1 target). Incidentally, yes vindication gets proc'ed still by most attacks and abilities. The fun part is that Using your crusader strike has a 20% chance to reset your HW cooldown, so thats a new proc to watch.

As far as scaling goes, I haven't noticed since I was 80, but here are some numbers to crunch around:

Using regular gear set, non crit:
- Hitting one target: 2901
- Hitting two targets: 1613 (on each target)
- Hitting three targets: 1183 (on each target)

Damage using darkmoon card Greatness (+90 str), non crit:
- Hitting one target:2933
- Hitting two targets: 1636
- Hitting three targets: 1277

So quick math says two things:
- More targets will result in more damage overall (2 target hits are more than half of single target hit)
And
- HW seems to scale with str using a 1:3 ratio. (approx)
Last edited by Huon on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Huon

Postby Xenix » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Looks like the base damage is split between all the mobs and then your +dmg (which in your case is ~323-325) gets added on to each individual hit. Interesting.
Last edited by Xenix on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby Chicken » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:06 pm

It should be noted that where WoWHead says Holy Power it actually means Holy Spell Power; if you have scripting enabled and head to their website and hold your mouse over where it says "Holy Power" it'll show a tooltip showing "Holy Spell Power".
Chicken

Postby Huon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:11 pm

That explains much, thanks.
Huon

Postby Arianne » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:50 pm

And 'Holy Spell Power' is what we get at level 10 Protection from whatever they turned Touched By the Light into?
Arianne

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Huon wrote:- HW seems to scale with str using a 1:3 ratio. (approx)

Holy Wrath is based on Spell Power, and Touched by the Light grants 30% of your Str as Spellpower
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Chicken » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:54 am

Arianne wrote:And 'Holy Spell Power' is what we get at level 10 Protection from whatever they turned Touched By the Light into?
Yes. The reference was just recently changed from spell power to holy spell power as (oddly enough) our healing doesn't scale with holy spell power.
Chicken

Postby sherck » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:18 am

Is anyone playing Holy on Beta?

I have a lot of questions about Holy but will not bother people with posting them if no one is healing.

As an aside, is anyone healing with any class? I have questions on Trees and Priests as well.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Candiru » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:57 am

Question:
Do you still generate HolyPower if your CS is dodge/parry/missed?
Candiru

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 am

sherck wrote:Is anyone playing Holy on Beta?

I have a lot of questions about Holy but will not bother people with posting them if no one is healing.

As an aside, is anyone healing with any class? I have questions on Trees and Priests as well.

Cheers,

I got a pally healer in BRC last night and I asked them how Holy was going for them and they said "everything is broken" But they kept me alive decently...
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Huon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:45 am

Candiru wrote:Question:
Do you still generate HolyPower if your CS is dodge/parry/missed?

You do not. your CS has to land to gain the HoPo. Potentially making expertise and hit more valuable than they are now, depending on the final iteration of the mechanics of Holy shield.
Huon

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:23 am

They've said that they won't be letting people reach a hit cap in raids, and that they would be increasing chance to miss for each new tier to keep up with it. So I certainly hope that 100% HS only depending on 100% of Crusader Strikes landing is going to be iterated right out.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Archeth » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:47 am

They said you won't be able to cap hit? I must have missed that then, all I remembered was that the hit cap will increase with new bosses so you're not auto-capped after the first raid tier and consider hit rating a near worthless stat, like most classes do in ICC atm. They mentioned some caps that won't be reachable anymore, like the block cap, or 100% mastery, but I didn't see where they mentioned hit as well.
Last edited by Archeth on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archeth

Postby Tev » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 am

I know they wanted to get away from stats that have a cap, like hit, once you reach 100%, no point in having more. All other stats as far I can think either can be staced infinitely for added benefit, or the cap is not reachable.

The thing about hit is I thing it is something you should be able to realisticly cap, some raids would be near impossible if that 1% chance to be resisted on key spell X caused a wipe and the flip side is that they make it so that key spell X... really isn't that key. Of coarse the progressive hit cap each teir may not be a bad thing, it would keep the next tier of +hit gear desirable, but just feels like sloppy patch work to me.
Tev

Postby Flex » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:30 am

PsiVen wrote:They've said that they won't be letting people reach a hit cap in raids

No they didn't. I believe it was they wont let you trivialize reaching hit cap in later tiers by increasing miss chance for later raids.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm