Remove Advertisements

Ask a beta tester thread

SPOILERS Discussion about the Cataclysm Beta SPOILERS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Ask a beta tester thread

Postby Rasmfrackn » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Yeah, warriors definitely have some decent spec-minor talents in arms and fury. I like divinity a lot now, but they seem to have more for survival. Though I'm super psyched I can still get PoJ. :)

Random observation for the day: I finally got some playtime in on the beta. I even got to 81 in between all the "WORLD SERVER DOWN" messages.

At 80, in my usual tank gear, I had about 20% dodge and 12% parry (no anticipation or deflection or defense gear. I'm around like 28% and 21% on live I think, in my more threat-ish gear.). When I hit 81, I dropped down to 15 and 10%. The rating curve is going to be STEEP in those 5 levels. I guess that's to be expected and all part of tuning, so that's fine, but level 80 is going to feel awesome with raid epics compared to the feeling as we get to 81 or 82.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:16 am

Rasmfrackn wrote:Yeah, warriors definitely have some decent spec-minor talents in arms and fury. I like divinity a lot now, but they seem to have more for survival. Though I'm super psyched I can still get PoJ. :)

Random observation for the day: I finally got some playtime in on the beta. I even got to 81 in between all the "WORLD SERVER DOWN" messages.

At 80, in my usual tank gear, I had about 20% dodge and 12% parry (no anticipation or deflection or defense gear. I'm around like 28% and 21% on live I think, in my more threat-ish gear.). When I hit 81, I dropped down to 15 and 10%. The rating curve is going to be STEEP in those 5 levels. I guess that's to be expected and all part of tuning, so that's fine, but level 80 is going to feel awesome with raid epics compared to the feeling as we get to 81 or 82.

You had PARRY??? Did you drop a profession?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Rasmfrackn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Bahaha. Yeah, I uh... I went inscription when it came out. I thought it would be the next jewelcrafting. Instead I got a profession that I've just maxxed out on an alt without leaving a major city. I'm waiting to see which GOOD profession I should switch to. And, with glyph vendors available, there's absolutely no reason to have it that I can't just learn from MMO Champ. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Huon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Dear lord, please let there be a patch today. Its been what? 8 days ?

I'd like to hope that it means a huge chunk of content is on the way (aka raise level cap/ open new zones, etc).

I mainly want a new build to fix talents and training, so I can actually test stuff out in instances!
Huon

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Huon wrote:Dear lord, please let there be a patch today. Its been what? 8 days ?

I'd like to hope that it means a huge chunk of content is on the way (aka raise level cap/ open new zones, etc).

I mainly want a new build to fix talents and training, so I can actually test stuff out in instances!

me too. :(
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Huon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Goodie new build. From a blue post, it SOUNDS like level cap is raised to 85, but not 100% sure yet. I imagine its a big patch, and I imagine it will take a while to get live.

also, I won't be posting for another 4 days due to moving :roll: So I hope they put the realm back up soonly.

Always right when I have to leave for a while...
Huon

Postby Huon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:53 pm

This won't be my official feedback, and it will have to wait until tuesday but...

Just from questing and practicing playing, I REALLY don't like the current playstyle for prot. It feels EXTREMELY clunky and really sucks.

Right now,it boils down to waiting for CD to be up, and waiting for 3 stacks of HoHo (which takes FOREVER to get because CS and hammer are 4.5 sec CD).

REALLY sucks with this iteration. I will try an instance when I get back... :?
Last edited by Huon on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huon

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:01 pm

I certainly agree with you, Huon. Having an empty GCD once every 30 seconds is fine, but the way Prot CDs are set up atm, after you burn HW, you run out of shit to do. We could also really use a secondary source of Holy Power. The way it's set up now, Holy Shield has a 20 second duration and it takes a minimum of 13.5s to get 3 stacks of Holy Power. That's only 1 stack left over, which is essentially worthless.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Huon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Totally, no fun at all.

and Honestly, Inquisition for "AOE threat instead of ShoR" is going to need to be planned ahead of time at least 15 sec to make sure you have 3 HoPo, because let me tell you, even at 3 stacks, which is 12 seconds of inquisition, ITS SOOOOOOOOOOO SHORT.

Worst implementation yet I am afraid. AGAIN ,I wish they would go back to 10 second duration of HS and Inquisition per HoPo and balance us around keeping Inq up and whatnot. Make it so good tanks will keep Inq and HS up by alternating HoPo use and bad tanks won't, but it won't matter in regular instances, etc.

Something like (using a shorter CD on CS maybe):
3 HoPo --> HS lasts 30 sec
CS
CS
CS
3 Hopo --> Inquisition lasts 30 sec
CS
CS
CS
3 HoPo --> refresh HS before it expires
etc.

At least change it... to SOMETHING else, anything.

EDIT: also, the new hammer of the Righteous isn't exactly... fun. I'm not sure what the intent was. It became basically exactly like Holy wrath except that it doesn't "split" the damage... very boring...
Huon

Postby amh » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:16 am

Do current spellpower-gems get converted to intellect? Do current intellect-gems get converted to spirit?
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:45 am

If they really want to push the cooldown/HoPo model, they really need to do one of two things:
-Make the base rotation fuller and more predictable, so that the cooldowns just substitute something for something else
-Move to a warrior model by giving us a filler spell

Having lots of empty GCDs just so we can fit in AS when/if GC procs isn't fun and engaging gameplay. But something like:

AS if it procs
CS on cooldown for HoPo
ShoR at 3 stacks of HoPo
Judgement on cooldown
Filler Spell in any empty GCD

Really, Crusader Strike is the most sensible choice for a filler spell. That would mean moving the Holy Power generation to HotR, which would honestly be fine since it would be the only AoE spell in our single-target rotation. Shorten HotR to 4.5 seconds, shorten CS to 0 seconds, and voila:

HotR-Jud-CS-HotR-CS-CS-HotR-ShoR-Jud

Later, Rinse, Repeat. Substitute AS in for CS whenever it procs - I left it out since presumably we lead off with it, and with any chance they'll design it like S&B such that it'll proc before the cooldown is up most of the time.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Lieris » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:59 am

theckhd wrote:Really, Crusader Strike is the most sensible choice for a filler spell.

Either that or turn it into a Revenge-esque on block/parry/dodge thing. I was excited about getting CS until they revealed it would share a cooldown with HotR.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:15 am

Well if it makes anyone feel better, Ret is totally awesome in this patch. <_<
Sabindeus

Postby steadypal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:57 am

ya, idk wtf they are doing, cs shares cd with hotr, yet hotr is doing 1k more dmg..

i like the idea of cs being our devastate spam spell actually, give us a sword n board type ability for it and we g2g

and hmm they want us to use AS, but they just nerfed it by 50% dmg, so MEH, as doing 4k dmg, shield slam doing 4k dmg, cs doing 800, hotr doing 1500ish
steadypal

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:24 am

It's an issue of making both Ret and Prot work at the same time, I guess. Ret works in its current form, which means Crusader Strike as the regular Holy Power builder. They can't remove Ret's baseline Holy Power generator just so that it can become Prot's spammable filler spell, and they can't make Holy Power trivial for Prot by making the generator spammable.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm