[10N] Solo Tanking the LK and P3 Vile Spirits?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10N] Solo Tanking the LK and P3 Vile Spirits?

Postby branwell » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:39 am

We are moving out of the P3 transition with the King and one or two Raging Spirits on the tank.

Given our groups configuration, can you think of a good strategy to deal with the Vile Spirits given a solo tank?

Heals:
Disc Priest
Resto Druid
Resto Shammy

Tank:
Pally

Range:
Arcane Mage
Arcane Mage
Elemental Shammy
Desto Lock

DPS:
DK
DK

Much appreciated.
Epicdwarf ( Grizzly Hills )
branwell

Re: [10N] Solo Tanking the LK and P3 Vile Spirits?

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:42 am

Can one of your mages go fire?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby warden » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 am

Have the DPS DKs take turns soaking them. AMS, IBF if needed, switch between waves if one is out of cooldowns. You'll lose minimal dps on LK that way.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby branwell » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks for the suggestion Warden. Makes sense. Will give that a try.

Re Fire. Most likely. I don't know the class though. If they did, what then?
branwell

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:41 am

If they go fire, have them dot up the spirits with living bomb and then the lock can go to town with Seed of Corruption.

We've never actually done that, but I've heard it works. We originally had a DK tank eating the spirit explosions, but even as a tank he was getting too mauled and we had to remove him. It's like he was instant gibbed every time. Other than that, we've always used dual paladin tanks and our healers much prefer it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby warden » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:57 pm

We've killed the spirits before too, with spriest/lock (it was dicey) or spriest/firemage/lock (really easy), and that was at 5 or 10%, so if the mage is rolling living bombs on em and the lock is seeding, you should be able to get most of em. If you try this and they're not dying, make sure the lock is tab-targeting and not just spamming seed on the same target. Spamming only works if you have a solid source of damage (like mind sear) that is setting them off. Living bomb won't set off every seed til the bombs start exploding.

As far as the DK soaking is concerned, having AMS up for the big volume of spirits is the key. The first isolated 2-3 he can take, but when the 5-7 that usually come down almost together hit, he needs to have AMS up or he's toast.

Good luck with the attempts :)

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Mages go fire, warlock goes Demo (or affliction).

Alternatively, tank the LK in the middle of the room (the center of the circle) and have your raid spread out evenly along the circle. The spirits will detonate, but shouldn't kill anyone, assuming adequate heals. Your disc's shields should do most of the work. My current guild accomplished this at, like, 15%, I think. My previous guild accomplished the exact same thing at 0%. It's all about healing it up (which is incredibly easy at 30%).

That's exactly how my current guild (not the best) got their first LK kill. Tanks couldn't handle soaking properly. Just spread out and eat it :P
Belloc

Postby theckhd » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:42 am

Last night my alt's 10-man group had Spriest/Afflock(me)/Demolock, and the three of us managed to blow up all but one or two each wave before they activated. We just soaked or killed the leftovers individually depending on what was easier.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Donahu » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:34 am

For your raid comp, you can actually use your priest (I know, he is disc, but it works) grab the glyph of mind sear and in combination with the other DPS you'll not have an issue. If the other healers in your run can not take up the slack from him doing this on the Vile Spirit spawns than it's not a good suggestion but it is just another tool for your toolbox :).
Donahu

Postby Malthrax » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:58 am

If you have two DKs, like you said, each DK should be able to soak (most of) an entire wave by chaining Antimagic Shield & Icebound Fortitude. That's two waves. Each DK also has an Army of the Dead they can use to soak an entire wave. That's four waves. Your Shamen can use their Earth Elementals to soak a wave, too.
Malthrax

Postby Belloc » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:17 am

Malthrax wrote:If you have two DKs, like you said, each DK should be able to soak (most of) an entire wave by chaining Antimagic Shield & Icebound Fortitude. That's two waves. Each DK also has an Army of the Dead they can use to soak an entire wave. That's four waves. Your Shamen can use their Earth Elementals to soak a wave, too.

Army doesn't soak a wave -- it taunts them until the army disappears. You still have to kill/eat the wave.
Belloc

Postby branwell » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:51 pm

We got the king down..... finally...

Thanks for all the great advice. Really helped and much appreciated.
branwell

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel